Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

► 01-05 Civic Suspension Q&A (coilovers, springs, bars, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: suspension ?'s

^^^ Ya ive already upgraded to the plastic ones.. new lil goodie is gettin my k-sport top hats in the front!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default abs+brake lines with coilovers

did everyone just zip tie theirs? or what u do with the lines? im running it with buddyclub rsd
Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tein ss ftw!!... thanks kenny and leon
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default RSX Type R Suspension on EM2

What do you guys think about the DC5R spring/shock combo on our cars?
A buddy of mine has it on his DC5 and he loves it but i want to get your guy's input on this.

I know it will fit, so that is not the question. I am already running RSX spec coilovers so swapping to the type r suspension will be a breeze.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: RSX Type R Suspension on EM2

My input: Look at the FAQ's before posting.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D17alltheway
Tein ss ftw!!... thanks kenny and leon
No prob sir .. im glad i can help how is it rideing? I juss put progress full coils on my car .. talk about driving like a caddy!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
My input: Look at the FAQ's before posting.
and where in there will it answer my question about the type r suspension?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by tonykdee
and where in there will it answer my question about the type r suspension?
I don't know... maybe this:
RSX (DC5) Suspension components: Link
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know... maybe this:

i have been through that. i know it will fit. and that is all that that thread covers. but how is the ride? how is the drop? how will it be with our car? compared to lets say.. hfp suspension. basically...

What do you guys think about the DC5R spring/shock combo on our cars?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Sanji

i have been through that. i know it will fit. and that is all that that thread covers. but how is the ride? how is the drop? how will it be with our car? compared to lets say.. hfp suspension. basically...
Considering you're asking about the DC5-R OEM suspension, the drop will be very minimal. The dampers and springs will be slightly stiffer, but nothing terribly aggressive. For the price, you'd be better off with a suspension setup actually designed around the car you have.

PS. You could have just bumped the previous thread, considering this topic falls under the same pretenses.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM

i would go with a tein/skunk2 suspension....unless your doing the 5 lug conversion
Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by orlandoEM2
i would go with a tein/skunk2 suspension....unless your doing the 5 lug conversion
Skunk2's dampers are garbage, and their springs are prone to sag.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Considering you're asking about the DC5-R OEM suspension, the drop will be very minimal. The dampers and springs will be slightly stiffer, but nothing terribly aggressive. For the price, you'd be better off with a suspension setup actually designed around the car you have.

PS. You could have just bumped the previous thread, considering this topic falls under the same pretenses.
Yea, i should have. i've been searching for the past couple days on crsx, ephatch, 7thgen and came up with nothing so i just made a new thread.

i'm currently using buddy club n+. they're great coilovers but damn are they too stiff for DD, even on the softest setting. Thinking about the alternatives since i can get a complete type r shock/spring suspension for around $200 locally.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Sanji

Yea, i should have. i've been searching for the past couple days on crsx, ephatch, 7thgen and came up with nothing so i just made a new thread.

i'm currently using buddy club n+. they're great coilovers but damn are they too stiff for DD, even on the softest setting. Thinking about the alternatives since i can get a complete type r shock/spring suspension for around $200 locally.
Why not try a less aggressive coilover, or a nice spring/strut combination?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thinking about it. maybe pair koni yellows with my pro-kit that i still have sitting around.

the reason why i was really leaning towards the type r suspension was because of this. https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/wanna-rsx-ep3-suspension-tuners-good-video-2414044/

check it out matt, lemme know what you think. or anyone. your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Sanji

I've known about the DC5's "interesting" suspension geometry, and how it relates to the track when lowering the vehicle. But, I still don't know if the DC5 Type-R setup is the best setup out there. I'm not saying it isn't nice... just that there are better alternatives.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've known about the DC5's "interesting" suspension geometry, and how it relates to the track when lowering the vehicle. But, I still don't know if the DC5 Type-R setup is the best setup out there. I'm not saying it isn't nice... just that there are better alternatives.
of course, of course.

anyone else want to chime in?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
D-specs you will have to modify your hood to provide space for the adjustment *****.
No you wont...... I have them, and i didnt have to trim anything at all...

