Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

 
Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 AM
  #1  
J2S
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Default Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Tail lights and turn signals work, but left and right brake lights do not work. Center brake light is working. My horn works too since its tied into the same fuse. Thanks in advance
J2S is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM
  #2  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Did you check the bulbs?

They are dual filament; one filament for the taillights and another for the brake lights.
tech8 is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM
  #3  
J2S
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Yes, I forgot to mention, the first thing i tried to do was change the bulb.
J2S is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 81
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Center, right, and left brake lights are supplied by the same wires. Did it ever work? Wrong bulbs? Did someone do trailer wiring or do LEDs?
Stuff is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM
  #5  
J2S
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Yep they all used to work, and i have new Sylvania 7443 Long life bulbs in there. To my knowledge the previous owner didnt do trailer wiring, and the bulbs have always been incandescent.
J2S is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM
  #6  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

You need a voltmeter/multi-meter to do some testing.
  1. Unplug the white electrical harness connector at the brake pedal position switch. With a piece of wire or even a small paper clip, jump the terminal cavity no. 1 with the Red wire to terminal cavity no. 2 with Light Green wire. This will supply power (+) to the brake lights without the need to depress the brake pedal while you are doing testing.
  2. Individually disconnect the connectors for the left and right brake lights. Measure the voltage at each connector's Light Green wire cavity terminal (no. 3). -- Is power getting through?

If power is getting through at the left and right brake wires, then the issue may be due to the ground (-) source. Both left and right brake lights share the same ground source.
tech8 is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM
  #7  
J2S
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Alright, i figured it out, there was a loose connection in the ground, i just fixed that and now everything appears to work. Thanks
J2S is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:23 PM
  #8  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Originally Posted by J2S View Post
Alright, i figured it out, there was a loose connection in the ground, i just fixed that and now everything appears to work. Thanks
Hello Iím having the same exact problem with my 09 accord. Do you know where the grounding for the brake lights are located? Iíve been trying to diagnose but canít find the ground
Samuel Fuentes is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM
  #9  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

You have to remove the trim panel. It is on the left side of the trunk.
Attached Images  
tech8 is offline  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM
  #10  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Thanks a ton I really appreciate it
Samuel Fuentes is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM
  #11  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Originally Posted by tech8 View Post
You have to remove the trim panel. It is on the left side of the trunk.
Also have the same problem with my 2 brakes lights not lighting up when pressing the brake pedal. Center brake light works though.

Is the location of the ground different for a 2009 EX-L Coupe? I didn't see what's shown in the attached picture when i removed the trunk liner on the driver side.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!
dakata24 is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 AM
  #12  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Originally Posted by dakata24 View Post
Also have the same problem with my 2 brakes lights not lighting up when pressing the brake pedal. Center brake light works though.

Is the location of the ground different for a 2009 EX-L Coupe? I didn't see what's shown in the attached picture when i removed the trunk liner on the driver side.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!
The circuit diagrams does not show any difference between coupe vs sedan for that ground.

Although the Honda circuit diagrams did not show any difference, on another forum, the ground for a coupe appears to be on the opposite side:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...8&d=1402352734
tech8 is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:58 AM
  #13  
Trial User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

My 2009 Honda accord cp ex-l right brake light out, and I have already purchased and replaced bulb. The left side and center brake light functioning. Is there a fuse that covers both, or is it individual fuses, for left, right' center?
Elsie Fernandez is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
  #14  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Originally Posted by Elsie Fernandez View Post
My 2009 Honda accord cp ex-l right brake light out, and I have already purchased and replaced bulb. The left side and center brake light functioning. Is there a fuse that covers both, or is it individual fuses, for left, right' center?
There is one fuse that protects the circuit for all the brake lights; so, if your other brake lights work, the fuse is not at fault.

Do you have a multi-meter or voltmeter to test?

You can unplug, the connector to the right brake light and check for power (+) when the brake pedal is depressed. If there is power on the green wire with the brake pedal depressed, then the ground wire may be at fault. You can check for continuity to ground on the black wire. The black wire is the ground that goes to Ground G602 like shown in the image I posted above; coupe may have the ground bolt on the opposite side of the rear.
tech8 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM
  #15  
Trial User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Originally Posted by tech8 View Post
You need a voltmeter/multi-meter to do some testing.
  1. Unplug the white electrical harness connector at the brake pedal position switch. With a piece of wire or even a small paper clip, jump the terminal cavity no. 1 with the Red wire to terminal cavity no. 2 with Light Green wire. This will supply power (+) to the brake lights without the need to depress the brake pedal while you are doing testing.
  2. Individually disconnect the connectors for the left and right brake lights. Measure the voltage at each connector's Light Green wire cavity terminal (no. 3). -- Is power getting through?

If power is getting through at the left and right brake wires, then the issue may be due to the ground (-) source. Both left and right brake lights share the same ground source.
would this solution still work if the high lamp works? I have the same issue. changed bulbs, fuse, and brake light switch so far. No luck. thanks
frank77 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 AM
  #16  
Global Moderator
 
tech8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,612
Default Re: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working

Yes, this testing is applicable
tech8 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
afmoose7
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
5
04-15-2006 05:07 PM
mechanik
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
4
06-14-2002 05:41 PM
mechanik
Tech / Misc
3
06-14-2002 05:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Accord 2009 Left and Right brake lights not working


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: