Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Accord Manual won't move after axle and ball joint replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord Manual won't move after axle and ball joint replacement.

My lower ball joint broke a week after hitting a bad pothole that destroyed my tire. I was going 25mph down a residential street when it broke. The ball joint punched a small hole in my rim and broke the axle at the inner cv joint. After scraping up the money for new parts, a new tire, reparing the rim, buying tools etc. I replaced the upper control arm, lower control arm, axle, and pressed a new lower ball joint into the spindle.

When I had the wheels back on I pulled the car out of my driveway onto my street to swap cars around in the driveway. It drove just fine until I was ready to take off for a weekend trip. I made it to the end of my street and as soon as I began to pull onto the mainroad I heard a clunk and the car won't go forward or reverse anymore... though it still rolls as I managed to push it back away from the intersection and I have it parked on the street.

I am seriously thinking of junking it after all the money I spent so far on this repair. But I thought I'd ask here first to see if it sounds like it's worth repairing... i.e. inexpensive.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 Accord Manual won't move after axle and ball joint replacement.

I am assuming you replaced the axle with a new one after this correct? It may be as simple as you didn't seat the axle correctly in the transmission or half shaft, you didn't say which side, and it popped out (been in the same boat before). It is an easy thing to check and should be as simple as popping it back into the transmission or halfshaft and making sure it is properly seated flush with the transmission case or halfshaft. You should be able to feel and hear it sort of "pop/click" into place when the little clip on the splines gets pushed into place.

Last edited by 1999 Civic Si; 06-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2004 Accord Manual won't move after axle and ball joint replacement.

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
I am assuming you replaced the axle with a new once after this correct? It may be as simple as you didn't seat the axle correctly in the transmission or half shaft, you didn't say which side, and it popped out (been in the same boat before). It is an easy thing to check and should be as simple as popping it back into the transmission or halfshaft and making sure it is properly seated flush.
Thanks for your swift reply!

Yes I put a new axle in. I am hoping that that's what the problem is... that I didn't seat the axle correctly. I haven't noticed any problems with my clutch slipping. And the transmission case wasn't damaged when the axle broke. I will take a look at it when I have more time.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2023, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did re-seating the axle take care of the issue?