Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Crank pulley weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank pulley weight reduction

I took the power steering off my 2005 Civic, so I no longer need the power steering pump drive on the crank pulley. I am thinking about cleanly cutting the pulley off of the harmonic balancer and filing it flat so I don’t throw it off balance. I’ve heard that for every 1 lb that you remove from rotating parts of the engine,like the camshaft, crankshaft, flywheel, crank pulley etc, it effects the car like removing 10 lbs. from the interior or body. So if I cut the P/S pulley off the harmonic balancer, the power that would otherwise be used to spin up the extra weight on the crank pulley would go the the wheels, improving acceleration slightly. Am I correct? Are there any downsides to doing this? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Crank pulley weight reduction

Troll.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Troll.
You might be up to something here.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I enjoy ingenuity, but this is going a bit too far. Is there any way to confirm that you are, in fact, not trolling? Because the recent wave of extremely bizarre questioning has been exceptionally suspicious of a troll's behavior.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
I enjoy ingenuity, but this is going a bit too far. Is there any way to confirm that you are, in fact, not trolling? Because the recent wave of extremely bizarre questioning has been exceptionally suspicious of a troll's behavior.
I see how you could think that this is a troll question, but I legitimately don't see a reason why I shouldn't do this. Think about it- You can buy aftermarket crank pulleys that are lighter, and they are proven to gain a few HP, but why not make my own for free? I may be missing something obvious, which is why I am asking before doing this. Thanks for your help, and I sincerely appreciate moderators like you that do their best to keep the forum free of trolls.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:02 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

If you're going to lighten the crank pulley, you'll also need to pull your crankshaft and the torque convertor assembly and have that all balanced as well.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by Vtec04
I see how you could think that this is a troll question, but I legitimately don't see a reason why I shouldn't do this. Think about it- You can buy aftermarket crank pulleys that are lighter, and they are proven to gain a few HP, but why not make my own for free? I may be missing something obvious, which is why I am asking before doing this. Thanks for your help, and I sincerely appreciate moderators like you that do their best to keep the forum free of trolls.
The most I've ever seen gained is 3whp. Now, is that a gain? Yes. Is it a gain you'll notice? No, not in the least.

Here's some of the cons to the prospect:
1. How are you going to balance the assembly?
2. How are you going to cut the pulley? (Because it'll need to be machined, not just hacksawed.)
3. What kind of potential weaknesses are you creating by modifying the crank pulley?
4. What kind of research have you done into modifying a stock crank pulley that make you feel as though you're confident in modifying one?
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
The most I've ever seen gained is 3whp. Now, is that a gain? Yes. Is it a gain you'll notice? No, not in the least.

Here's some of the cons to the prospect:
1. How are you going to balance the assembly?
2. How are you going to cut the pulley? (Because it'll need to be machined, not just hacksawed.)
3. What kind of potential weaknesses are you creating by modifying the crank pulley?
4. What kind of research have you done into modifying a stock crank pulley that make you feel as though you're confident in modifying one?
1. How precisely would it need to be balanced? I was planning to hacksaw the pulley off and then hold a file against the front of the pulley with the engine running to completely smooth it out, therefore balancing it. As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, the pulley is balanced with the little round holes, not the P/S pulley, so cutting the P/S pulley off won't change the balance, as long as I file it flat.
2. Could I not hacksaw it and then machine the surface completely flat with a file like I stated above? I don't see why I couldn't, but I'm far from a machinist, so I'm not sure.
3. I don't believe that I would be weakening the pulley by removing the P/S pulley off the front of it, but I'm not sure about that either.
4. I could not find any results about modding a stock crank pulley in this manner, which is why I am asking the experts on HT before I do this.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a troll, just ignores everyone's advice NOT to use Civic as a tow vehicle. Insists on it, because he can't afford a rental.

A month later, after bragging about towing with the Civic, can't figure out why the head gasket blew on his 'rebuilt' engine. It's a total mystery.

Then there's this gem: https://honda-tech.com/forums/k-seri...e-k20-3310131/

AND now he wants to hack up the harmonic balancer.... on a D17 with a blown head gasket.

Totally not a time wasting troll.

JFC
Old 11-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by Vtec04
1. How precisely would it need to be balanced? I was planning to hacksaw the pulley off and then hold a file against the front of the pulley with the engine running to completely smooth it out, therefore balancing it. As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, the pulley is balanced with the little round holes, not the P/S pulley, so cutting the P/S pulley off won't change the balance, as long as I file it flat.
2. Could I not hacksaw it and then machine the surface completely flat with a file like I stated above? I don't see why I couldn't, but I'm far from a machinist, so I'm not sure.
3. I don't believe that I would be weakening the pulley by removing the P/S pulley off the front of it, but I'm not sure about that either.
4. I could not find any results about modding a stock crank pulley in this manner, which is why I am asking the experts on HT before I do this.
You honestly can't be this dim.

1. How precisely balanced do you want an assembly capable of hitting 7,000 RPM? Umm... VERY precise. Your thought process on how you would modify a crank pulley to achieve said goals, should warrant your Driver's License be permanently revoked.
2. No. No you cannot. A file will not "get it flat" to the extent that you're imagining. (And, yes, I do program and operate CNC's every day... so I can state that with confidence.)
3. I would be shocked to find out that there was no loss of structural integrity from you using a hacksaw.
4. You couldn't find any results about modifying a stock crank pulley, yet you thought you could still do it? Why do you think there were no results? At any rate, you failed at convincing me that you aren't indeed a troll. Best of luck with your endeavors.