Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

I searched... Air Conditioner Condensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I searched... Air Conditioner Condensor

Alright I just worked on an accord this weekend that was in a front end collision for a friend. Apparently after she got her car back from the body shop she said that her AC stopped working.

She's taken it to a few places that have tried to recharge the AC and they told her there was a leak in the AC and were trying to charge her money to replace the pipes. I told her let me take a look at it and we will see what needs to be replaced.

So I pick up some leak detector and some r-134...

I run the leakstop/leak finder and I can audibly hear the leak but the pipes are all fine... and then the noise stops, I proceed to fill it with freon and the leak plugged, and shortly gave and all of the r-134 blew through the radiator.

So the leak is actually inside of the fins of her condenser.

Since she has a 4cly accord it looks like a KA motor, I was wondering of the interchangeability of the AC cores because a brand new condenser runs for about 350 dollars.

Right now I am helping her get that replaced through warranty because a rock didn't cause that leak, thats a legit equipment failure she shouldn't have to pay for.

Just wondering if there is anywhere anyone would recommend I find a replacement since tons of people swapping ka's into their cars may not bring ac along. Meaning it should be pretty cost effective to find a replacement condenser.

lmk.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A front end collision is not a legitimate reason to replace the condenser under warranty. If you're being cheap you can get one from the parts store.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Ross 2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross 2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A front end collision is not a legitimate reason to replace the condenser under warranty. If you're being cheap you can get one from the parts store.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's a problem that arose after the accident she should be resubmitting this to her insurance company.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Exactly. And if the condenser is broken there is likely other hidden damage too.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (Ross 2.0)

Also, any reputable full service shop will recommend if not REQUIRE, all parts be replaced.

Why? Because with that hole in the condensor, small metal fragments may have gotten in the lines, and when you replace the condensor, and then repressurize the system, you could send those metal fragments through the lines, to the compressor and cause damage there.

Maybe you get lucky and that won't happen to you though.

btw, I know the post count is low, but I've built many cars and have years expierence.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Re: I searched... Air Conditioner Condensor (137)

why not just go to honda ?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (TeamKProductions)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamKProductions &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, any reputable full service shop will recommend if not REQUIRE, all parts be replaced.

Why? Because with that hole in the condensor, small metal fragments may have gotten in the lines, and when you replace the condensor, and then repressurize the system, you could send those metal fragments through the lines, to the compressor and cause damage there.

Maybe you get lucky and that won't happen to you though.

btw, I know the post count is low, but I've built many cars and have years expierence.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's complete BS and a lie. I wouldn't even bother calling a noob like you out if you didn't back it up with your "years of experience". A hole punctured in the system does not allow metal fragments in the lines at all. It never has and it never will. The system will depressurize so fast they usually stop working within a minute.
What it does allow in the system is moisture and other contaminates which are easily removed by a deep vacuum over 30 inches of mercury for about 90 minutes.
You would need to replace the receiver drier at that time too. But that's it. Just the damaged part and the receiver drier...
We appreciate your help but you need to have your facts straight before you tell someone they need $2,000+ worth of work.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Re: I searched... Air Conditioner Condensor (137)

how does the condensor turn over ?