Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird grinding sound when i'm driving but goes away when I press clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird grinding sound when i'm driving but goes away when I press clutch

I have this weird grinding sound when the car is idling and driving.
You cant really hear it when its idling in neutral unless you're by the front of the car with the hood open by the transmission.

When I am driving you can hear it louder, but as soon as I press the clutch it goes away.

Also it doesn't happen all the time, but it does most of the time.

Could this be the clutch release bearing?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weird grinding sound when i'm driving but goes away when I press clutch

Usually when the sound goes away when you press the clutch in its a throw out bearing. When in neutral press the clutch in and ever so slowly let it out. The noise should start around the time your clutch would normally grab.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Weird grinding sound when i'm driving but goes away when I press clutch

Wrong. Foot down on clutch noise = throwout bearing. Foot off clutch noise = input shaft bearing. Your problem is most likely a blown ISB.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have searched several threads and it seems that its half and half. Some say its throw out and others say its ISB.

Also it doesn't happen in 4th or 5th gear, and only happens sometimes in 3rd gear.

Since I have to take off the tranny, should I just replace both to eliminate the problem for sure.

I'll take a video tomorrow morning to show you what it sounds like and how it is when driving.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Input shaft bearing (or one of the other 4 bearings in the transmission) The throwout bearing only turns when you begin depressing the clutch pedal, it can't make noise with the clutch out all the way (unless it's improperly adjusted and has no freeplay)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the noise while I am at idle in neutral.

Here is the noise while I am driving. (Its kinda hard to hear but the noise is the tranny not the engine accelerating)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Seagull Management

Input shaft bearing.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds kinda like the clutch isnt fully disengaging i dunno if fwd is diff then rwd but my camaro i used to have did this and the pressure plate was cracked
Old 09-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gonna be dropping the tranny on wednesday. Does anyone know where I can get an ISB. I can't find them anywhere. Just full rebuild kits. Which is way more than just finding a used tranny on CL. I can find the throw out bearing but not the input shaft bearing.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by DeeJaaY209
Does anyone know where I can get an ISB. I can't find them anywhere. Just full rebuild kits. Which is way more than just finding a used tranny on CL.
Get the ISB from your local Honda dealer. They're around $20, get the seal that goes under it as well (about $6) You may want to pull the trans apart first and see just which bearing is bad, 95% of the time it's the ISB (bell housing/clutch housing side. But I've also seen the mainshaft bearing at the other end go bad, and I've seen the top countershaft go bad. Any transmission I open gets a new ISB and seal bad or not though just due to how often they go bad, how little they cost, and how hard it is to get to.

Be aware that a used trans is pretty likely to have the same problem.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Wrong. Foot down on clutch noise = throwout bearing. Foot off clutch noise = input shaft bearing. Your problem is most likely a blown ISB.
From his post It sounded exactly like the problem I had. I depressed the clutch it stopped always assumed it to be the throw out bearing. It makes makes more sense that it would be the ISB, your right. "DeeJaaY209" ignore anyone telling you its a throw out bearing, including myself haha. After watching his video it seems like its the input shaft bearing. Its hard trying to pin point a problem when your not working on the car yourself. I can only imagine how service writers at the dealerships feel.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always been of the opinion that, if you're pulling a transmission completely apart to replace an ISB (and yes, you basically have to) you might as well replace all the bearings, seals, and synchros while you're in there.

You can get a full bearing/seal kit from Synchrotech for $175, or a full bearing/seal/synchro kit for $250. Well worth it, since your transmission will be basically new afterwards, assuming you haven't chewed up your gears.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Seagull Management

The ISB is really the only bearing that fails with any sort of regularity in those transmissions. I have seen other bearings go bad, but it's so rare that unless they're actually bad I don't replace them preventatively.

Also the snychros will very rarely be worn past the service limit in a D-series. I've seen it, but it's rare, I have however seen tons with worn gears and sleeves, and that's where stuff really gets expensive.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddies car does same thing. But only in 1st and 2nd gear. And sounds awful at high rpms but it was the input shaft bearing. Sounds like a grinding/whirling noise
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mangogsr
My buddies car does same thing. But only in 1st and 2nd gear. And sounds awful at high rpms but it was the input shaft bearing. Sounds like a grinding/whirling noise
Yeah, that's like mine.

1st and 2nd its real loud. 3rd gets quieter and 4th you can barely hear, and 5th you cant hear at all.

It also seems like if I am driving and shift gears then only give a little gas just enough to stay at the same speed, it doesn't make the noise.