Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

► 01-05 Civic Suspension Q&A (coilovers, springs, bars, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Suspension Q&A (coilovers, springs, bars, etc)

when i got my car it had new monroe quick struts on it and they didnt last 1 year

Last edited by slowDB7; 03-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kaivorth
I've decided I'm just going to let the mechanic do the struts. I don't want to mess with a spring compressor, and I still would need them to install the bushings for me as well. With that being said, what is a good cost effective option? I want to use stock springs, I drive in the winter a lot and don't want the car lowered. Would cheapo Monroe Struts work as well? Here's my list so far:

4 Hard Rubber Bushings
2 Koni Orange Front Struts
2 Koni Orange Rear Struts
4 Wheel alignment

How much can I expect to pay the labor for someone to install this for me?
I've had great luck with Monroe's on passenger vehicles, even on harsh roads in Winter. I would say, if you're trying to keep it budget conscious, they're a good alternative (especially since Rock Auto stocks them).

As for labor, it's going to be tough to give you an accurate estimate, since out here... shops vary tons! If you can find a reliable corner-shop, that may save you some serious coin and you could probably get the install and alignment done for under $300.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
I've had great luck with Monroe's on passenger vehicles, even on harsh roads in Winter. I would say, if you're trying to keep it budget conscious, they're a good alternative (especially since Rock Auto stocks them).

As for labor, it's going to be tough to give you an accurate estimate, since out here... shops vary tons! If you can find a reliable corner-shop, that may save you some serious coin and you could probably get the install and alignment done for under $300.
Good to know. I might go this route. I have an 01 Civic EX with 160k miles, just need something to get her going for awhile!

I'm looking for a link for the control arm bushings I see so many different brands and whatnot. Is there a particular variant you guys recommend?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Sanji

Good to know. I might go this route. I have an 01 Civic EX with 160k miles, just need something to get her going for awhile!

I'm looking for a link for the control arm bushings I see so many different brands and whatnot. Is there a particular variant you guys recommend?
Hard Race makes great bushings.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Hard Race makes great bushings.
I only see them for the 95-00?
Nvm Found them

$100 a set, ew.

Going to go Energy Suspension instead. $50 for the set.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=16.3116

That all I need for front bushings? This with Monroe Struts I shouldn't be in too bad of shape to get me by.

Last edited by kaivorth; 03-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Sanji

I only see them for the 95-00?
Nvm Found them

$100 a set, ew.

Going to go Energy Suspension instead. $50 for the set.
Energy Suspension 16.3116 Front Control Arm Bushings Made by Energy Suspension

That all I need for front bushings? This with Monroe Struts I shouldn't be in too bad of shape to get me by.
Yes, that's all you need for front bushings.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MOOG makes a new control arm bushing you should take into consideration.Innovative MOOG control arm bushing design makes it longer lasting and easy to install - MOOG
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just want to confirm Part Numbers before I press the order button:

MONROE Part # 71434 Left Front Strut $81.79
MONROE Part # 71433 Right Front Strut $81.79
MONROE Part # 71340 (I didn't see a left or a right, safe to assume I just order 2 of this part number for the rear set?) $66.79 * 2

Bushing:
Moog Front Control Arm Bushings K408 (Is this the right set you guys talk about? Was cheaper than the Energy Set) $20

Last edited by kaivorth; 03-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've changed my mind yet again as I'm fixing other issues with the car.

I want to just get a whole pre-assembled strut assembly package. Any thoughts on Unity Automotive?
http://www.completestruts.com/2001/h...t-honda-civic/

Monroe actually sells some, are there any alternatives to get assemblies from? KYB doesn't make any for this car

Monroe 171434 Front
Monroe 171433 Front
Monroe 171340L Rear
Monroe 171340R Rear

Moog Front Control Arm Bushings K408

Correct struts and bushings for my car? Would Monroe just be the go to for strut assemblies? Any other hardware I should get?

Last edited by kaivorth; 04-18-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

monroe would be the last place i would consider getting pre-assembled struts and thats not saying much. look into KYB,tokico its more money but they will last longer in the long run. or maybe those brands don't come in kits im not sure but its your money and you mite just end up in the same boat your in know minus your hard earned money.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lowlife9
monroe would be the last place i would consider getting pre-assembled struts and thats not saying much. look into KYB,tokico its more money but they will last longer in the long run. or maybe those brands don't come in kits im not sure but its your money and you mite just end up in the same boat your in know minus your hard earned money.
Monroes aren't that bad for everyday driving. Had them in my 4Runner before I sold it.
It's been a while since I last posted but my Tokico D-Specs on GC Sleeves are still working fine. I have put quite a few miles on them now.. Not sure if those shocks are still sold for EM2. Great setup for everyday commuting IMO.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lowlife9
Originally Posted by TailZ
Monroes aren't that bad for everyday driving. Had them in my 4Runner before I sold it.
It's been a while since I last posted but my Tokico D-Specs on GC Sleeves are still working fine. I have put quite a few miles on them now.. Not sure if those shocks are still sold for EM2. Great setup for everyday commuting IMO.
I hate how indecisive I am. Going Koni Orange I guess.

Complete set front and back will run me $368. Now I need springs. I want either stock height or a modest .5" drop (I drive in the snow with this, don't want it that low)

TEIN S.TECH Lowering Springs be okay? They're on sale for $160. These shouldn't slam my car right?

Do I need to replace my tophat? Buddy said stock ones get worn and it might be a good idea to get a new one. Any specific one I need?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate how indecisive I am. Going Koni Orange I guess.

