Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Honda civic rust protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic rust protection

Hi,
I bought my honda civic in 2009 and just noticed today there are some signs of small rust spots at the bottom of the car. The car is almost new and have only weekend runs so wondering if this is normal as Honda claims that their new cars have some kind of material which cannot get any rust soon?

Second is this something which can be covered my general warranty?

Third somebody told me about some electronic device which prevents rust, does this really work?

Please advise me on this.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda civic rust protection

all I know is I work at a body shop and we've had a few civics 2008 & newer with visible rust on like the rockers..not just bubbling..none were Si's though..I have a 2007 si and no visible rust any where..the other stuff not sure..I don't think it would be covered under warranty..and the electronic device that prevents rust?? umm doubt it..
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Electronic device that prevents rust... lol where in the world did you hear that, sounds like a pretty good invention.. ;}
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your dealer.in snow belt areas they are sold like mad.do they work????my wife got one and i will be anally inspecting it every spring and as soon as i see rust the **** will hit the fan.
it has 10 yr warranty and was $500 added to the lease.sold and installed by honda.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be covered by you're warranty, and the Civic does not have a "electronic device" that prevents rust.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow honda has still not solved this problem? That is disappointing. I mean come on after 25" years of the Honda rot problem and they have not found a counter measure?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the electronic device that prevents it doesnt come with the car im almost positive about that. but i have heard of them. basically rust is attracted to metal without a charge. and this thing puts a charge through the metal that prevents rust. i dont know the exact science behind it but it seems like it would work.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Trial User

Its really disappointing and Honda must have solved this problem and i think you should give complaint to the company and show them the problem. Because i rely on Honda and i am disappointed at this.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it would be a warranty issue for corrosion protection? If you want to fix it yourself, I have some friends doing color matched line-x on parts of their cars. I'm sure it won't look too bad on just the rockers.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow interesting i would like to hear more info about this. take it into the dealer and see what they have to say, if they fail call up american honda and see what they have to say. there HAS to be some sort of corrosion protection right????
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Masterbobo
wow interesting i would like to hear more info about this. take it into the dealer and see what they have to say, if they fail call up american honda and see what they have to say. there HAS to be some sort of corrosion protection right????
You would think so
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought an 08 si in PA had to drive in the after math of the horrible snow storms up there to FL. I noticed paint chips, most likely from the outrageous amounts of salt, and small spots of rust beginning to form. Went to Honda they said it would NOT be covered under warranty because it was not due to manufacturer's defect. Needless to say I was apocalyptically pissed off that a 3 yo car is already getting the infamous honda rot. Luckly shes safe from further abuse of salt and whatever else crap is put on the roads up there. Bottom line is, find a way to prove it to be a manufacturer's defect.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in Atlantic Canada, we use more salt on the roads here than probably anywhere else anywhere. I also used to work as a mechanic for a Honda dealership. I can't say i've seen any real signs of rust on anything yet from '06 - present. Even '01 - '05s are still in pretty good shape. Honda's do not suffer from rust problems anymore than any other brand anymore, probably less so at this point. I see lots of rotten hyundai's and kia's though that are less than 10 years old.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting. Either PA rapes the roads with salt and cinders or Canadian Hondas have better paint.... I honestly think that in PA the salt guys just have a hay day with salt but who knows
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Masterbobo
there HAS to be some sort of corrosion protection right????
5 years unlimited mileage
Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sucks about the spots. I've heard of people using color matched liner on the bottom of the rockers as mentioned above. Is it actually up on the rockers or just on the bottom where the layers of metal come together with the floorpan? I see that on most vehicles.

(I'm in Atlantic Canada like 94EG8).

Originally Posted by OMG WTF
5 years unlimited mileage
I hope they don't treat it like "perforation protection". (Not rusted through = no care)
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just wash the salt from the bottom of the car after every use
Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra15
Wow honda has still not solved this problem? That is disappointing. I mean come on after 25" years of the Honda rot problem and they have not found a counter measure?
yeah, turns out steel still rusts when exposed to water.

Originally Posted by ONeill24
i think the electronic device that prevents it doesnt come with the car im almost positive about that. but i have heard of them. basically rust is attracted to metal without a charge. and this thing puts a charge through the metal that prevents rust. i dont know the exact science behind it but it seems like it would work.
i've never heard of this device. would you happen to have a link to some info on it?

