Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

M-77 Assembly Paste

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M-77 Assembly Paste

Hey All,

What is M-77 Assembly Paste? Looking to replace rear brakes on my 08 Accord and the manual calls out M-77 Assembly Paste. I'm assuming its what the dealer uses when they replace pads. Is there a aftermarket, auto parts store equivalent?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: M-77 Assembly Paste

y not just buy it from honda?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM

brake grease
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not grease, it's paste. It's a gray paste used between the pad backing and shims, and on the edge of the backing where the end clips hold the pads. Some people actually use the stuff on the slide pins, but I prefer to use calliper grease for that. Auto parts stores have it, they call it anti-squeal paste. It prevents the brakes from squealing. Just a heads up, you have to turn the piston on the rear callipers clockwise, to make it go in. Then line the + up so the little tab, on the pad backing, fits into the slot. The notch (+) and screw in piston, is for the emergency brakes, so the front callipers don't have this feature.
The following users liked this post:
KYY
Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't use the M77 paste at all. The best thing you can do with it is throw it in the trash immediately after removing it from the box.

Use anti-seize compound on the shims and use brake caliper grease on the slide pins.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Don't use the M77 paste at all. The best thing you can do with it is throw it in the trash immediately after removing it from the box.

Use anti-seize compound on the shims and use brake caliper grease on the slide pins.
What's wrong with the paste? It works for me. I've been using it for at least 15 years now. I don't even have rotors turned. I just replace the Honda pads, using the paste, and my brakes have been working fine. About $100 per brake job, front and rear (not at the same time).
Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
be professional

What's wrong? Not necessarily the paste itself, but the knuckleheads who apply it. I've wasted more time cleaning out bracket clips and freeing up stuck caliper pins that were goobered up with that crap than I care to remember, because some genius decided it would be a great idea to slather it all over EVERYTHING. Moly Kote paste doesn't belong anywhere near a slide pin or a bracket clip - the only place it should EVER be applied is between the backing plates and the shims.

I used to use it years ago, but I switched to anti-seize compound because it's easier and less messy to apply and generally serves the same purpose. Most Honda technicians that I know don't use the Moly Kote either.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First, I have not, and will not use it on the slide pins. It's not grease, and it seems to dry up a bit over time. I apply it to the pads and shims, just like the service manual says too (not enough that it will squirt out when the brakes are applied, but just enough that it will not completely dry up before the next pad change.

I would agree that never-seize is easier to apply, because it already has a brush in the can to apply it. It seems to me the anti-seize is too thin, and would be more prone to squishing out from between the pads and shims (maybe you just have to use a little less of it). I put very little of the paste on the edge of the pads, where they go into the end clips. As far as being messy, it's easy, if you have a cheap little paint brush to apply it. I use never-seize a lot at work (bolts and plugs), and it can be very messy too. The stuff gets on everything, if you're not very careful, and it's not easy to wash off. I always use an old pair of gloves, when using the crap, so I can just throw them away afterwards.

Do you use calliper grease for the pins? The guys at the local dealership obviously don't, because they don't even have the stuff. I was handed some Hi-temp urea grease instead. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to use it on the next pad change.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
It's not grease, it's paste. It's a gray paste used between the pad backing and shims, and on the edge of the backing where the end clips hold the pads. Some people actually use the stuff on the slide pins, but I prefer to use calliper grease for that. Auto parts stores have it, they call it anti-squeal paste. It prevents the brakes from squealing. Just a heads up, you have to turn the piston on the rear callipers clockwise, to make it go in. Then line the + up so the little tab, on the pad backing, fits into the slot. The notch (+) and screw in piston, is for the emergency brakes, so the front callipers don't have this feature.
Its lithium and/or PTFE grease with molybdenum in it for polishing surfaces. If you prefer to call it a "paste" because that is what Honda termed it be my guest. Generically, if it is to lubricate between parts, its fine to call it a grease or a lube, as many of the similiar lubricants on the market for the exact same purpose are called and by its purpose and composition it meets those requirements.
Now if you don't mind I have to go paste my baking pan with vegetable shortening.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 AM
be professional

I use this for slide pins. If it's unavailable, standard high-temp wheel bearing grease works in a pinch too.

On my track car, I used to use this. Looks like they have a newer ceramic formula now (here) that is rated for much higher temps; if I ever get it back on track, I think I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted by retrosolutions1
Its lithium and/or PTFE grease with molybdenum in it for polishing surfaces.
http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...5103&type=PROD

Dow Corning describes it as both a grease and a paste. "Paste" is certainly an accurate description of M-77 Moly Kote. The stuff certainly sticks and congeals like paste when applied to slide pins and bracket clips, which is exactly the opposite of what you need from a brake lubricant . . .
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
I use this for slide pins. If it's unavailable, standard high-temp wheel bearing grease works in a pinch too.

On my track car, I used to use this. Looks like they have a newer ceramic formula now (here) that is rated for much higher temps; if I ever get it back on track, I think I'll give it a try.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...5103&type=PROD

Dow Corning describes it as both a grease and a paste. "Paste" is certainly an accurate description of M-77 Moly Kote. The stuff certainly sticks and congeals like paste when applied to slide pins and bracket clips, which is exactly the opposite of what you need from a brake lubricant . . .
^ +1

I have had very good results over the yrs with Permatex anti-seize and ultra brake lube .
I swear by there anti-seize products .