Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

f^cked up an axle - does it need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 f^cked up an axle - does it need replacement?

Hey I was changing my clutch and trying to get an axle out of the tranny by pulling on it. The inner CV joint separated and wouldn't go back together. By this I mean the axle end was still stuck in the transmission - but the CV joint separated so the axle could spin freely inside the boot without being connected to the transmission and spinning that.

I cut the boot off to see why turning the wheel wasn't turning the transmission and I was shocked to find the CV joint had come apart inside the rubber boot. The control arm was disconnected at this point and I lined up all three bearings on the axle end and slid them back into the slots in the axle end connected to the tranny. As in I broke my axle by pulling too hard on it, but then I lined it all back up and fixed it. I rebolted the control arm and shock etc etc and took it off the jack. I drove the car (kinda hard) and everything seemed fine and there were no noises. all seems well... apart from having no inner CV boot anymore and the grease coating my motor as it flung off at high RPM...

Do I need to get a new axle? I don't have anymore money after the clutch/flywheel....

the car drives fine, and as long as it's all bolted in there's no way the inner CV joint can slip apart again while I'm driving. The control arm holds it in place.

is my car a time bomb or is it safe for daily driving? thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: f^cked up an axle - does it need replacement?

Originally Posted by Corksil
Hey I was changing my clutch and trying to get an axle out of the tranny by pulling on it. The inner CV joint separated and wouldn't go back together. By this I mean the axle end was still stuck in the transmission - but the CV joint separated so the axle could spin freely inside the boot without being connected to the transmission and spinning that.

I cut the boot off to see why turning the wheel wasn't turning the transmission and I was shocked to find the CV joint had come apart inside the rubber boot. The control arm was disconnected at this point and I lined up all three bearings on the axle end and slid them back into the slots in the axle end connected to the tranny. As in I broke my axle by pulling too hard on it, but then I lined it all back up and fixed it. I rebolted the control arm and shock etc etc and took it off the jack. I drove the car (kinda hard) and everything seemed fine and there were no noises. all seems well... apart from having no inner CV boot anymore and the grease coating my motor as it flung off at high RPM...

Do I need to get a new axle? I don't have anymore money after the clutch/flywheel....

the car drives fine, and as long as it's all bolted in there's no way the inner CV joint can slip apart again while I'm driving. The control arm holds it in place.

is my car a time bomb or is it safe for daily driving? thanks!
u can buy a new boot at any autoparts store and repack it with grease
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i already have to change both outer boots and one inner. i'm wondering tho is the axle damaged by coming apart like this or not.

there was no clip or anything i could see holding the axle into the axle end, the boot was the only thing holding the two together and connected. i pulled out too hard on the boot and this fxcked it up..

thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

repack it with grease and get boots. problem solved. to get a axle out you can ues a screwdriver and release the c-clip that holds the axel into the trans. its simple and you can find how to do it online.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 AM

Make sure the needle bearings on the tri-pod bearings are all there. If the bearings came apart then the needles might be within the grease, even if a few fell out then you can expect to have problems.

If all bearings look good then do what goldgreen90ef said and re-pack it with a new boot.

Do not stretch the C clip too much when you pull it off at the end of the tri-pod, if you do just bend it back but try not to first.

Just put the new boot back onto the axle and slide the tri-pod bearings back in, install the C clip and grease the boot then attach it to the Inner CV joint. clamp it and your set.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like there's a c-clip which holds the needle bearings all where they should be without pulling out. i never saw this c-clip when i was re-assembling, maybe it fell off or was lost in the grease. next time i have the car apart i'll reexamine the cv-joint and replace the boot.

thanks, glad i don't have to buy a new axle.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

just my 0.2 but id replace them and get lifetime warranty axles,
this happend when we swapped my buddys ls for a b20, took it in and got a new one.

i think you should be ok for a little while,
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh lifetime warranties are underrated. prolly get new axles in my second phase of crvtec.

phase one - get parts build motor oem make it work
phase two - get better-than-oem stuff (rods, bearings, bolts, axles, etc)
phase three - make sweet with pistons valves etc

it sounds like you have to take apart the axle to replace the cv boot. this answers my question - i thought it was broken when it came apart but this is normal to replace the cv boot. i got it all back together right so it's fine.

thanks all
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corksil
it sounds like you have to take apart the axle to replace the cv boot. this answers my question - i thought it was broken when it came apart but this is normal to replace the cv boot. i got it all back together right so it's fine.
As you figured out the axle is fine. You don't have to cut the boot to get the off though, you just have to remove the clamps, you can reuse them if your careful or use plastic ty wraps/zips ties. Also OEM axles > Aftermarket, even if they are lifetime warranty.