Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Problem with Manual transmission (I believe..)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Manual transmission (I believe..)

I own a 2006 Civic LX with a 5-speed transmission. The car has never given me problems and I just recently had the 60,000 mile maintenance. The car currently has about 63,000 miles.

For the longest time I've had issues with what SEEMS to be the transmission making an audible clicking noise. The reason I believe its the transmission and not the motor is if I have the car in neutral and I rev the motor, the clicking never happens. It only makes this noise when I am in gear or in the process of engaging the clutch to get in to gear. To describe the clicking noise is kind of tough. It sounds like metal against metal which is the best way I can describe it. Sometimes it happens a handful of times (4-6 times) in a row, or it may be a single isolated noise, or sometimes not at all. It's very erratic.

Its beginning to bother me because the noise doesn't sound good at all yet it doesn't seem to affect performance in any way. I know for a fact that this noise is not from me shifting in to gear because I know what that noise sounds like. Nonetheless, the noise doesn't take place until I start to engage the clutch which, by that time, I already have the shifter in the appropriate gear. I've taken it to a mechanic and asked them about it and even drove around with him for a few minutes (figures it doesn't make the noise when I try to show him). He had also driven it himself after I left it there and he never heard it.

The only other bit of information I have is that I received a recall notice from Honda about the ABS. My dad was saying that the ABS and transmission are somehow connected together so maybe this ABS recall issue is related, but I'd like to see some confirmation about what my dad said.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with Manual transmission (vipersvenom)

Question: If you place the car in neutral and release the clutch, do you hear the sound? If yes, then could be failing Input Shaft bearing(s), a fairly common failure on B & D-series transmissions.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Problem with Manual transmission (typer_801)

Not at all. Nothing happens in neutral, only when it is engaged in gear.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Problem with Manual transmission (vipersvenom)

a few other people have had the same problem, i'm one of them on my EX. it's a metal to metal noise and sounds like brakes going metal to metal but tapping. like a kss kss kss kss kss kinda noise. i took it to my local honda dealership and they basically asked me to come back when the noise comes back, they didn't even take my car in for service because they couldnt hear the noise. i hear it in narrow high walled areas... or even near the center divider in LA traffic. i'm going to take it back to them this weekend to have them take a look at it.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with Manual transmission (irnhyd889)

there was a recall on the abs sensor o ring in the rears. im not sure if thats the abs recall you are talking about.

the clicking you are talking about i have seen before. i had a 06 si come in with the same problem once. but i wasnt able to locate what was doing it.

i dont work at honda no more so i dont even know if it became an issue.