Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

stereo draining battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
arl
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo draining battery?

I have a 2005 Accord LX. For about the last month, the factory stereo has been operating sporadically. It will turn off and on while i'm driving on its own in both CD/Aux and AM/FM. Sometimes when it is off while the car is running, the stereo will sound like it is trying to read a CD, as if you just inserted a new disc (even when there is no disc in the CD player). This morning i went out to the car and could hear the radio on before i even got to the car; there was not even a key in the ignition. The car wouldn't start, and wouldn't even take a jump start; however, it would attempt to start, and the belt would start running slowly for about a second or two, then nothing.

My plan to just get it up and running (without replacing the whole stereo) is to disconnect the stereo wiring and replace the battery. Is this a stereo wiring issue or is it a greater electrical issue?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stereo draining battery?

SOunds to me like the factory cd player is trying either to load or eject a cd that isn't there. Instead of disassembling your car to disconnect wires why not just pull a fuse?
Fuse #5 in the underdash should do it.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
New User

Is it really possible that even the stereo is not used, it still consumes the battery's energy? It's kinda weird for me that you heard the radio on even before you got into the car. So how will it be fixed?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Trial User

I am having similar problems with my 2007 Accord. It seems as though radio is draining battery. The radio dies. I pull fuse and then re-insert. (fuse is not blown)It works for a day or 2 then does funky things in between. Once the clock display light stayed on while car was off. Another time the display and green cd load indicator light remained on. I have brought car to Honda and their answer is to replace radio. If there is an internal short on radio could it possibly be causing that much of a drain to kill battery?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to figure out if your radio is causing this problem would be a parasitic drain test. Its pretty easy to do, as long as you have a DMM. Hook up the meter in series with the neg (-) battery cable. Then allow the PCM to shut down. This could take up to 30 mins. The max allowable amp draw is around 40miliamps. or .040Amps. Anything less than this is ok. If you have a draw above 40mA start pulling fuses one by one. Pull one check the meter and then put it back. It may seem like a lot of work but if you know what you are doin it takes only 5 min after the PCM is asleep.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DeanHondaPGH
The best way to figure out if your radio is causing this problem would be a parasitic drain test. Its pretty easy to do, as long as you have a DMM. Hook up the meter in series with the neg (-) battery cable. Then allow the PCM to shut down. This could take up to 30 mins. The max allowable amp draw is around 40miliamps. or .040Amps. Anything less than this is ok. If you have a draw above 40mA start pulling fuses one by one. Pull one check the meter and then put it back. It may seem like a lot of work but if you know what you are doin it takes only 5 min after the PCM is asleep.
Thank you so much for your quick response. Will do.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is possible. Your factory radio has a 12v constant wire (always on) and 12v accessory wire (power when key is on) both in its harness. The only way the radio should be able to turn on is if the key is turned to ON or ACCESSORY, which supplies power to its accessory wire giving the radio a signal to turn on. Given the strange things your radio is doing, it sounds like your radio has a short somewhere and this could definitely cause a drain.

I installed stereos for a few years and this body style Accord came in on average 5-10 times per month because their factory stereos were acting up, so I wouldn't doubt if it was your problem.

Dean's meter test will let you know wether or not it is indeed your radio or something else causing the drain.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by old-sk0ol
This is possible. Your factory radio has a 12v constant wire (always on) and 12v accessory wire (power when key is on) both in its harness. The only way the radio should be able to turn on is if the key is turned to ON or ACCESSORY, which supplies power to its accessory wire giving the radio a signal to turn on. Given the strange things your radio is doing, it sounds like your radio has a short somewhere and this could definitely cause a drain.

I installed stereos for a few years and this body style Accord came in on average 5-10 times per month because their factory stereos were acting up, so I wouldn't doubt if it was your problem.

Dean's meter test will let you know wether or not it is indeed your radio or something else causing the drain.
All was well with meter test. All number reads were within specs. I have to believe it is a short in radio. The radio always seems to behave when I turn it over to the professionals to look at. It's when they give the car back that it goes dead or stays lit or whatever, depending on the day. Thanks for getting back to me.