Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid question

Hello. I am new here and getting really frustrated. I don't know much about cars and am hoping someone here can help me. My Civic has about 80,000 miles. I've never had a problem with it, I just do the oil changes when the Maintenance Minder lights up, etc..
One of those Maintenance Minders came on a few days ago saying I needed to change transmission fluid. I went to Pep Boys, and told them to use genuine Honda fluid like the manual said. They said they would, and even had to wait for more bottles of the stuff, so they said.
Now I'm at home, and I'm looking at the receipt, and it says there are 12 quarts of Dex/Merc Castrol listed...I'm assuming this is the transmission fluid.. Is this the same thing as the genuine Honda??!
I even called a couple of random car mechanics and even a Parts Authority asking, and I have gotten all these different answers: one guy said it's a compatible transmission fluid, it'll be fine, another guy said no, you need to go back and use real honda fluid, another guy said, it'll be ok with Dex/Merc, it won't HURT my car but it just won't last AS LONG. Seriously, I cannot get a straight answer, I feel like I'm talking to a 15 year old girl.
If anyone can help me...it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind going to a different place, or even going to the damn Honda dealer to buy the damn fluid in person, but if someone can please tell me if I should even bother and if this Dex/Merc stuff is ok for a Civic??

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transmission fluid question

I would not use anything except genuine Honda fluid.

Go back to pep boys.

Ask them why they did not use genuine Honda fluid, if indeed that IS what you asked for. Did you specifically say "Honda genuine fluid"? Or "fluid for a Honda?"

Maybe Castrol costs the same as Honda ATF, but they didn't have Honda ATF as an item number...so they charged you for Castrol, but actually put in Honda ATF. Don't ask tnem that, though. Ask them what they put in. Then ask them why it says Castrol on the receipt.

Read your manual. Or read a bottle of Castrol Dex/Merc. Maybe it says it is compatible with Honda transmissions. Or maybe it says NOT to use it in Honda transmissions. Either way, you'll know what you're working with.

But I would never use anything except Honda ATF to retain the car's shifting and the fluid's/transmission's longevity. If you asked specifically for Honda ATF...that's what you should have gotten.

Its best to check your recepit and ask these questions before taking your car back from them, for future reference.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Trial User

Thank you! I called another branch of Pep Boys and they said they don't even sell the Honda brand fluid. So today I'm headed straight to a Honda dealer and tell them what happened and get the real thing put in. I hate dealing with cars, I think next time I'll lease. Thank you again, I appreciate your advice.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Usually a Honda transmission fluid change is about 3 L, as the transmission cannot be completely drained at the plug. Some people do multiple changes in succession for the dilution factor, but that is expensive at $8/quart. You were right to have the fluid changed again at the Honda dealership, as Honda claims their fluid is the only one to use (ongoing debate). How much fluid did they use and what did they charge you for this service? The Castrol that Pep Boys used would have combined with the entire fluid content in the transmission, so a normal 3 L change would not have completely removed it. Maybe Honda has some machine to completely drain the transmission, as power flushes are not recommended.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't like getting dirty turning a wrench under your car I understand, but this is a good reason to do some work yourself. You can find decent deals on Honda fluids on Amazon. No need for a trip to the dealership parts dept or hoping that a quick lube place is going to do you right.

I believe that Honda auto transmissions have such a bad rap over the years because so many people use regular ATF in them, or some type of oem equivalent. But I'm not saying they are the greatest auto transmissions by any means...

Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hell buy the Honda ATF yourself next time and tell the quick lube guys to use it.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To quote my '96 Civic owner's manual "Use Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid or an equivalent DEXRON 2 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) only. 261,000 miles and I use Valvoline MAXLIFE for engines over 75,000 miles, DEXRON 3 - MERC, comes in a red bottle. If you have someone else do the work, make sure they check and clean off the magnetic drain plug, install a new crush washer, and torque to 36 ft-lbs. I change mine every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Still shifts just as crisp and smooth as it ever did. I love my Honda Civic! You love it and it will love you back. Good Luck.