Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

****SERIOUS ISSUE, TAIL LIGHTS, INSTRUMENT PANEL DONT LIGHT UP, 93 CIVIC****

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 ****SERIOUS ISSUE, TAIL LIGHTS, INSTRUMENT PANEL DONT LIGHT UP, 93 CIVIC****

(Reason why this is a serious issue is because i work at night, i got pulled over 3 times by a state trooper, sheriff, and a city police all under 7 minutes last night.. never heard that one before huh):/

So im going to break it down from the begining the best way i can..

I wired my fogs to my side lights(parking lights) because i didnt have a wire harness due to a EK to EG fog light conversion; with the stock 10 AMP fuse(19) it would instantly blow. So, I replaced the fuse(19) with a 40 AMP this time, and this worked well overtime for about 3 months or so with no issues.
So the other day in a very foggy morning i turned on my lights and noticed that my side lights, tail lights along with the licence plates and my instrument panel are not working, my headlights/high beams/signals/brake lights work well there are no blown fuses i checked them all, replaced the AMP still doesnt work.

I also pulled out my fogs completely from the sidelights and wired the side lights back to stock spec and knocked the fuse back down to a 10 AMP and it still doesnt work..
I cant think of anything else im all out of ideas.

--> If it helps, if i remember 3 days ago from today i smelt a weird burning smell like the smell you get when you burn a wire or if it gets to hot i couldnt trace it but everything still had worked till yesterday morning...

If the problem lies behined my fuse box can someone hook me up with tips on how to remove the thing? ive searched all day long for everything so i can break it all down on here but thats the thing i couldnt get to..

Noticed fuse(16) 7.5 AMP Daytime Running Light was blown, replaced it too but still no dice...

thanks for looking!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ****SERIOUS ISSUE, TAIL LIGHTS, INSTRUMENT PANEL DONT LIGHT UP, 93 CIVIC****

Try to replace the headlight switch.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ****SERIOUS ISSUE, TAIL LIGHTS, INSTRUMENT PANEL DONT LIGHT UP, 93 CIVIC****

Originally Posted by Ron454321
Try to replace the headlight switch.
Yep they had problems with those in later 6th gens and even recalled them in the 7th gens
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

NEVER try to solve a blown fuse problem by installing a higher rated amp fuse. You risk your car going up in flames or destroying the wiring in your car.

Buy a box of 10A fuses and then start unplugging components on the fuse 19 circuit (dimmer switch, parking lights, license plate lights, taillights, etc.) one at a time to see which unplugged component prevents the fuse from blowing. This will help to pinpoint the electrical short.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This
Originally Posted by TurboCivicR93
So, I replaced the fuse(19) with a 40 AMP this time, and this worked well overtime for about 3 months or so with no issues
Caused this.
Originally Posted by TurboCivicR93
--> If it helps, if i remember 3 days ago from today i smelt a weird burning smell like the smell you get when you burn a wire or if it gets to hot i couldnt trace it but everything still had worked till yesterday morning...
Which is why you NEVER replace a fuse with a higher rated one. YOu will melt wires. Maybe even cause a fire.
If you smelled burning wire insulation chances are that the issue is in the cabin. You have to track that down.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem fixed. it was the switch.. thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're welcome, my answer was from experience of having that crap happen. Got pulled over too many times.