Complete set front and back will run me $368. Now I need springs. I want either stock height or a modest .5" drop (I drive in the snow with this, don't want it that low)

TEIN S.TECH Lowering Springs be okay? They're on sale for $160. These shouldn't slam my car right?

Do I need to replace my tophat? Buddy said stock ones get worn and it might be a good idea to get a new one. Any specific one I need?
Where are you from? How much snow are we talking about?
I would go for the Eibach Pro Kit if you are looking for a mild drop. If you want, save up for some coilovers or ground control sleeves. Both can be adjusted to whatever height you want.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where are you from? How much snow are we talking about?
I would go for the Eibach Pro Kit if you are looking for a mild drop. If you want, save up for some coilovers or ground control sleeves. Both can be adjusted to whatever height you want.
Not trying to dump a couple grand into the suspension of a car worth $4k. My next car will be a Saab 9-2x That one I might dump some money in.

I live in NH, in the northeast. We get some snow.

I actually looked at the Tein H Tech and they're less of a drop than both the Eiback and the S Tech. Thoughts?

I'm actually seeing the Eibach for $200 shopping elsewhere...maybe I'll go with that.

I like this setup now.

Koni Orange front + back
Eibach springs all around
Energy Suspension LCA Bushings
Replacing ball joints while I'm at it too. What are decent ball joint brands?

Last edited by kaivorth; 04-19-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not trying to dump a couple grand into the suspension of a car worth $4k. My next car will be a Saab 9-2x That one I might dump some money in.

I live in NH, in the northeast. We get some snow.

I actually looked at the Tein H Tech and they're less of a drop than both the Eiback and the S Tech. Thoughts?
In that case, go for it. Look up a DIY. It's not too bad to install yourself if you're tryin' to save some coin. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In that case, go for it. Look up a DIY. It's not too bad to install yourself if you're tryin' to save some coin. Good luck!

Is this the right part number? $26 on Amazon, I think Moog is a good company? I'll just grab 2 if this is the case.

Moog K90332 Ball Joint
Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Stupid question, most of my experience has been with double wishbone hondas so I am not sure if I need to order additional parts, but here goes.

For my 2002 Civic, I replaced the struts last year without changing the strut bearings, I know stupid mistake, they were clunking and making noise before and still are making noises and pretty much narrowed it down to the strut bearings.

My question is, I bought the OEM metal bearings, would I need to buy new tophats? or do I just replace the old strut bearings and use the existing tophat components?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello guys! I had my Eibach Pro Springs + Koni Struts installed for a few months now. I'm now hearing some road noise, which I've narrowed down to the rear driver wheel. Went to have my alignment checked, and they said my Lateral Rear Arms are worn, and non-adjustable. Currently have 2.5degrees unintentional camber!

I have 2 options for new Rear Arms:
SPC Rear Camber Kit SPC 67230: eBay $100 for the pair
Megan Racing Camber Kit MRS-AC-0710: $85 for the pair
MOOG K90351L: $75 for the pair

Ordered Moog.

My car has a very mild 1" drop. Looking for something that will last. I don't want to spend a lot either, so I'm leaning toward the Megan Racing Kit. Do I need to buy anything else or will the kits come with new bolts and whatnot?

Last edited by kaivorth; 10-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Sanji

Are you sure its not the lower control arms, and not the upper? In factory form, that's the joint you adjust for slight camber issues.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Trial User

Default 2004 ex help?

hi, im new to the honda scene. i have a 2004 civc ex coupe. im needing help on suspension... atm its stock height. i want to stance it. butt i really dunno what to buy
Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default coilovers HELP!!

Hi guys so I'm a little new to the honda scene, I just bought a 2002 honda civic (es2) it's lowered but I'm pretty sure that the setup is shot due to really bad pop in the front right side, same tire has really bad wear on the inner tire whereas the other 3 look brand new.. anyways I'm trying to find a new coilover setup that is good I've been looking at Racelands but I've heard some bad things, anyone know a good brand for coilovers that will put my car around 2-4 inches lower than stock height?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coilovers HELP!!

The pop noise can either be the coilovers set wrong, or the control arm bushings. Racelands are garbage. And 2.5 - 4 inches is an insane drop, and you will have problems, scrapping, bad ride.

What's your budget? Koni yellow struts and shocks and ground control coilovers are a great budget combo.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thehiddencheese
The pop noise can either be the coilovers set wrong, or the control arm bushings. Racelands are garbage. And 2.5 - 4 inches is an insane drop, and you will have problems, scrapping, bad ride.

What's your budget? Koni yellow struts and shocks and ground control coilovers are a great budget combo.

My budget for coilovers at this moment is around 600 to 800, I'm taking my car in to the performance shop next week to try and find out what's going on for sure but if I need new coilovers then I'll be looking around that price range. I want to go accuair but I'll have to save for that so I need something quality to hold me over until then
Old 02-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by raydavid1296
My budget for coilovers at this moment is around 600 to 800, I'm taking my car in to the performance shop next week to try and find out what's going on for sure but if I need new coilovers then I'll be looking around that price range. I want to go accuair but I'll have to save for that so I need something quality to hold me over until then
Something quality in that price range... well, your only feasible option will be Ground Control sleeves over some Koni Yellows or Tokico blues. Anything other than that, is going to be Chinese garbage. But, if it were my car and I was wanting an airbag setup... I would use as little money as possible right now. I would make whatever is on the car work, for the time being. No sense wasting the money.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ► Official EM2/ES1/ES2 Picture Thread (1.1)

Just wandering if I were to buy a half set of the D2 coilovers just for the rear would it take some of the bounce out of the ride ?

Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Suspension Q&A (coilovers, springs, bars, etc)