Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Wondering about a couple sounds, bad input shaft bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering about a couple sounds, bad input shaft bearing?

Picked up an 04 Civic 5 speed the other day, love it so far but it's got a weird sound it's making and I'd like to confirm my suspicion with some people who know more than I do about these cars :D

To sum it up, when the clutch is disengaged (clutch pedal depressed) there is no sound, when the clutch is engaged (pedal released) there is a slight whirring noise. Not very much to be worried about by itself, but in addition to this, usually but not always when I'm accelerating in second or third gear, there's a little bit of a rattling/grinding noise. Almost sounds a little like an exhaust leak, the revolutions from the engine are louder, but it also sounds a little messier if that makes sense.

When I first start the car cold, it will usually do a really loud, horrible sounding screeching for a few seconds. First thought that was just a loose belt, but I'm not so sure now. The noise come's when I put it in gear and start to release the clutch. Sounds like maybe when the clutch is contacting the pressure plate. However, once the noise starts, nothing will stop it for a few seconds. Putting it in neutral, releasing the clutch, pushing it in, putting it fully in gear... it will just screech and screech until its done. Then, for maybe the first 3 minutes of the drive, any time I change gears will cause it to screech a little when I'm realeasing the clutch pedal to put it in gear.

I know these cars have problems with the input shaft bearing, so that's my first guess, but I'm thinking it might also be the throwout.. or maybe just the clutch itself. Or maybe a belt, exhaust leak, or a combo of a couple. I really dont know. I replaced the clutch on my old civic, and I've been thinking about just getting a clutch kit and the bearings and doing everything at once, but before I do that I'd like to know with more confidence that I'm even in the right place.

So what do y'all think haha
Old 11-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Wondering about a couple sounds, bad input shaft bearing?

Originally Posted by josephemorgan91
usually but not always when I'm accelerating in second or third gear, there's a little bit of a rattling/grinding noise. Almost sounds a little like an exhaust leak, the revolutions from the engine are louder, but it also sounds a little messier if that makes sense.
Check the exhaust heat shields.

When I first start the car cold, it will usually do a really loud, horrible sounding screeching for a few seconds.
Replace the drive belt(s) and properly tension them.