Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Engine starts for 1 sec, and automatically stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine starts for 1 sec, and automatically stops

Hi Honda gurus!

I have a huge problem: Yesterday I was driving home, and on the way the engine just stopped. I was taking the car to a parking lot, and tried to start it. When I start the engine, the engine starts, and after 1 sec it stops automatically. It looks the fuel cannot get to the engine. We measured the pressure of the fuel, but it is okay. The next idea was, that there is a problem with the keys (immobisilator), but I tried to start it with the other factory key, with the same result: The engine start, and after 1 sec it stops. Last idea was to turn off the alarm system, but with the same result.

If anyone has an idea, please help me!

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine starts for 1 sec, and automatically stops

could be the immobilizer control unit. when it dies does the imobi indicator blink
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Trial User

I have the same problem on a 2001 Civic. I have replaced the fuel pump and Cam Sensor.The immobilizer light blinks when you turn ignition on but does not blink when car stalls. I was thinking maybe ignition switch? No codes are coming up when scanned.If it is ignition switch can I replace it or does it have to done at dealer because of immobilizer? Please help dont want to just keep replacing parts.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u put the gas pedal down a bit and crank the car....can the car stay on? I had this problem and its cuz the ECU needed to relearn the Idle for some odd reason. If the car does crank and engine runs with you playing with the gas pedal, hold it at 3k rpm for ~3-5 min and then turn off the car. The next time you turn the car on it should hold idle . Hope that helped.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Trial User

thanks but if i push on gas it starts to rev and still dies
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eagerly looking for your solution as I have the same problem with my EM2
Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01_civic
if u put the gas pedal down a bit and crank the car....can the car stay on? I had this problem and its cuz the ECU needed to relearn the Idle for some odd reason. If the car does crank and engine runs with you playing with the gas pedal, hold it at 3k rpm for ~3-5 min and then turn off the car. The next time you turn the car on it should hold idle . Hope that helped.
If i start the engine, and put the gas pedal down imemdiately, it will go till 2000-2500 rpm, and after the engine stops again. :-( At the service they also told, there can be a problem with the engine control unit... Next week I will take it to an official Honda salon, i hope they can help...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stann
If i start the engine, and put the gas pedal down imemdiately, it will go till 2000-2500 rpm, and after the engine stops again. :-( At the service they also told, there can be a problem with the engine control unit... Next week I will take it to an official Honda salon, i hope they can help...
so it topps off at 2-2.5k rpm and just dies? Or did you let off the accelerator? hmm...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Meanwhile I was taking the car to an official Honda Dealer, and they could fix the problem. I try to describe the solition:

After at the Honda official dealership they checked the car, they find, that there is a small piece of plastic gum at the "tension roller" (at the control belt). That piece of gum was very used and coult not hold normally the spiral -> the control has jumped one, so the engine did not get the correct sign, so stopped. The tension roller was changed, since than car works corretly.

So, the conclusion was, that I was thinking that it was an electronic problem, but it was 100% mechanic one.

Hope I could help to anybody with the same problem!

Originally Posted by 01_civic
so it topps off at 2-2.5k rpm and just dies? Or did you let off the accelerator? hmm...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do mean belt tensioner by " tension roller" or it's something else?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sheeliboy
do mean belt tensioner by " tension roller" or it's something else?
Most likely.

By the sounds of it, his belt tensioner failed which caused the timing belt to slip/jump timing, so the car wouldn't stay running. After replacing the belt tensioner and resetting the timing, the car works fine. If I'm understanding him correctly.

Meanwhile I was taking the car to an official Honda Dealer, and they could fix the problem. I try to describe the solition:

After at the Honda official dealership they checked the car, they find, that there is a small piece of plastic gum at the "tension roller" (at the control belt). That piece of gum was very used and coult not hold normally the spiral -> the control has jumped one, so the engine did not get the correct sign, so stopped. The tension roller was changed, since than car works corretly.

So, the conclusion was, that I was thinking that it was an electronic problem, but it was 100% mechanic one.

Hope I could help to anybody with the same problem!
Thanks for updating your thread with this information!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi!

I was thinking of the following accesoires (sorry i dont know the english word):

http://www.autosboltgesztely.hu/imag...20-qtt551a.jpg

Its not my photo, just looking for one on the internet... I hope it helped!

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Most likely.

By the sounds of it, his belt tensioner failed which caused the timing belt to slip/jump timing, so the car wouldn't stay running. After replacing the belt tensioner and resetting the timing, the car works fine. If I'm understanding him correctly.

Thanks for updating your thread with this information!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi!

I was thinking of the following accesoires (sorry i dont know the english word)

Its not my photo, just looking for one on the internet... I hope it helped!
Is that (similar to) the part that failed on your car? The one on your car should look different, like this..

Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Is that (similar to) the part that failed on your car? The one on your car should look different, like this..

Yes, exactly this one!!! The is a little piece of gum, which caused the problem at my car!