Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:03 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (E-Money)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Money &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is the verdict for most people? a lotta of back and forth going on in this thread.. parts on back order, some people getting lucky with dealerships... is the tsb no good and you have to wait for a recall? </TD></TR></TABLE>

where is the back and forth? if you have a problem, it should be able to be replicated. unless the trans is a total mess, it won't happen on the first time, typically. you have to be persistant with them because honda can't pay for something that isn't broken across the board. the internet has made recalls less viable and puts alot more emphasis on replication for TSB's. the parts were or are on backorder because alot of cars were having the issues and alot of cars were getting repaired. my car had thie problem pretty bad, it would kick out regularly, so it was easy to diagnose. but, the car gradually had gotten worse, and there are people who claim theirs doesn't have the issue or they've improved it with parts (synth fluid, shift adapters, etc) so it's not bothersome, so not every car has it to the point where it needs to be repaired.

to add, my car has been 100% perfect since the fix. no notchiness, no kicking out, grinding...nothing. mint.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (builthatch)

Honda finally accept to fix my 3rd after i came again the 2nd time (this time i guess they tested it and found the problem). but there is more to it, i got paint defect, airbag light went on, sun visors broke. i was like wow, what more will happen after my warranty is over. anyways, they'll fix all that and i gotta leave the car for about a week. ill let u guys know how my 3rd is ^_^.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:47 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: (xitrumd02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xitrumd02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda finally accept to fix my 3rd after i came again the 2nd time (this time i guess they tested it and found the problem). but there is more to it, i got paint defect, airbag light went on, sun visors broke. i was like wow, what more will happen after my warranty is over. anyways, they'll fix all that and i gotta leave the car for about a week. ill let u guys know how my 3rd is ^_^.</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't worry, i've had both visors splits near the hinge, and everyone's paint has issues on these cars to some extent....

that is why i bought a mazda and this is my last honda. i can't believe how sorry their quality is now. atleast now my transmission works as it should since the fix.

Modified by builthatch at 9:53 AM 7/2/2008
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (builthatch)

Greetings, new member here and just purchased a 08 Civic Si...I just finished reading this thread and wow I'm almost beginning to lose faith in having bought this car Honda always built excellent cars and between the 3rd gear issue, paint problems and parts falling apart it sure doesn't boost my confidence. granted I've only had the car for less than a week and between the test drive, driving it home from the dealer, taking it out for spin last night and using it to come to work this morning I've only put about 90 miles on it so it's way too early to tell if I'll start to see any such problems, but, then again you never know. Here's hoping for a problem free experience
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (708CvCSi)

708CvCSi you'll know if you have the issue. People like to complain about things so just enjoy the car and be happy you have a new Si...I am.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 708CvCSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Greetings, new member here and just purchased a 08 Civic Si...I just finished reading this thread and wow I'm almost beginning to lose faith in having bought this car Honda always built excellent cars and between the 3rd gear issue, paint problems and parts falling apart it sure doesn't boost my confidence. granted I've only had the car for less than a week and between the test drive, driving it home from the dealer, taking it out for spin last night and using it to come to work this morning I've only put about 90 miles on it so it's way too early to tell if I'll start to see any such problems, but, then again you never know. Here's hoping for a problem free experience </TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll enjoy it. the paint will probably be an issue, but just stay on top of it and do the best you can. feel confident that everyone else is dealing with the same thing w/ most new cars. the EPA can be a real bitch ; )
Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks guys and yes I have every intention of enjoying it as much as possible, I don't always expect for cars to be 100% perfect even when new, like anything in life it's just a little bit discouraging is all...I had my share of issues with my VW GTI(which I still own), but, I bought that car used almost 5 years ago...and no I'm not new to Honda's in case anyone is curious, I've owned a 90 CRX Si and a 88 Accord and various other brands as well...quite a few actually, but, anyway I like the new Si and can't wait for the "break-in" period to be over with...I just bought this car last Wednesday btw...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome to the forum
i don't think the 8th gen. has problem with 3rd. u might experience the sun visors and paint but who knows, u might be the lucky one. anywayz, enjoy your new si. mine is still in the shop. gotta leave it for another week, they finished with the paint but still w8ing on parts. damn i miss my car already.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (xitrumd02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xitrumd02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i don't think the 8th gen. has problem with 3rd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh...

what?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh...

