Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

!!!! Big Problem! Instrument panel and tail lights not working!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!! Big Problem! Instrument panel and tail lights not working!!!!

Scenario: Had a friend of my install a new alpine deck in my 99 Prelude. We did it this afternoon and everything checked out. I go to get in it after work at night. Deck works perfectely! Car starts fine. Everything is fine except for two things.
1. Instrument panel lights do not work! Speedo/tach lights do not light up when headlights are turned on or off. Vent controls, heating buttons, etc. Do not light up. Intresting enough the high beam icon lights up when high beams are on. Signal light icons go on when signal lights are used. Icon telling what gear I'm switching through and into are fine. Everything else....no illumination.
2. Tail lights do not go on. When lights are on or off. No illumination. When pressing the break they light up...but then released. Nothing.

Checked and rechecked the wiring.
Checked and rechecked the fuses.
Everything checks out.

What is wrong!?

Any ideas!?!?!?!?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!! Big Problem! Instrument panel and tail lights not working!!!! (skimeast1982)

off hand i could only think the fuse check also under the hood fuses to be safe
Old 10-21-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: !!!! Big Problem! Instrument panel and tail lights not working!!!! (john666)

Check the fuse, and disconnect the illumination wire on the radio...it will be the orange wire. That should solve you problems.
I would also double check the radio harness for any loose connections just in case.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:33 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: !!!! Big Problem! Instrument panel and tail lights not working!!!! (skimeast1982)

Sounds like a blown fuse to me, pull HU and make sure that the red/black wire in the oem radio harness is not shorting out to anything, it is the oem radios illumination wire, and if the Alpine Hu doesn't have an orange wire in it's harness, you don't need the red/black.

There are probably 3 fuses for the lights, [controlled by the light switch] in your car, a main one, [in the under hood fuse box] if the head lights works its ok, and then one for the dash lights, and one for the park lights. [tail lights] both should be in the under dash fuse box, it may be diff. in your 99 lude, the lights may be relay controlled, relay and the main fuse and both park light and side marker fuses are are in the under hood fuse box, and the dash light fuse is in the under dash fuse box, [but it will have no power if the park light fuse in the under hood fuse box is blown]

BTW, just because a fuse looks good does not mean it is, test with meter or replace with new one to be sure. 94