Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Rack and pinion replacement/repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and pinion replacement/repair

2001, LX, 160K. I've been investigating a PS leak for a while now but I determined it is coming from the pinion on my steering. It is dripping down from the steering grommet underneath and I put my finger through the steering column and I can feel fluid pooled in the grommet (I'm glad it leaked so it didn't spill over into the floorboard).

I read several postings and I still had a few questions:

1) It seems (from SM) there are a lot of specialty tools to install the seal rings on the pinion. How did someone who has rebuilt that portion of the steering gearbox done it without the specialty tools? I have a small press but not sure I could get the pinion out of the housing.

2) The fact that the SM seems to give "lite" guidance such as "use cutting tool" to get seal rings off has me thinking it would be better to replace the entire rack. Where have others purchased remans from? I was looking at Majestic Honda but I can't tell if it is $688 or $288 but I think that is the price new/reman.

3) I'm going to replace my inner tie rods while I do the job but is there anything else I should be looking at?

4) This is new territory for me. I understand from several other postings that if I keep the steering wheel stationary (seatbelt maybe) that I don't have to pull the steering column as the SM suggests. However, how do you ensure the new rack and pinion are centered for the installation?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rack and pinion replacement/repair

-$638 is the entire assembly (most of the parts in the picture) while $288 is just the rack (which is what you need). Also, it's about $300-ish at the auto parts store including you giving them the core.

-I would replace the outer tie-rods too.

-The rack should come already centered.

The one time I've done this I pulled the steering column so, that's all I have for ya.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Lazlong. Appreciate it. I recently replaced the outer tie-rods but I plan on changing the inners when I have it out.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi there, I will attempt to replace the rack and pinion on the 02 civic, I will be doing it on jack stands. Is the R&P drop down to remove or is pull out from the driver wheel well?
Asking because if its drop down to remove I might just pay a mechanic with a lift.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is removed through the passenger wheel well. I would recommend watching a video by ericthecarguy before you attempt. Not a hard job but make sure you use tube wrenches on the flare connections and buy the tie-rod removal tool at harbor freight (IMO).

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20and%20pinion
Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks JJ, I got the same problem with the leak inside the car at the driver feet floorboard. Yep I'm ETCG subscriber and a HF regular =]
I actually found directions on the other honda forum, about 33% into the job. I'm just gonna swap in a reman unit from the local autoparts store.

Jack up car
Remove front tires
New steering rack from Majestic Honda
Use seatbelt to hold steering wheel straight and prevent from turning/damage
Remove steering linkage from pinion
Remove resonator and air filter
Remove heater valve bracket
Remove bracket holding return line
Disconnect tie-rods with special tool
Remove plastic cover on passenger side with special tool (like $10 at autozone, saves a lot of clips)
Remove the screw holding steering rack in place.
Remove supply and return fittings. Note the tubing wrench.
Remove last two bolts holding rack by the supply/return
Old rack. Fish it out by turning it up so the pinion is straight up and down and then pull it out the passenger side. Might need a hand because the tie-rods can get tangled and move separately from the rest of the unit.

Last edited by JuNiOr Ts; 09-19-2016 at 10:53 PM.