Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

newb purchasing 6mt coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb purchasing 6mt coupe Please Help

Hey guys and gals, It's nice to be here. I've actually been a member since 05' when I had a 99' LX 5 speed Accord that I loved at the time. Long since totaled by a dumbass (not me). Been driving a 97' ES300 for the past 5 years or so and it's treated me good, but everyday it just puts me to sleep a little more. Needed a Honda, Needed a manual trans.......

Anyway, that brings me to the current car im itching to pull the trigger on, but hesitant due to mileage and price. Wanted to get some opinions and some other concerns I may not be aware of. It is an 05' Accord V-6 6mt coupe with Navi at a local reputable used car dealership. It has 69k. The exterior is cleaner than any used car has a right to be 9 out of 10, the interior I would say is average for a 5 year old car, leather is a bit dirty and slight wear on the drivers seat but nothing out of sync with mileage or age. I'd give it a 7.5 to 8 out of ten.

I've been made aware of the 3rd gear tsb as well as some other problems due to research on the 05' EX four banger my mother just purchased. I've driven it hard and up and down hills while cold, as well as on the highway, probably 25 miles. No matter how hard I tried I could not get it to have even the slightest resistance to third gear or any problems. Actually third seems slightly smoother than engaging second. Though nothing that particularly concerns me. The car seems to be a very strong runner.

It has a clean car fax with one owner from southern PA, probably why the body looks so good. Everything including the nav and heated seats seems to work, tires are about 50-60%. However there are no service records although it runs very strong and the oil looks good but that means little, and I believe it needs front brakes, fresh brake fluid, it has a slight trunk leak(understand it's common) they said will be fixed, I'll also be needing to purchase an updated DVD for the navi I'm sure.

If purchased I'm gonna throw some GM friction modified stuff in the tranny asap and M1 EP in the crankcase with a M1 filter. Only a 5000 mile warranty and hes asking 12,500. No way i'm paying that. He noticed my lexus which is in great shape interior wise and average exterior with a large noticeable bumper paint mark from a hit and run. It has 111k and he said 3,500 is what he could recoup at auction, which is where i was heading as these ES's hold value literally like no other, 3500 to 4 grand is fair according to kbb, nada, and edmunds. So is what he is asking for the Accord surprisingly according to them, it's worth up to 15+ apparently, not that anyone would pay it............ Anyway if you made it this far thank you much, your a trooper. Please offer comments, suggestions, what i should offer, other things to check etc. Also will be paying cash if it should make any difference to them. if you have the time or patience still after my essay please retort lol. Also any total costs on fixing the third gear problem if it were to develop? I've heard around 1500 at an independent shop, clutch replacement costs and average longevity as well is a concern if anyone can shed any light.

Last edited by SmokesGTP; 03-31-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: newb purchasing 6mt coupe

dude i would do it lol. i have never heard any trans problems with hondas but you could always regear it.. every fast as **** honda i know has new gear ratios. good luck post pics
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been searching for one of these also. but i need mine wrecked and for less than $1800 so i can use the drivetrain in an older chassis. i bid on 2 yesterday but they went for $2900.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

7th gen is a great car, imo, coupe or sedan, I4 or V6.

FYI Honda reformulated their mtf awhile ago to improve the syncro engagement issues that were brought up with the last gen TL and Civic Si. I just replaced pennzoil syncromesh with it (i have an '04 I4 5-manual) and have no complaints; it shifts smooth as butter. I'm 95% sure I'll be sticking with Honda fluid after experimenting a bit, if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Perhaps peek through the oil fill hole with a flashlight to get an insight into the condition of the valvetrain; you can't see much but a little is better than nothing. While you're at it you could pull a few plugs if your dealer allows and check their condition as well as the cylinder head and piston?

Sounds like it runs well and is in good condition, if in fact both are true, you can't go wrong with the 7th gen. Best of luck.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a good deal, bought my 06 with 55k for 12.5k. had 3rd repaired (thanks honda). i love mine, but i have a 4 door for more ******.

the new honda stuff will work just fine
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, appreciated. So is the honda fluid newer than one that came out in 08' around the tsb time? If it is perhaps Ill go that way. Seems like a lot of people still using gmsm fm. Any insight on clutch replacement costs? not counting the dealer and their 100$ an hour rates. 1500$ for a clutch would be outta the question. No idea the last owner could have rode it. Had my last accord let go with no warnings at all. I know how to drive, match revs, etc. but can't account for 70k of the last owner.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything on the clutch or fluids guys? I'm still haggling with this guy, looks like the rear bumper cover has been replaced and the trunk is misaligned due to bad gaps, so a definite rear end collision, but only a scrutinizing eye such as mine would be able to tell. I'm trying to convey to him that anyone who wants this particular car (possibly an enthusiast) is probably going to take notice of it and i'm sure he doesn't want it back at auction...... Also is the trunk on the coupe suppose to pop up a good amount when opened with the remote? My mothers 4 door pops up 5 or 6 inches. this one opens, but barely moves up.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya it should pop up away little way. sometimes mine doesn't due to moisture etc. the new stuff came out sometime in 08-09. ive been putting it in mine...no probs.