Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

03 civic wheel fitment trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 03 civic wheel fitment trouble

I bought a set of JNC 15x9. I went cheap but idc. The issue is they are supposed to bolt right up but my car has drum brakes in the back and disc in the front for some reason and they won't go on in the front cause the caliper is touching. I wanted to ask some people who have seen a lot of builds and offsets up close what size spacers I should get. The wheels say they come with zero offset so I planned on getting some but the trouble I've had so far with things that are a "direct fit" I'd rather ask someone who knows more. I've seen a lot of people get chewed out on forums. If you think my question is too stupid to answer politely then don't. I'm just some kid learning how to build a car. Any recommendations or advice would be great.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 03 civic wheel fitment trouble

15x9 +0 is not going to fit without a lot of body work, to be honest. As for running spacers to clear your brake calipers, you're going to have even more clearance issues up front with spacers on an already improperly sized wheel. But, if your intentions are to run flares or do a ton of sheetmetal work in the future, a good way to measure for spacers would be to use some cheaper washers and stack them up until the wheel clears the brake caliper, measure the overall thickness, then order a set of bolt-on spacers that are 5mm larger then the thickness of the washers (don't buy the spacers that are just stamped metal because you won't have enough threads on the wheel studs to hold your wheels on safely).
Old 05-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 03 civic wheel fitment trouble

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
15x9 +0 is not going to fit without a lot of body work, to be honest. As for running spacers to clear your brake calipers, you're going to have even more clearance issues up front with spacers on an already improperly sized wheel. But, if your intentions are to run flares or do a ton of sheetmetal work in the future, a good way to measure for spacers would be to use some cheaper washers and stack them up until the wheel clears the brake caliper, measure the overall thickness, then order a set of bolt-on spacers that are 5mm larger then the thickness of the washers (don't buy the spacers that are just stamped metal because you won't have enough threads on the wheel studs to hold your wheels on safely).
When we put the wheel on it bolted down all the way on all of the lugs except the one closest to where it touched. It went down almost all the way before it touched the caliper but the caliper dug into the back of the spoke and made a really small mark. We didn't put them on the back just cause of the drums it was obvious from eye balling it they would go on no problem. I even noticed yesterday on my 03 parts car that the donuts on it were also pretty close to the caliper. Thanks for the advice with the washers. 5mm of spacing might barely clear it but I'll do some measuring and come up with a more comfortable spacing. I saw pictures of older civics with the same 15x9 wheels and they had a good amount of offset on them. More than usual. The car has 240k miles with the same stock suspension so I already plan on upgrading the rest of the suspension besides the coilovers i already have to help support the spacing/offset. Thanks for the advice