what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im talking about the 3rd gear of the 8th generation.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MORE INFO ON THE 2008 CIVIC SI ROCKER ARM BULLETIN

VINS RANGE FROM

2HGFG21568H700044
2HGFG21568H700073
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (pgpbubble)

Talked to my friend at Honda of Escondido....all the parts have finally arrived and my car will be going in tuesday for the 3rd gear replacement. Anyone have any feedback on the difference the service made on their car?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 AM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xitrumd02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im talking about the 3rd gear of the 8th generation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. you said you don't think there is a problem with the 3rd gear of the 8th gen? are you serious? how do you think this thread arrived here...

btw, 8th generation is 06+...
Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone care to turn this into an actualy just 06-08 TSB/Bulletin/ Recall thread? Or create a new one?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpbubble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone care to turn this into an actualy just 06-08 TSB/Bulletin/ Recall thread? Or create a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd rather have a sticky for each one, IF it's one that is worthy, like this one.

let me know what you'd like to add, make a thread, and i'll sticky it.

it'll keep things organized and give someone direction for specific info.

thanks dude, let me know...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I mean, the Exhaust rocker one, only pertains to say, 29 vehicles if i recall, So I highly doubt that one would be a problem. But It'd be nice to have a common thread or a place I can post new open Recall/Service News too.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:57 PM
MiG-21 superfan

start a thread for TSB's/ recalls, etc and i'll sticky it. call it pgpbubble's TSB and recall party or whatever you want. let me know and it'll stay at the top.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (CRXone)

Hey CRXone, I'm glad that your parts finally came in. I've had mine since the week that the TSB came out (Mid-April). I guess I got lucky and got my parts in a few days before the national back order kicked in. 3rd gear shifting is like night and day. To this day I still haven't grinded 3rd or felt any resistance or notchiness like I did before. So far so good for me these past 3 1/2 months.

Modified by Sasebonian at 9:47 PM 7/13/2008

Modified by Sasebonian at 9:48 PM 7/13/2008
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (Sasebonian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sasebonian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> To this day I still haven't grinded 3rd or felt any resistance or notchiness like I did before. So far so good for me these past 3 1/2 months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

me too. since the beginning of may when i had mine done, it's been 100% perfect, not one issue.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

me too. since the beginning of may when i had mine done, it's been 100% perfect, not one issue.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm glad. We need to let more people know that once they've got their fix done right like we both have, that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my 07 si's 3rd gear replaced yesterday. Here's some info that you may want to know:

-Before, I felt intermittent resistance shifting into 3rd. It hasn't been long since the fix, but shifting into 3rd is smooth and I have yet to feel any resistance.
-After informing a service advisor of the problem, they were able to reproduce it, agreed to the fix it, but had to order the parts.
-Parts were on backorder and took about 2 months for the dealership to get.
-Car was in the shop for the fix about a day (took it in at 8am and i was told it was fixed at 5:30pm). Total amount due for fix: $0.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (innate)

okay, i got my car back after 2 weeks, i havent feel any resistance either. BUT, they messed up my front right disk brake. It feels a lil weird at 1st when i got my car back. so i was driving on the freeway. and then after i exited and make a turn. i heard noise coming from the front right. at 1st i thought that they messed up my engine, and then i listened more carefully, and thinking it's the brake. I was right, the whole disk's surface got messed up.

Anyways, anyone know if they have to take out the wheels and brake to replace the 3rd?
or could it be from painting the car because i got paint defect. ill bring it back 2morrow morning. anyone know if they'll resurface the disk or replace with a new one?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my car back today From Honda of Escondido. I was their first Si to have the 3rd Gear repair performed. First impressions is it engages much smoother into 3rd then before where it would be notchy and unforgiving if you slipped it in wrong.

All in all I'm very happy and hope it continues to drive this way for a long time. BTW my car is an 07 Si coupe (bought it April 07) with currently 17,900 on the clock.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (CRXone)

Took mine into the dealer in Dallas. Parts have been ordered but are on back order from all the other people getting it fixed. Should be here in a few weeks. Thanks for posting this I been looking for almost a year to find a solution.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM

xitrumd02,

to remove the tranny the wheels come off, but they should not have to do anything to your brakes, but as far as anyone knows the mechanic may have struck your disc with something during the repair. as far as body paint goes...nothing mechanical about body work...anyways good luck getting the rotor resurfaced

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA