Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

its funny, honda put me in a toyota camry for a loaner! i lol'd when i saw it pull up
Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Honda replaced my 3rd gear set,and i think the scronizer is going bad in 3rd. It will grind going into 3rd at high rpms,but it fine at the lower rpms.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So since I just bought a Si, do I have to look forward to this? Or was this fixed for the 09's?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
So since I just bought a Si, do I have to look forward to this? Or was this fixed for the 09's?
It was supposed to be fixed in 09 but there were some early model 09's that had it.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM
New User

well my 09 si only has 1370 miles on it and it seems like its starting to act up with with seems to be the 3rd gear syncronizer...can someone tell me whether that is normal for it to act up at such low miles
Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ironworker
It was supposed to be fixed in 09 but there were some early model 09's that had it.
Originally Posted by civicsiboy22
well my 09 si only has 1370 miles on it and it seems like its starting to act up with with seems to be the 3rd gear syncronizer...can someone tell me whether that is normal for it to act up at such low miles
Some early models it was normal, your model should of been fixed depending on when it was made. I would not MOD your car until you get that looked at/fixed.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM

ok guys i have a 2007 civic si , i live in canada and i obviously have the 3rd gear issue as well ,i did order the whole short shift kit from coresport its has been a year i am driving with it and it did help a bit ,but it still has this anoying 3rd gear issue ,i should chek my vin from what number to wat number ..?
and go to my dealer and tell him what ..?
thank you ..!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys, i know this thread is SLAMMED with this type of stuff.. but i have an '08 Si with 35.9k miles that falls into the "affected" VIN# range, and the shifting on it has become crap. i don't abuse it at all, so it kind of developed on it's own. i swear my old 2002 civic LX with 140 thousand miles shifted better than this thing.

considering i'm not exaggerating one bit, what do you think my chances are of getting this thing fixed for free? i'd imagine it would fall under the 60K mile warranty since it is drive-train related, right?

it doesn't make the sound like you all describe, but i can feel it vibrate when i push it into the gear (completely off gas, clutch all the way in, gear shift, clutch all the way out, on gas.) actually i CAN hear it make a little itty bitty grinding sound when i'm at a stop and go into 1st. i know all cars will have some type of mechanical sound, but i've never heard it to be this prominent in any stick shifts i've owned.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I got a question for all you guys who has had the 3rd gear problem fixed from Honda. How long was you car in the shop for? The reason I ask is that I just dropped of my car to Honda yesterday to fix the problem, gave me a pos loaner and called me today told me that my car is ready fixed within a 24 hour period? Did Honda just pull a scam on me or could they have really fixed it that fast. When I dropped it off, they said they were still waiting on parts. I mean how long does it really take to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance guys,

I will updated when I go pick up my car after work later.

btw its a 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacen
OK, I got a question for all you guys who has had the 3rd gear problem fixed from Honda. How long was you car in the shop for? The reason I ask is that I just dropped of my car to Honda yesterday to fix the problem, gave me a pos loaner and called me today told me that my car is ready fixed within a 24 hour period? Did Honda just pull a scam on me or could they have really fixed it that fast. When I dropped it off, they said they were still waiting on parts. I mean how long does it really take to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance guys,

I will updated when I go pick up my car after work later.

btw its a 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe.
it's very possible. some of these techs have it down to incredibly short times. book says something like 9 hours, most techs are getting it done in 5-6 without rushing.

Originally Posted by Ben850
i'd imagine it would fall under the 60K mile warranty since it is drive-train related, right?
yep

Last edited by builthatch; 07-21-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did one the other day in 4hrs no rush, trans drops in 30-45 mins, we usually get the parts next day so yeah its more then possible in less then 24hrs
Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The tech gets like 7.2 hours and it only take 3 hours lol
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JAPANMUSCLE
The tech gets like 7.2 hours and it only take 3 hours lol
8.8 with align. i believe... i just did one last week and cant recall lmao
Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by high_revs
8.8 with align. i believe... i just did one last week and cant recall lmao
Good info, but does the tech have to drive the car for 5 miles to test the tranny or something. I just got the car back the next day noticed it was 5 miles more than what I left it with them at.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well not exactly 5 miles, but i do drive for 10-15 mins make sure nothing is wrong with it...i would never just pull it out and have the customer come get it lol
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay now today I just noticed something. When I put the car in reverse and start reversing it makes this *Clunk* noise every time like something is loose. Now I got to bring it back to Honda. I didn't have this noise before I brought it in for the 3rd gear fix, could they have forgotten to tighten a nut or something?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know of any dealerships around NYC that will actually do the warranty work? I've tried 3 times with no luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jacen
Okay now today I just noticed something. When I put the car in reverse and start reversing it makes this *Clunk* noise every time like something is loose. Now I got to bring it back to Honda. I didn't have this noise before I brought it in for the 3rd gear fix, could they have forgotten to tighten a nut or something?
loose mount??? idk bring it back to have em check it..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boges
Anyone know of any dealerships around NYC that will actually do the warranty work? I've tried 3 times with no luck.
why are they refusing to warranty it?? mileage? modifications? whats the reason?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The first time they were able to duplicate it, but it was before the TSB so they just changed the MTF. The next two times they said they were unable to duplicate the problem. Somehow, I'm able to duplicate the problem every time I drive the car.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by high_revs
loose mount??? idk bring it back to have em check it..
Yup just got it taken care of today loose motor mount. They forgot to tighten it back when they were done apparently.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by integra pride; 10-25-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
New User

Icon2 Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

I have an '07 Civic Si Sedan and have had the 3rd gear issue for a while now. I originally took it into the dealership (Akron, OH) to have them look at it. They drove it and said they didn't notice the problem (as it was happening maybe every 5-10 shifts into 3rd gear) and said there was no TSB so they couldn't do anything. Finally after the problem had gotten worse and worse I started doing some more research and found this thread. I took it back into the dealership with knowledge of this TSB, and they were able to resproduce it. However, my car now has 63,000 miles so it is very recently out of warranty. After talking to the service manager and Regional Honda Rep, they called me back and offered to fix and cover 60% of the cost. They told me the total cost would be $1600 and I would only be responsible for 40% or about $640. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed for free after the warranty? I was thinking about talking to the Honda customer service to see if I could get any more covered seeing as I complained about the problem before the warranty was up and I have gotten all my service done at that dealership.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely try. If you have your previous visit regarding the 3rd gear on paper, it should help.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an 08 FA5 with 30k that falls in the affected VIN range and started having the 3rd gear issue intermittently. Recently I have been getting what sounds like gear whine in the morning when the car is still only about half way warmed up. It usually happens in 2nd and 3rd gear and it will fade away as the rpms drop when I disengage the clutch. The whine will go away on its own after a few minutes.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Are they related?

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA