Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Lip fitment from jdmshit (sir)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (hellsyea2020)

I have the oem lip so fitment isn't an issue...but as far as fastening it to the bottom of the bumper...I used these automotive clips that are threaded and some bolts to attach it to the bumper. These are what the actual oem kit uses. I just got mine from the local ACE hardware store...I spent about $13...but it makes install a breeze.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (icefirezero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icefirezero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's starting to look that way. I used the screws they gave me and tried to see what it would look like when the tabs are pulled to the correct mounting holes. There is indeed a gap between the last mounting hole and the end of the lip. I'm still hoping I won't have to use the double sided tape I buy tomorrow though..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the screws that came with mines and it works just fine. Did you follow the insturctions that came with it? Cause I took my bumper off and put the lip on and started mounting it from the middle and worked my way out to the ends. There are no gaps at all and it looks just like newmans pictures that he put up. you dont need double side tape and I dont kno where you can use it since the lip mounts under the bumper not on it. I will try to borrow my friends camera and take pix of mines but it fits perfect with the screws holding it on so I dunno why you guys cant get it to work. maybe some people can install lips and some cant I dunno.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: (Dane Cook)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dane Cook &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used the screws that came with mines and it works just fine. Did you follow the insturctions that came with it? Cause I took my bumper off and put the lip on and started mounting it from the middle and worked my way out to the ends. There are no gaps at all and it looks just like newmans pictures that he put up. you dont need double side tape and I dont kno where you can use it since the lip mounts under the bumper not on it. I will try to borrow my friends camera and take pix of mines but it fits perfect with the screws holding it on so I dunno why you guys cant get it to work. maybe some people can install lips and some cant I dunno.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, okay....so what did your screws actually screw into on your bumper? Because normally there is no where to fasten them besides THROUGH the bumper unless you have bolts or a bracket for each mounting hole on the bumper.

You need the bracket/fastener dealy just like the other guy has pictured above or else your screw is just spinning in the air......

Also, I haven't said anything definite about the lip and probably will not until I actually get it on today (need to pick up those brackets) to see how it actually turns out. So far, I've only mentioned what I have seen and that is:

Pros:
1. Lip feels really solid, durable and the mold is a pretty good match to the oem
2. Mounting holes all match up well.

Cons:
1. Did not come with the necessary hardware to do a clean job (Unless you don't plan on using the normal mounting points on your our bumper)
2. The ends have a weird finish that is not safely removeable
3. Fitment seems sketchy since the ends do not use the oem mounting point (oem has an extra bracket at the ends that mounts UNDER the bumper)

I could have expected Con #3 since it's a replica and it SHOULDN'T be anything too hard to fix with a little bit of playing around with.

Yes, some people can and can't install lips..

Modified by icefirezero at 4:48 PM 7/13/2006
Old 07-13-2006, 04:51 PM

Alright guys, I slapped that biatch on and it is looking good. All the mounting locations lined up properly and it looks and feels pretty solid. It fit almost "snug like a condom" as someone else has said but I was suprised at how close it was for a replica. The only real problem was screwing in the ends (I had no power tools and urethane is pretty damn durable) so that it would not jut out the sides or look ghetto. I took pics of what I used and the whole process so I'll be updating sometime tonight, I have an engineering project to work on real quick though. Stay tuned! Here's a teaser pic of the finished product though.

Modified by icefirezero at 5:18 AM 7/14/2006
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fitment looks pretty damn good icefirezero
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 PM

do anybody know if there lips come with the hardware?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM-EH2*)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM-EH2* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do anybody know if there lips come with the hardware?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM-EH2* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do anybody know if there lips come with the hardware?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even if they do...doesn't sound like it's the right stuff. Just go to the local hardware store, (ACE) and buy the clips and bolts like I posted above.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (gabebauman)

yeah i've ordered 6 different styles of lips and 2 duckbills from them and the as long as you buy those clips its simple as hell. As you can see in my sig i give them
Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icefirezero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright guys, I slapped that biatch on and it is looking good. All the mounting locations lined up properly and it looks and feels pretty solid. It fit almost "snug like a condom" as someone else has said but I was suprised at how close it was for a replica. The only real problem was screwing in the ends (I had no power tools and urethane is pretty damn durable) so that it would not jut out the sides or look ghetto. I took pics of what I used and the whole process so I'll be updating sometime tonight, I have an engineering project to work on real quick though. Stay tuned! Here's a teaster pic of the finished product though.

http://x31.xanga.com/e9ca522bd...4.jpg
</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks frickin nice!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good. is that the DIY headlight? if so, do you have the link to the DIY tutorial you followed?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 PM

my jdmshit lip fits good enough, and yes ^^ are those headlights DIY?? look nice
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Yeah...they are DIY. I didn't use a guide because my friend was doing it at the same time and he knew how to do them. I believe I made a thread back then that had pics and temperature settings.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't find the link. if you can find that thread, it will be really helpful. thanks.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: (USDM-EH2*)

Alright, so when I recieved the lip it came with "mounting hardware" which consisted of just self tapping screws . As i found out there were no brackets or nuts to use these screws so they are pretty much worthless unless you want to ghetto rig the lip.

I ended up going to Home Depot and buying completely new hardware and this is what is consisted of.

Consists of screws, nuts, and two sizes of washers ( I forgot what size the large washer is, I'll update later).

I resorted to using these to fix the end of the lip to my bumper (just the screws). I also used the nail to put holes into the lip to make it easier for me to put the screw in.

Please bake your lip in the sun for at least 2 hours. I left mine out for 4 and it was perfectly straight. Using a hair dryer doesn't work all that well. But if you have no sun then bust out that hair dryer.

First, take off your bumper. Do not try and install the lip with the bumper on or you will fubar it. After you got it off, flip it upside down and place a screw through a small washer and poke it through the center hole of the lip. Then place the lip so that the center screw on the lip goes through the center mounting point on the bumper. Then take a large washer and slip it on the opposite side of the bumper mounting point and use the nut to fasten. Start from the inside out and be sure to adjust the lip fitment before you tighten it.

I used a nail to make small holes so that i could put the screws on the ends through easier. I just held the lip flush to the bumper while I was screwing it in. Be sure to use two screws so that the lip does not try to rotate.

Make sure everything is lined up and tight. Then mount the bumper back on.

Finito

Modified by icefirezero at 6:18 PM 7/14/2006
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: (highneo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highneo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can't find the link. if you can find that thread, it will be really helpful. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1062344
Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 AM

great post, wish i saw that before i put mine on. haha
Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayNev)

I thought you were gonna use these:

Oh well...looks good.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 AM

Default Re: (gabebauman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabebauman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought you were gonna use these:

Oh well...looks good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My local hardware store were out of those so I had to resort to 100% washers. I guess it worked out alright.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:23 PM

bump for those interested
Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Even though I have a 94-97 SI-VTEC Lip from jdmshit the fitment is actually nice and sturdy, It comes with about 7 self tapping screws, it'll work, but it's better if you get some extra stuff to secure (washer, screw, nuts). I went to home depot and bought like 14washers, 7nuts, 7screws, and it was like 1$-2$, the lip will not come off I've hit so many thing scraped it so bad and nothing is wrong with it.