Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

A/C Doesn't Work - Except if Bypassing Relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Doesn't Work - Except if Bypassing Relays

My 2003 Honda civic A/C system does not work.

The LED on the AC button turns on, but when pressed, the AC condenser fan doesn't turn on and the compressor doesn't turn on.

If i pop out the two relays under hood and put two paper clips where the AC relays go (one for the condenser fan and one for the compressor) then the system works great.

The relays are working fine, I swapped each of them with the horn relay and verified that the horn blows.

What could be the problem? Is there some electrical disconnect somewhere? Does the ECU detect some issue and is disallowing the AC system to turn on? I'm this close to just running some wires and rigging the system to a DPST switch which i'll mount somewhere inside the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: A/C Doesn't Work - Except if Bypassing Relays

it's likely you are low on refrigerant
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up bypassing the relays with a wire. this worked and has been working for a week now. The only problem is the car can stall out sometimes while idling so i can only run the ac when it's in gear. W'll see how long this lasts

Old 08-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bad idea, escchavez6. The AC compressor has a pressure sensor in the line (can't remember where, evaporator maybe?) that turns the compressor off at certain pressures/temperatures. I have a similar issue, and I've asked the same thing, I was told that you're risking an AC system breech like that.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. I've been using the windows down technique mainly because the engine will stall almost every time if i press the clutch at 3000 rpm and let the engine relax. I even emptied another $25 thing of refrigerant into the AC but no change). If the risk is breaking the AC system, then to me it's like there's no risk, it is kinda nice when driving with the wife in the car.

Also upgraded the switch to be mounted onto the dash
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember if this year had a blowout plug or a valve on the compressor. You run the risk of blowing that valve or blowing a hose up. The lead plug is annoying to replace, if equipped. I've had hoses explode before the plug gave out. Either way results in a huge oil mess covering the engine bay.

Did you do a proper evac and recharge by weight, or did you top it off with the Walmart A/C-Pro-with-extra-oil-and-sealant-death-kit? The stalling could be the compressor slugging from too much oil, or being WAY overcharged. If the ECU is damaged in some way, it might not also be giving your "A/C on" command. It may not know to step the idle up to make up for the drag caused by the A/C. Could also be a bad IACV, or a host of other things. The pressure switch can also be tested with a multimeter while still installed. I believe it was behind the intake somewhere near the brake booster.

You're an adult. Just be aware you're playing with the potential release of extremely hot refrigerant and oil should something compromise your condenser fans/airflow. Additionally, you've bypassed the pressure switch. If the refrigerant leaks out for any reason it will still run the compressor, which is now starved for oil. I had a compressor seize up on a friend's car last year because they added 2oz instead of 4, and it blew the casing apart and sent shrapnel everywhere. A leak will likely blow your compressor apart into little pieces (At least internally), ruin your AC/alternator belt and REALLY strand you. I really hope it doesn't come to that.