Originally Posted by jdmteggy93
Just bought an 08 si in PA had to drive in the after math of the horrible snow storms up there to FL. I noticed paint chips, most likely from the outrageous amounts of salt, and small spots of rust beginning to form. Went to Honda they said it would NOT be covered under warranty because it was not due to manufacturer's defect. Needless to say I was apocalyptically pissed off that a 3 yo car is already getting the infamous honda rot. Luckly shes safe from further abuse of salt and whatever else crap is put on the roads up there. Bottom line is, find a way to prove it to be a manufacturer's defect.
the paint chips are probably more from the sand and gravel that they spread on the road, not the salt. chipped paint = exposed steel, which leads to rust. it's considered normal wear and tear, which is never covered by the warranty.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small spots of rust "at the bottom of the car" could mean rust on the lower body panels in the paint. This could be bits of metal or brake dust that is embedded in the paint that is rusting.....which would simply require a claybaring of the car..... or are you saying that there is major rusting of body components?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vladd
the paint chips are probably more from the sand and gravel that they spread on the road, not the salt. chipped paint = exposed steel, which leads to rust. it's considered normal wear and tear, which is never covered by the warranty.
The sand and gravel chips the paint, but the salt severly accelerates the rust, in ways you can't imagine if you haven't been in an area that uses salt.

Btw I am familiar with these types of devices and as far as I can tell no they don't work.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am unaware of any electrical device that is used as such, however...

Oxidation can occur anywhere with almost any type of material, particularly metals. Certain metals like Copper, Tin, and Zinc will oxidize more readily than Steel/Iron in the same conditions. Electric charge (ionization) allows/is required for most oxidizing reactions, so supplying an electric charge to (running a current through) your metal part can help inhibit oxidation.

However, consider how long people have been travelling in boats & ships vs autos... Might there be another industry upon which we can rely for rust prevention help?
Yes: The Marine Industry...

Certain components of boats & ships remain submerged during their lifetime, and very seldom see the light of day (remember: O2 can get absorbed into sea water). There are Zinc anodes made for Hulls, Propeller Driveshafts, and other critical parts that are mated to steel (or some other metal). Since Zinc and Iron are conductive, and since Zinc oxidizes more readily than Iron, it is typically the Zinc Anode that will "rust", instead of the Iron.

You can also electroplate your components with Zinc to help protect your steel components. It's not permanent, and will still oxidize, but it will add much more protection than exposed raw steel. Such parts can be coated with primer/paint/enamel afterwards in the same manner as if it were untreated.

You can make a DC (Direct Current) electroplating tub with Vinegar, Epsom Salt, Sugar, and Zinc (and some wires)...
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

Last tidbit:
Rust Converters = Bad... it can only treat the oxidation it can reach, leaving huge potential for continued rot underneath.
Rust Removers = Good... rust should (must) be eradicated COMPLETELY.

Best of luck! Hope this helps.
JasonGhostz

Last edited by JasonGhostz; 06-03-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: 3rd to last paragraph now includes "also", to compensate for vladd's inability to draw reasonable conclusions
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JasonGhostz
I am unaware of any electrical device that is used as such, however...

Oxidation can occur anywhere with almost any type of material, particularly metals. Certain metals like Copper, Tin, and Zinc will oxidize more readily than Steel/Iron in the same conditions. Electric charge (ionization) allows/is required for most oxidizing reactions, so supplying an electric charge to (running a current through) your metal part can help inhibit oxidation.

However, consider how long people have been travelling in boats & ships vs autos... Might there be another industry upon which we can rely for rust prevention help?
Yes: The Marine Industry...

Certain components of boats & ships remain submerged during their lifetime, and very seldom see the light of day (remember: O2 can get absorbed into sea water). There are Zinc anodes made for Hulls, Propeller Driveshafts, and other critical parts that are mated to steel (or some other metal). Since Zinc and Iron are conductive, and since Zinc oxidizes more readily than Iron, it is typically the Zinc Anode that will "rust", instead of the Iron.

You can electroplate your components with Zinc to help protect your steel components. It's not permanent, and will still oxidize, but it will add much more protection than exposed raw steel. Such parts can be coated with primer/paint/enamel afterwards in the same manner as if it were untreated.

You can make a DC (Direct Current) electroplating tub with Vinegar, Epsom Salt, Sugar, and Zinc (and some wires)...
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

Last tidbit:
Rust Converters = Bad... it can only treat the oxidation it can reach, leaving huge potential for continued rot underneath.
Rust Removers = Good... rust should (must) be eradicated COMPLETELY.

Best of luck! Hope this helps.
JasonGhostz
So are you suggesting to strip the paint off the car and apply a zinc coating? What are some of you people smoking?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
So are you suggesting to strip the paint off the car and apply a zinc coating? What are some of you people smoking?
I left the information I offered to those who feel inclined to use it in the manner in which they see most fitting.

The original poster mentioned rust issues underneath the car, in which case it may be appropriate to attach a small Zinc anode.

Small pieces, particularly hardware, can benefit much from a brushing and plating. It can be expensive to purchase brand new hardware, and it may be worthwhile to reuse/recondition old, lightly rusted hardware.

Whether one wants to go so far as to plate things like their Trailing Arm or anything else is up to them.

... And I smoke the good ****.

Have A Great Drive!
JG