Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........?

i'm trying decide which to get for my 96 ek hatchback...... which is a better deal and which one will give me a better ride in my hatch.....?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 AM

GC ftw
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (mattyv)

should've started a poll... but GCs
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fatchance187)

Gotta agree with GC, that's what I'm saving for as we speak. I don't want springs because I need the adjustability for winter cuz we tend to get kinda snowy out here in KS. Plus I've heard mixed reviews on Skunk2 suspension products...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Default Re: (HonduhDave)

The skunk2 lowering springs are very comfortable. Ride quality wise, I'd say that the two are equal. I'd be willing to bet that the OTS rates on the GCs and the skunk2 lowering spring rates are about the same. I could be wrong, but they feel about the same. The damping is what is going to make a difference. Even on stock shocks or tokico blues, they both ride great. Just don't go idiot *** low with the GCs. The skunk2 spring ride height gets a 205/50/15 about flush with the fender well. That's probably about as low as you'll want to go even with the GCs to maintain some good damping quality out of your shocks.

Over lowering a car on the GCs will result a **** *** ride. Raise it up to a non ridiculous height, and they will ride well.

You will need to get the vehicle aligned every time you change ride heights. Don't forget to clock your bushings every time you change ride height as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (south_sac_red_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by south_sac_red_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm trying decide which to get for my 96 ek hatchback...... which is a better deal and which one will give me a better ride in my hatch.....?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't really give you much of an opinion on the springs, as I've yet to install the GC's I bought, but let me throw a couple of tidbits in here:

1. The most popular Honda track suspension setup is GC/Koni Yellow, followed by GC/Tokico Illumina. That should tell you something about the springs already. GC's have custom rates, and those are the two best, or at least most commonly used shocks. That brings me to my next point:
2. PICK GOOD SHOCKS!! It doesn't matter what springs you buy, with the wrong shocks your ride will be all over the place. Do not, under any circumstances, re-use stock shocks. They're meant for stock height, and they suck under any drop, trust me on this (this statement will probably meet with some disagreement; 'I dropped my car 3" on stock shocks and it rides just fine'--well, whatever. Compare that with a proper suspension setup and the difference is night and day). If you're lowering more than 1.5", don't go for the common Tokico Blues, they just can't dampen it. Your suspension is the basis for your entire car--it literally holds your car up, and it determines how it feels during all parts of driving (cornering, ride quality, etc). Don't cheap out!

Cliffs notes: Skunk2 and GC's will both be good for you IMO, just make sure you back them up with some nice shocks
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gc
Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (hushypushy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't really give you much of an opinion on the springs, as I've yet to install the GC's I bought, but let me throw a couple of tidbits in here:

1. The most popular Honda track suspension setup is GC/Koni Yellow, followed by GC/Tokico Illumina. That should tell you something about the springs already. GC's have custom rates, and those are the two best, or at least most commonly used shocks. That brings me to my next point:
2. PICK GOOD SHOCKS!! It doesn't matter what springs you buy, with the wrong shocks your ride will be all over the place. Do not, under any circumstances, re-use stock shocks. They're meant for stock height, and they suck under any drop, trust me on this (this statement will probably meet with some disagreement; 'I dropped my car 3" on stock shocks and it rides just fine'--well, whatever. Compare that with a proper suspension setup and the difference is night and day). If you're lowering more than 1.5", don't go for the common Tokico Blues, they just can't dampen it. Your suspension is the basis for your entire car--it literally holds your car up, and it determines how it feels during all parts of driving (cornering, ride quality, etc). Don't cheap out!

Cliffs notes: Skunk2 and GC's will both be good for you IMO, just make sure you back them up with some nice shocks </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree with you on certain things.

The GCs that the OP is interested in have nothing to do with anything on a track. It seems that he wants a DD suspension with good ride quality. Since ride quality is the only thing he mentioned, I'm assuming he's lowering for looks with ride quality being the most important following property.

That being said, his stock shocks will work fine. You'd be surprised at how well stock Honda shocks handle being lowered on moderate spring rates. I've had a lot of really nice coilover/spring setups and my S2000 is riding on KW V3s now. I absolutely know and value ride quality.

Koni can make dampers that are valved for the GC rates that you give them. Add on a lot of $$$ for not much improvement. The GC OTS rates are mild. So are the skunk2 spring rates. Mild spring rates will not require you to have custom valved shocks for an acceptable ride.

Yes, the custom valved shocks will ride better as long as you don't over lower the car. Even excellent shocks will ride like *** if you lower them beyond their capability. But the difference in ride quality will be miniscule enough that most people wouldn't notice.

If the OP is lowering the car like your local ricer does, then he will be better off buying some full body adjustable coilovers that don't change shock travel as you lower. Over lowering a car is the BIGGEST issue with ride quality.

The SKUNK2 spring drops the car around 2.25''. That's a pretty decent drop. Tokico blues or fresh OEM shocks will work just fine with the skunk2 springs or the GC OTS rates. The skunk2 springs are designed to work on stock shocks as well as aftermarket shocks. If your OEMs are worn out, replace them with either the tokico blues or new OEM shocks.

I'm huge on ride quality and handling characteristics. I've ridden in, driven, and owned cars with various setups. Trust me. If you don't over lower on the GC OTS rates, or if you go with a quality lowering spring (skunk2, tein, eibach, etc), your stock shocks will be just fine as long as they're in good shape.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GC's b/c of adjustability.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (south_sac_red_ek)

DUDE! don't cheap out. get the full coilover kit no matter what brand, duh do it once the right way or don't do it at all. i have skunk2's full adjustables coilover kit & the shocks are a great ride. if ur trying to save $ by gettin gc sleeves & different shocks u might spend more. thats my thought about it
Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (whitemic)

GC's there on my del sol
Old 10-06-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (whitemic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whitemic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DUDE! don't cheap out. get the full coilover kit no matter what brand, duh do it once the right way or don't do it at all. i have skunk2's full adjustables coilover kit & the shocks are a great ride. if ur trying to save $ by gettin gc sleeves & different shocks u might spend more. thats my thought about it </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is nothing more wrong than your statement.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had skunk2 springs on my DA matched with skunk2 shocks. i liked it a lot. ride quality is subjective, so IMO any "which suspension should i get" threads hold little value. unless the people responding actually have personal experience with what they are posting, not just re-posting what the read somewhere else or agreeing with everybody else. i dont have any personal experience with GC so i cannot speak to that.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (wite2nr)

i like the drop of the skunk springs. itgs just what i wanted. the back just tucks and the front can fit one finger between the fender and the tire. ride is a little stiffer then stock but not to much. as far as snow, i think hondas suck in snow period. ive never driven a vehical that has gotten stuck in 2 inches of snow, and havent been able to go up a snow covered hill. so i dont think a 2 inch drop isnt going to do to much. as far as driveabily.

if your like me, you will always be messing with your shocks and adjusting them up and down. so you will always need to get an alignment or go through tires.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gc, simply because you can order different spring rates, tailored to whatever your goals are.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ground controls, you'll be happy in the long run.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Skunk2" lowering springs -vs- "Ground Control" coilovers........? (yoontim23)

im saving for GC also.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whitemic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DUDE! don't cheap out. get the full coilover kit no matter what brand, duh do it once the right way or don't do it at all. i have skunk2's full adjustables coilover kit & the shocks are a great ride. if ur trying to save $ by gettin gc sleeves & different shocks u might spend more. thats my thought about it </TD></TR></TABLE>

This shows you don't know anything about Ground Controls
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk2 FTW. Hit up Chris @ Skunk2, he'll give you a good deal.