Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Accord Map Lights, Sunglasses Holder, Repair with Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord Map Lights, Sunglasses Holder, Repair with Photos

My 2004 Accord is a great car with just a few items needing some work. This was my oldest daughter's car while she was in college. She wanted to purchase a new car after graduation, but received low trade-in offers for a 10+ year old Accord.

On the other hand, I was looking for a daily driver over the winter after my second oldest daughter took our 1998 Civic to college. I decided to 'buy' the Accord and we agreed on its value, but since the Accord was already titled and registered in both our names, there were no sales taxes, title fees, etc. to increase the total.

Getting back to those few items needing work, I noticed both map lights illuminated when using the clear lens as the switch. However, only the driver side map light in the console assembly, plus the rear dome light, illuminated when opening one of the car doors. The passenger side map light remained dark.

In the grand scheme of things, this was no big deal. But... it was a challenge. And if the sunglasses holder would stop dropping down unexpectedly every now and then, nice bonus.

The next several posts will include photos depicting the work restoring full functionality to the console assembly map lights and secure locking to the sunglasses holder. To keep any single post from getting too long, I'll limit them to approximately six photos each. The total cost turned out very low, but more on that later.

The next post will get the procedure started...
Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 Accord Map Lights, Sunglasses Holder, Repair with Photos

1. Opening ceremonies...

Wow... six photos already. This post ends here, but another is coming to continue the procedure.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

7. The procedure continues...

12. The cam lock was an unexpectedly simple part, and just as simple to uninstall and install...

The procedure moved along nicely. The next post turns the attention to the map lights.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

13. As noted previously, the map lights are next.

15. Honda doesn't sell these switches separately from the base, which costs much more, but an inexpensive source for switches will appear later in the thread.

This procedure is moving closer to completion!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

19. Time to put everything back together.

21. With all connections complete and hardware installed once again, opening the Accord's doors illuminates both map lights...

22. The sunglasses holder opens and closes just as it should...

23. The procedure is now complete, and the patient has responded superbly!

With the procedure complete, the next post will provide more information about the repair parts.

Last edited by othello; 02-07-2021 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Update Image Hosting
Old 01-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cam lock is available from Honda parts sites. Replacing part 21, the 'Cam Set, Lock' returned the sunglasses holder back to correct operation.

The full diagram and parts list appears at the following link...

2004 Honda Accord 4 Door EX KA 5AT Interior Light - HondaPartsNow.com

The 'Cam Set, Lock' replacement part is very inexpensive and the buyer would likely pay more for shipping. If you happen to damage one of the clear map lights lenses, their replacements are inexpensive as well.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda doesn't stock the map light switches as a separate part, requiring replacement of the entire base. Fortunately, the switches are available from a few retail sources.

My purchase of SPED210200 switches came from the linked web site ...

SPED210200 ALPS | Mouser

... and required about a week for processing and shipping. As with the cam lock, shipping cost more than the product itself. The switch operates quite silently. I was expecting a slight metallic click while operating the switch, but heard none.

With the 'procedure' now complete and the 'patient' discharged, best wishes if you attempt the same!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 Acura TSX dome lights didn't work when the door was opened, even though the switch was in the "Door" position. All other lights worked properly, so I knew the door switch was good. Dome lights did work when operated manually.
Several other posts had said to replace the dome light Base (Item #11 on the exploded parts diagram - Honda part# 34404-SDA-A22)
This procedure worked perfectly.
Thanks for the input.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dmoses@endura
2005 Acura TSX dome lights didn't work when the door was opened, even though the switch was in the "Door" position. All other lights worked properly, so I knew the door switch was good. Dome lights did work when operated manually.
Several other posts had said to replace the dome light Base (Item #11 on the exploded parts diagram - Honda part# 34404-SDA-A22)
This procedure worked perfectly.
Thanks for the input.
You're welcome, and thanks for your post. I am truly pleased this thread was useful and helped resolve a similar issue with your Acura.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This simple repair fixed my inoperable map lights in my 2006 Accord EX. They illuminated when turned on manually but not when the door opened. Just wanted to update that the switch part number listed is no longer available and had been superseded by this new part. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...lQotLJWQ%3D%3D
The new part fits and works perfectly.

Last edited by djh617; 01-27-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammatical correction
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After giving the 2004 Honda Accord to another daughter who needed it for nursing school (she is now a practicing RN), she gave the Accord back to me when she bought her first new car.

Nice to have the Accord back in the garage, and happy to return to this site after a few years. I'm also pleased to read this thread has benefited other members.

My map lights and sunglasses holder repair work from 2016 still work just as they did when I completed the work.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How did you get those LEDs to work in your car? I tried putting some in my TSX (which has the same assembly) but it blew the interior lighting fuse. The philips leds even had the same number as the stock lights.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
How did you get those LEDs to work in your car?
Thank you for your post. Just a few general thoughts on LED replacements from my limited but growing experience.

In my home, I replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs with the goal of providing the same light output while lowering my electric bill.
For motorcycle headlights, I replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs with the goal of providing more light output... more lumens... to see better at night.
For car interior lights, I replace incandescent bulbs with color LEDs with the goal of providing an interesting interior color and having some fun while doing so.

More specifically for car interior lights...
Although a separate resistor with an LED bulb should match, or come very close to matching, the stock incandescent wattage, I prefer using LEDs with integrated resistors.
For me, this is just easier. I have a small container full of resistor-less car interior LED bulbs. I'll probably just recycle them one day, but keep hoping to find some other use.

Although blowing a fuse never occurred with any of these bulbs, with resistors or without, resistor-less LED bulbs rarely worked the way I wanted or expected.
On the other hand, matching the incandescent to LED bulb wattage has worked every time for me. Five years later on my Accord, the interior LED bulbs still work great.

Hopefully, this post helps but sorry if it sounds like I'm lecturing. I am pleased to continue the discussion. Sounds like you have a neat project!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
How did you get those LEDs to work in your car? I tried putting some in my TSX (which has the same assembly) but it blew the interior lighting fuse. The philips leds even had the same number as the stock lights.
Just disconnect the negative battery cable before you start with replacement to minimize chances of a short. Using a name brand like Philips should not be an issue. It is not rocket science.