Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Accord V6- Starting Issu

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord V6- Starting Issu

For the past month maybe 4 or 5 times, when I tried to start the car, nothing happened. No engine turn over, nothing, just dead. I assumed, that perhaps the gear was not all the way in park. When I pushed the gear shift all the way up, car started right up. Now I believe it was coincidence. Today I tried to start it 6 times and nothing. Eventually it started and I was able to get the car home, however I can't get is started at all now.
When I turn the key,the TCS light and the Alternator(?)light illuminate, but no turnover, then when I release pressure on the key, every other light on the dash lights up but still no turnover

Someone please tell me this is just my battery? Also, how can I check if it's my battery without calling AAA?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2004 Accord V6- Starting Issu

Originally Posted by MariaC
For the past month maybe 4 or 5 times, when I tried to start the car, nothing happened. No engine turn over, nothing, just dead. I assumed, that perhaps the gear was not all the way in park. When I pushed the gear shift all the way up, car started right up. Now I believe it was coincidence. Today I tried to start it 6 times and nothing. Eventually it started and I was able to get the car home, however I can't get is started at all now.
When I turn the key,the TCS light and the Alternator(?)light illuminate, but no turnover, then when I release pressure on the key, every other light on the dash lights up but still no turnover

Someone please tell me this is just my battery? Also, how can I check if it's my battery without calling AAA?
MariaC,

First and foremost, I advise ensuring that the battery terminal bolt/nut is properly torqued down (it's ref #13 and #14 in this Accord V-6 battery diagram). If this bolt is loose then it could conceivably cause your car to not start up.

As for testing your battery life without resorting to calling AAA, you need to check the voltage when the engine is off, not when the alternator is raising system voltage to its normal level. You can test for proper cranking voltage with a voltmeter while cranking the engine. The several hundred amperes of current the starter motor draws should pull the battery voltage down to a normal 9 to 10 volts. Conduct this test: Disable the ignition or injection to prevent the engine from starting. Then put a voltmeter across the battery posts while cranking it with the key or an external remote starter button. Crank for 15 seconds (no longer); the battery voltage should remain 9.6 volts or above.

Of course, another way to check is with a dedicated battery tester that has its own internal resistor pack and voltmeter. This is a lot easier to use because you don't need to disable the engine to crank it. Just check the voltage after 15 seconds.

Hope you get your Accord up and running again!