You want some more expensive stuff you could get high end K&W too
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did anyone zip tie their ABS and Brake lines? my buddyclub RSD didnt come with a bracket to hold it. anyone had a problem ziptieing stuff?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i zip tied the brake lines to my buddyclub n+. just be careful with how long you leave the brake line from one end to the other because if one side is too long, it may rub against your rim. then you'd be in deep sh*t. lol
Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k thanks, i'll make sure its good. did the zip tie ever snap?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
New User

Default Front Struts and Suspension Noises, PLS Help

I want to first start out with a thank you for anyone that takes their time to try and help me out. Thank you

I have a 2001 Honda Civix LX Sedan 105k miles

Ive needed to replace my front struts for over a year now because they have been rattling on any and every bump not to mention the ride has gone totally to ****.... Now obviously it wasn't so bad at first... just a little noise and not such a bad ride.

The ride itself right now is beyond terrible... its so bad im forced to drive very differently then I ever have just to keep from killing myself. When I hit a bump theres alot of loud noises coming from the front suspension... very fast beat rattling noise, a little bit of squeeking combined with the front end of the car hoping up and down. Odly enough my alignment seems perfect.... she tracks straight as an arrow despite how screwed up my suspension must be.

But now that I have put this off and put this off, im about to break down and start replacing parts myself. My first instinct is to obviously buy two complete struts assembly's one for passenger side and one for driver. Im going to rent a strut compressor and do the job myself. I have worked in a machine shop for a handful of years now so im very confident this wont be hard at all considering some of the things I do at work.

This is what im considering buying
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...995+2596&Nty=1

Not the red adjustable one just a regular set for the front, Im open to suggestions on other brands that are around the same price range... but nothing over 150 per strut for sure.

The main thing I'm curious about is... since I drove so long on bad struts what other front suspension part might I need to replace...

I'm sure the two strut assembly's will help more then anything else, but I want to be prepared for the worst. I have a sneaky suspicion that struts aren't the only thing in dire need of replacement now that Ive ran around with terrible terrible struts for over a year.

I'm also due to have the timing belt replaced... and Ive read if your going to do timing belt you might as well do the water pump since your taking it off anyways.

My hopes are to fix the front suspension, timing belt and water pump all at once... not necessarily in one day, although since I have access to a large variety of air tools and just about anything you could think of thats in a large machine and fabrication shop... im sure I can get this done within a couple days if not one. Overhead crane, jib cranes, mig and tig welder, lathe, mill, drill press etc etc

I'm also contemplating turning all 4 brake rotors on the lathe to make the rotor faces perfectly flat and true again.... any info on that as well would be appreciated too.

Thank you everyone for your help and input.... really appreciate your time spent helping a total stranger

Last edited by JRA1321; 03-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Struts and Suspension Noises, PLS Help

We are in the same boat my friend. My front struts, particularly driver side, are beyond blown. The front end just floats on springs lol. On bumps in the road going under say 30 mph, there is a rattle and bump.

Check your compliance bushings too, they are the bushings in your front lower control arms that run horizontally. There is a good chance those are gone, they suck on these cars. Also check your tie rod ends and endlinks.

I am about to replace all 4 of my strut assys with Tein SS, as well as new front control arms with bushings and ball joints. I bought my control arms off some guy on ebay, he sold em to me for like 100 shippped new. I am sealing the bushings in with construction polyurethane to be safer/stiffer.

Last edited by It Wasn't Me; 03-28-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how low do you have to be to really need the adjustable top hats like the k-sports.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01_civic
k thanks, i'll make sure its good. did the zip tie ever snap?
no, they never snapped. just check it every time you rotate your tires, or if you hear or smell something strange. lol

Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Suspension Q&A (coilovers, springs, bars, etc)