Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 09:15 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (oc_civic)

...why did you reset your ecu.. what effect does that have on plugs?
It's just a good habit to get into IMHO. I reset my ECU after I change anything on the engine. Doesn't take that long; doesn't hurt anything. It seems to make a difference, but I wouldn't put any money on it...
Old 11-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (BlackDeuceCoupe)

...why did you reset your ecu.. what effect does that have on plugs?

It's just a good habit to get into IMHO. I reset my ECU after I change anything on the engine. Doesn't take that long; doesn't hurt anything. It seems to make a difference, but I wouldn't put any money on it...
i used to believe that also.. but i have come to understand that our ecus are NOT addaptive.. as in they do not grow custom to certain situations.. unless they throw a red flag (CEL kinda stuff) so going from a NON problamatic state to an equaly non problematic state.. resetign the ECU is completely WRONG.. adn may in fact cause damage.. as it is a HARD reset.. liek on any computer.. just abruptly removing the power source is NOT good.. once again.. i don't know this to be fact.. and im NOT sayign you are wrong.. im simply asking as to further my own know how of how this all works..
Old 11-16-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (oc_civic)

honda ecu's have a fuel trim variable that adjusts the afr slightly to suit given environmental and driving conditions. resetting the ecu drops this trim and allows the ecu to relearn based on the new mods. IMO just helps it run a little smoother
Old 11-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (Feuerraeder)

honda ecu's have a fuel trim variable that adjusts the afr slightly to suit given environmental and driving conditions. resetting the ecu drops this trim and allows the ecu to relearn based on the new mods. IMO just helps it run a little smoother
but this is based on constantly changing readings.. not what the car was when he last shut it off.... so i still don't get that whole.. oh you put on an intake.. you better reset your ecu.. WHY.. when you start the car.. IF more air is present and the A/F mixture is differant it WILL read that and it WILL adjust based on that.. based on the NEW conditions? right or wrong?
Old 11-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (Feuerraeder)

yea, very imformative and especially good for us sohc engines. thanks man.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:28 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...i still don't get that whole.. oh you put on an intake.. you better reset your ecu... WHY...
Let's not hijack Spade's thread! If you talk to 10 different ppl about resetting ECU's and you'll get 10 different opinions.

From my experience and understanding, ECU's WILL 'learn' and 'remember' a certain range of values from which to operate its' various functions. When you reset an ECU, these values return to a neutral predetermined state. It takes a certain length of time for the ECU to 'find' a range of values from which to operate once the car has been restarted. On a Honda CiViC, this is supposed to be around 5 minutes.

The theory goes that this 'learn and remember' process precludes the ECU from having to 'relearn' these values from scratch everytime you start your car. In other words, when you reset an ECU, it maps in a predetermined base value for all settings on the vehicle, then the ECU 'discovers' an operating range of real-world values immediately after the initial startup phase. It is from within these range of values that it continues to operate until the next hard reset.

IMHO, anytime you change anything on your engine, you should reset your ECU - but, this is strictly my opinion. I've heard ppl say you should reset your ECU if you change your brand of gasoline, or its' octane. Opinions are all over the place on this subject.

Anyway, let's leave it at that, okay?!?!?!? If you want to continue this discussion, let's start another thread.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (Inigo Montoya)

Also, Header. There will be both 4-2-1 and 4-1 designs. By and large, a 4-1 will give you better top end, but you will loose on the bottom (I also think you have more of a chance of damamging it if you lower your car, it hangs lower) the 4-2-1 will give you more low end and mid range power.
I dont think i have ever seen a 4-1 header on a sohc....who makes one?
my dc 4-2-1 is one of the best mods ive made to this motor
Old 11-16-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (DevilSolSi)

well said
Old 11-17-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (BlackDeuceCoupe)

...i still don't get that whole.. oh you put on an intake.. you better reset your ecu... WHY...

Let's not hijack Spade's thread! If you talk to 10 different ppl about resetting ECU's and you'll get 10 different opinions.

From my experience and understanding, ECU's WILL 'learn' and 'remember' a certain range of values from which to operate its' various functions. When you reset an ECU, these values return to a neutral predetermined state. It takes a certain length of time for the ECU to 'find' a range of values from which to operate once the car has been restarted. On a Honda CiViC, this is supposed to be around 5 minutes.

The theory goes that this 'learn and remember' process precludes the ECU from having to 'relearn' these values from scratch everytime you start your car. In other words, when you reset an ECU, it maps in a predetermined base value for all settings on the vehicle, then the ECU 'discovers' an operating range of real-world values immediately after the initial startup phase. It is from within these range of values that it continues to operate until the next hard reset.

IMHO, anytime you change anything on your engine, you should reset your ECU - but, this is strictly my opinion. I've heard ppl say you should reset your ECU if you change your brand of gasoline, or its' octane. Opinions are all over the place on this subject.

