Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Catalytic convertor needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic convertor needs replacement

Hi,

I have a 2012 Honda Civic, V4. Bought new.

After about 100,000 miles, the check engine light came on. It was taken to a dealership, they ran the codes, and they told me that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. I did, and immediately, the check engine light came back on again.

Took it back to the dealer and they said it was the code for the SECOND, more expensive catalytic convertor that came on and told me I should get it replaced as well.

Now, I don't mind spending money to replace these things if it will fix the problem, but I have a feeling the light is just going to keep coming on.

So, maybe somebody who is familiar with this situation can help me out, give me suggestions.

Are there any mechanics who will replace the part and if it doesn't fix the problem, refund your $? I know that's probably a prayer, but...

I would also like to know if I could get the part replaced with a used piece or an aftermarket piece. The mechanic was secretive about the part names which made me a bit wary. At the very least, if I have to spend $ playing the guessing game down the chain of multiple parts replacement, I'd rather do it cheaper.

There was also some talk that the O2 sensors if replaced might make all of the cat codes go away.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by civicvitaminwat; 04-08-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Catalytic convertor needs replacement

You are being scammed. You only have one catalytic converter. If they really did replace it already, and if I was you I would inspect it to see if it's new or not, then it's highly possible that the rear oxygen sensor is bad and after replacing it and clearing the code, the code will stay off.

You need to stop going to that mechanic and check yelp for a good mechanic in your area. Also, you need to find out what the code really is. I'm sure a good honest mechanic will help you more than that other guy.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...rter-1-8l-scat

This is the link to the downstream oxygen sensor which is likely what you will need. Only buy Denso since they make the original oxygen sensors for our car.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...2)+sensor,5132
Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Catalytic convertor needs replacement

He might also being getting mixed up with catalytic converter and O2 sensor...

Sounds to be what the dealershipt is talking about is more the bank 2 02 sensor needs to be replaced.

You should always ask for a copy of the codes they are pulling that way you can research it first if you aren't sure!