Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Air bag q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag q's

Hi I just got my em2 bout a week ago. Got it wit a salvage title. Front end collision is the reason everything's all ready fixed except the drivers airbag. It's not there, in my county I can't pass inspection with any lights on(cel,airbag,..)
I have almost a year so I'm ok for now.

The question. Only the drivers bag was deployed, since only one went off do u think my airbag sensors are still good and I can get away with just getting a new bag and getting my light reset? Or am I Gina have to replace all of it.

Also are any other Honda or Acura steering wheels that are interchangeable?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Air bag q's

Originally Posted by graham b
The question. Only the drivers bag was deployed, since only one went off do u think my airbag sensors are still good and I can get away with just getting a new bag and getting my light reset? Or am I Gina have to replace all of it.
Scan the SRS system, it'll tell you what needs to be fixed or replaced. Here are two links from the FAQ's
Resetting the SRS Light: Link
Retrieving SRS Codes / Intermittent SRS Light: Link
Also are any other Honda or Acura steering wheels that are interchangeable?

Thanks.
EP3 (Civic Si hatchback) is the most commonly used..
EP3 Steering Wheel into EM2: Link
.. but I've seen DC5 (RSX) used also.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my srs light isnt on. The seatbelts never locked up. Its only my airbag light that is on
Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

airbag light is srs...

did u fix it yourself? Or did u buy it with the front end already fixed? I have a DIY to "hide" your airbag light. Its not intended for any criminal use, its just for those who have their airbags deployed and want their light hidden/off.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm also thinking whoever fixed the front end probably bought new seatbelts, and maybe a front passenger airbag. It has happen to me first hand....the previous owner got into a wreck and decided to fix the airbag cover on the passenger side. When I was checking my cabin filters one time.... i noticed the WHOLE AIR BAG WAS MISSING! and they hide the airbag light so it wouldn't come up....

so beware..
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My salvage story: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/18...e-vehicle.html

Steering wheel fitment list: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/resource-what-oem-steering-wheel-fits-my-car-2842882/
Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01_civic
i'm also thinking whoever fixed the front end probably bought new seatbelts, and maybe a front passenger airbag. It has happen to me first hand....the previous owner got into a wreck and decided to fix the airbag cover on the passenger side. When I was checking my cabin filters one time.... i noticed the WHOLE AIR BAG WAS MISSING! and they hide the airbag light so it wouldn't come up....

so beware..
The guy i bought it from fixed it up. He was pretty honest though, hes the one that told me about it. He said only the one deployed and the belts never locked up and thats why he wasnt sure if the sensors needed replacing

Thanks for clearing up the light thing for me, and for all the links fellas
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are inspectors stupid in your county?I think they should be aware of those things too!You got the whole year to find a steering wheel and check the codes,don't get in trouble because of that!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by exb18c1
Are inspectors stupid in your county?I think they should be aware of those things too!You got the whole year to find a steering wheel and check the codes,don't get in trouble because of that!

It depends on the inspection requirements in certain counties. In mine years 96I and up have to get tested on a diagnostic machine. The next one over only requires a visual inspection.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on the inspection requirements in certain counties. In mine years 96I and up have to get tested on a diagnostic machine. The next one over only requires a visual inspection.
I did't read the articles about AIR BAG or SRS lights to go away but it is PCM that controls these lights and it is running a self test everytime the key is turned on,so the inspector just have to turn on the key and wait few seconds.If the light wont come on and he noticed that -you are done my friend!Good luck on that!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, around here you have to have emissions but, the next county over it's just a visual. '96 up is plugged into the OBD and '95 down is the dyno and tailpipe sniffer. Out of 254 counties in this state only 11 have emissions standards, what a crock.