Anyway, let's leave it at that, okay?!?!?!? If you want to continue this discussion, let's start another thread.

i just do it cuz hondata says so. and we all know hondata > *
Old 11-17-2002, 09:40 PM

Now, does swapping parts work with the new D17 engines??

[Modified by gshockbreaker, 1:41 AM 11/18/2002]
Old 11-18-2002, 02:46 AM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (gshockbreaker)

the D17 is a d series so probably.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (slowmanEF)

I read off some guy's website that if you disconnect the coolant pluming to the throtle body, it will reduce the temperture of the intake manifold. He said it was put there to keep the butterfly thing from freezing shut. Since i live in cali, is there anything that will go wrong if i do this?

Spade, thanks for the final drive tip...if i got a shorter final drive, will it improve highspeed driving? I noticed that after 100+ or so, im faster on 5th than 4th
Old 11-18-2002, 04:23 AM

Hi, people Stillen makes a 4-1 header which is around $250. And I have a question about the throttle body things. So we can use the CRV throttle body on our cars, with no problems? I am putting on a supercharger (probaly today), and I want more airflow for maximum power. This TB thing sounds very interesting, since the aftermarket ones, are an arm and a leg! And I don't think that you have to reset your ECU anytime you do something, but that's just my opion. GREAT ARTICLE!
Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 AM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (scdarksol)

now, is stillen headers for 2001 Civics too??
Old 11-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (gshockbreaker)

New revisions made.
Added compression ratios for the D series with the A1 pistons.
Intake manifolds don't work on the D17's. (D17's have a returnless fuel system)
Added: B16's are still a 1.6L
Old 11-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (Spade)

Noted, ignore this, tabbing. Thanks
Old 11-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (RSZero1)

DC Sports makes a 4-1 i know for 92-95 1.5L non-vetc motors. i know because i have one on mine. by the way this is the best thread that i have read in a while
Old 11-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (twolf)

To the Top with it.

Attempting to share with everyone. If you want to support this thread put it in your signature. Hopefully, this will dwindle down the repetative questions.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (Spade)

ttt....Im rather interested in the discussion you had spade about the hx head. Can you expand on your original thoughts? Say someone owns a hx and wants to make substaintially more power, would the oxygen sensor have to be relocated to allow for a better flowing header? What about valve train upgrade...any thoughts from someone with truthul info would be great. Im more curious than anything.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (civicsitek)

OK, i thought that I knew something about hondas until I started breezing aroung here. I know nothing. This is some interresting stuff, i'm eating it up. Question though. I have a 00 civic lx. Was thinking of LS swap, but everyone is charging too much for the engines now a days. So I decided to stay with the d series, now is it worth it to swap heads for an EX so that I can get more goodies and have v-tec? or should i save the cash and invest in parts? S ofar I only have the avg bolt ons of Intake, 4-2-1 headers, cat-back exhaust, cam gear, and power-steering and ac pullies if that helps with recommendations. I've been showing for a while and I want go now, sick of show.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (RiceD16)

Simple. VTEC head with a port and polish, Crower stage 2 turbo cam with Crower springs, Goldeneaglemfg.com sleeves at 77mm bore with forged pistons and rods, and a big fat turbo.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:08 PM

Simple. VTEC head with a port and polish, Crower stage 2 turbo cam with Crower springs, Goldeneaglemfg.com sleeves at 77mm bore with forged pistons and rods, and a big fat turbo.

slurrrrrrrrp.

yummy.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u buyin....me love u long time.....hahaha jus kidin
Old 11-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now, does swapping parts work with the new D17 engines??
Hmmm....the blank valve cover swaps over! But seriously, i have checked if the D17 crank would work and it seems the crank journals are thinner (or thicker..i cant remember....theyre different though) but if you use the whole d17 block or rotating assembly in a d16...i think you would be ok.

For the compression ratios with d16a1 pistons and y8 head gasket...are those numbers right!??!!? Cuz man...I heard there is high compression with old integra pistons but not that much. Does the head gasket really bump up comp.? Im not doubting you or ne thing man, I just wanna know....cuz im really gonna do that combo (D16a1 pistons y8 head gasket) on the next motor I build!

Oh yah...you can also use d16a1 rods too...they bolt on perfect and are beefier than new z6/y8 rods. ( i thought you had to mod LS rod's big end to fit on the crank...hmmm..)

SOHC

[Modified by josEF, 8:46 PM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by josEF, 8:48 PM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by josEF, 8:49 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 04:49 PM

Default Re: SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress. (josEF)

Thanks for the suggestions. I like this thread please keep it up

Quick Reply: [FAQ] SOHC upgrades *REVISED* It's long and is a work in progress.