Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Battery power problem on 2008 Accord and CRV

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Battery power problem on 2008 Accord and CRV

Hi, I am an owner of a 2008 Accord EX-L navy 4 cyl., and I live in Montreal, Canada, Quebec.

We get some low temperature like -20 degrees c. quite few times during winter. And I have experienced many problems with starting my car. First of all, the remote starter doesn't always start when around that temperature. And then, when I try to start it manually inside the car, I have to insist and push foward the key a good 4 -5 seconds to finally get it started. And some time, it just doesn't start. The battery power is just to low. Then I have to recharge the battery.

I went twice to my local honda dealer, and they did test the battery and alternator... Everything is normal for them. But they told me that they have a problem with the batteries on new generation Accord and CRV, since they are to small for the vehicule. The service technician also comment that Honda batteries were not as good as the rest of Honda products. So he suggests to me to recharge the battery once per two weeks to avoid other difficulties.

They suggest to me that I must pay for a new battery, to upgrade it to get a bettter powered battery. I told them, that wasn't normal that I had to pay for a better battery on a brand new car. They told me that I wasn't the only one experiencing that problem in Quebec.

Wow! So then Honda dealer tech. reconize the problem, but don't take reponsibility of it. The customer has to pay over $150 to get it fix. This is absolutely not acceptable.

Want to know if you ever heard of that before, and so, your opinion of my situation.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery power problem on 2008 Accord and CRV

4-5 seconds of cranking is not abnormal at those temperatures.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by someone else
4-5 seconds of cranking is not abnormal at those temperatures.
When your're not able to use your remote sarter any more at -20 degree c., because the battery doensn't have enough power, that is not normal. The reason why you pay for remote starter, is you don't need to get in the car to get it started. The main problem here, is that the battery in Accord doesn't support remote starter and starting under regular winter condition.
I have 3 other cars in my driveway, none of them have problem to start under the same condition. ALL OF THEM are FORD

Do you have a smart answer for that?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
New User

with temperatures that cold you may want to think about a battery warmer. its a small heating pad the warms the battery to help keep the electrolyte solution from freezing. i'm not aware of honda offering one, but they're available aftermarket. a bigger battery would only take longer to freeze, however extra cca's may help turn through the cold motor oil. block heater anyone?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlexcustomRide
The main problem here, is that the battery in Accord doesn't support remote starter and starting under regular winter condition.
I have 3 other cars in my driveway, none of them have problem to start under the same condition. ALL OF THEM are FORD

A battery is a battery. there are no specific batteries for a remote start. get your info correct, and get rid of those piece of **** fords.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexcustomRide
When your're not able to use your remote sarter any more at -20 degree c., because the battery doensn't have enough power, that is not normal. The reason why you pay for remote starter, is you don't need to get in the car to get it started. The main problem here, is that the battery in Accord doesn't support remote starter and starting under regular winter condition.

Take your hostility and blow it out your *** ******* as that was an intelligent answer. Try getting 2 or 3 brain cells to work at the same time and you can figure out that you should either get...1) a bigger battery for the shitty climate you live in, or 2) a battery warmer to keep the voltage from dropping so far with the temperature. Your Fords probably have larger batteries with higher CCA.

Or do everyone a favor and get rid of the Honda and stick with the Fords you love so much.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 PM

You're right,
I don't prefer Ford at all, the way they are assembly, and the overall feeling of the car. The new accord is top of the line. I just had fews problems with starting engine in cold temperature. I will find a reasonnable solution to that, .. battery warmer....
This is tho only absolute problem I have so far with the car. Despite ca, Best car ever bought. I like It!

!?%$? Winter here in Canada, so bad.
May be Ford have better battery, that's why. But I would never go back to american car, except for big powered pick up truck.

Thanks for your tips.

Last edited by AlexcustomRide; 02-10-2009 at 01:07 PM.