Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

weird blur / swirl marks in paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird blur / swirl marks in paint

there is something weird going on with the paint on my car, i don't know what to think...i don't know what is causing this or how to fix it...

any ideas?? it's kind of like swirl marks on the doors, you can see it in the picture, it's really only when the sun is glaring on it, when the sun isn't on it, it looks like a mirror...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't tell, does the paint look a different color or are you talking about "spider webs"?

If it looks like a bunch of spider webs, welcome to owning a dark colored car. Change the water at least once while washing and try to wax more often. Always use a clean rag! Don't use automatic car washes or those booths with the brush, they will cause swirl marks.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: (DougNuts)

i have been using the mr. clean car wash system w/ the dry rinse polymer soap and the dry rinse spray after your done...and just washing it with the cleaning mit that comes with the system...but it's not like spider webs really..

a buddy of mine looked at it and he said it best when he said it looks like the paint is in 3d...very weird blurry look to it...

i've waxed it once about 3 months ago, i've owned it for 6 months, and i had the dealer also apply the clear coat protection to it as well...but i haven't noticed these markes until recently

Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 AM

i use two buckets when I wash to prevent picking up and smearing dirt. Wash water in one, rinse in other.

Use some Dawn blue dish soap to stripe all the wax off and then start brand new. I use Maguires 3 step (paint cleaner wax, protectant wax, and show polish). It gets out about 80% of the marks and streaks in my car. Might work for you. If its deep in the clearcoat, you may have to get it wetsanded and reclearcoated.

Could also be your area, I see you're at the beach, do you live near any desert areas or windy places with sand? Could all be the enviroment wh00pin your paints ***.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (ScuDC5)

no i live in halifax, nova scotia, i'm inland so i'm not by the ocean, i was just at the beach that day.

i will try re-doing the wax. i used turtle was titanium last time i did it (anyone know if this stuff is good?? or anyone have recomendations??) also do you recommend buffing with a buffer or by hand..
Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mooseheads36)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mooseheads36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have been using the mr. clean car wash system w/ the dry rinse polymer soap and the dry rinse spray after your done...and just washing it with the cleaning mit that comes with the system...but it's not like spider webs really..

a buddy of mine looked at it and he said it best when he said it looks like the paint is in 3d...very weird blurry look to it...

i've waxed it once about 3 months ago, i've owned it for 6 months, and i had the dealer also apply the clear coat protection to it as well...but i haven't noticed these markes until recently

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mr Clean autodry car was strips the wax off your car

do a fresh hand wash and wax, glaze and sealant and you'll be gold
Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mooseheads36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i live in halifax, nova scotia, i'm inland so i'm not by the ocean, i was just at the beach that day.

i will try re-doing the wax. i used turtle was titanium last time i did it (anyone know if this stuff is good?? or anyone have recomendations??) also do you recommend buffing with a buffer or by hand..</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.griotsgarage.com
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM

I agree with Type X, I use griots polish and wax. Its the best stuff I've ever used. If that doesnt get the swirls off, then trying spending the better part of a day using a clay bar. Dont forget, after you clay bar you have to wax!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: weird blur / swirl marks in paint (mooseheads36)

Ok, lets see...
Do not dry your car with cotton after rinsing the soap off your car.
That's how you get swirls.
Use a clean rag when you apply wax all around your car
And then another clean rag when you dry the wax
Spend some time on getting the excess wax off your car
It's worth the time when you want the car to go *bling!*
(this is based on my personal experience)
So far for my si, no swirls, waxed it once already, car still good
Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 AM

great, thanks for the info guys....by the way, honda-tech.com ROCKS....i always get my questions answered quickly..

thanks alot...
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mooseheads36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great, thanks for the info guys....by the way, honda-tech.com ROCKS....i always get my questions answered quickly..

thanks alot... </TD></TR></TABLE>

a shiney car is a happy car

Old 08-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Wash it buff it polish it and wax it...swirls will be gone trust me
Old 08-06-2006, 12:34 PM

I have the same problem over my rear quater panel areas
Old 08-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: (Type X)

Type X,

You should get that wet tire spray. Then your car would be golden. The tires look too dirty in that picture.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM

again, thanks for all the help guys, i'm gonna give it a good hand wax in the next week or so before i head to toronto for a week...figure i should get it waxed before the trip...