Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2008 accord AT, smoke coming from car how to find good mechanic located bellflower CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 accord AT, smoke coming from car how to find good mechanic located bellflower CA

Car has 145kish miles. I got in a habit of sometimes downshifting to slow down and that was dumb. When I did it turning into my street something happened because the engine started sounding different and power felt weird too. Took to dealer they could inspect for $160 but even before that when the service man was doing a cursory check under the hood said leaking fluid timebelt hadn’t been replaced me. I didn’t do the $160 check and when coming back home engine started smoking.

beyond just using yelp is there anyone in my area that you would reccomend? How should I proceed? I paid 7,500 for the car tax/registration was like $900 and repairs maint was $900. Have $10,000 into it. I barely drive at all just mile to work and back for most part.

I don’t know anything about cars I just don’t know still the extent of what’s wrong it just sounds like expensive work. I def can’t afford a new car so I’ll just return to bicycling to work. Don’t know what to do.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 2008 accord AT, smoke coming from car how to find good mechanic located bellflowe

How is the car actually running ? You may have overrevved the engine. Check compression.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2008 accord AT, smoke coming from car how to find good mechanic located bellflowe

Originally Posted by johnnybgood1
How is the car actually running ? You may have overrevved the engine. Check compression.
im sorry I don’t know anything about cars but would like to learn at least what I need to maintain and look out for. What is compression and how do I check for it? After it happened the car sounded different and felt less power going to engine then smoked next day. No check engine light.

Went to mechanic and got super ripped off. Mechanic charged me 1,000 for valve cover gasket, idler pulley, and radiator….smoke stopped after they fixed it and engine hasn’t smoked And sounds normal.

Then I got synthetic oil change and bought cabin air filter which i probably didn’t need seeing as I got it year ago and barely drove. I did say never mind to the windshield wipers lol. He said code 3 popped so got transmission fluid changed at diff place.

im surprised the jiffy lube guy didn’t tell me how bad my tires were. Think it’s probably burn and churn there and try to sell more services. I learned about the penny test and my tires are bad. Ordered 4 cheap Goodyear reliant tires from Walmart free install used Groupon credits to buy an alignment. Probably all said and done $450 otd if I get the extra road hazard rotation stuff. Even though I barely drive if it’s just a few bucks a tire might be worth it I’m thinking for my first 5k rotation. being triple AAA member the alignment guy should do a 42 pt inspection. I hope he doesn’t find suspension issues because I am tapped and can’t afford anything right now.

I don’t know….if the car stays good it’ll be okay otherwise I pissed away soo much money for a car I barely drove. I hope suspension is ok one time I didn’t see a dip and ate it hard. I got $1000 worth of maintenance right after I bought it. https://ibb.co/QD0dCsB

The timing pump and water pump was done so that was good news it was done at 104k the car is at 140k right now 2008 v6 ex l coupe. It reminded me of my first car everything down to the color was same, it was the same car pretty much my first car was a 2004 so slightly different body on this one. Little more refined.