Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord 3.0 EX Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord 3.0 EX Overheating issues

Hello, I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX with a 3.0 Engine and whenever I purchased it about a month ago (from an auction), as I was driving it off the lot the car shut off and I noticed the oil light came on.. I turned on the A/C to full speed as it had been off and I drove it like that ever since like that without that problem ever happening again. I mention that because it may be important but it may not be related. Two days ago I was in traffic and had maybe driven the car for 5 miles when I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way on the H, I popped the hood open and sure enough the engine was extremely hot. Ever since, it started to overheat.. I ran some tests yesterday and here's what I found.. The relays and fuses are all working, nothing is blown. When the key is in the ON position (car not running) both fans turn on albeit at very low speeds.. I checked the resistance of the ECT sensor located just below the intake (first picture) and when cold I get about 1.5k Ohms... Whenever I start the engine with the A/C on both fans will run what seems normally (there is some stopping and starting but nothing seems unusual) Now the problem is once the engine is warm and the Temp Gauge is right in the middle (between C and H), the Radiator Fan (driver side) switches off and then the car starts to overheat. This happens either when idle or running. I checked the resistance of the same sensor and get about 150 Ohms when warm.. After the engine gets hot, I can switch the car on and off and the radiator fan will not switch on. Only the condenser fan works properly... So do I have a faulty fan? I read that cars have a second radiator temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator, but I looked down there and couldn't find it.. I physically got under the car and looked beside the large radiator hose going into the casing but there's no sensor anywhere... Does this specific model have that sensor? How would I test it?

I also took it to an Action Tire today and after they checked it out the guys there told me they couldn't fix it. Because supposedly its an electrical issue and there is a modification to the fan circuit but they didn't really tell me where or why. They just said "take it to the electromechanic". They are always really busy and I am starting to suspect that they just didn't want to bother with it being that fans kicked on and then shut off. They just wanted an easy job or maybe they lack the expertise to properly diagnose. Yes its an electrical issue but I am just not prepared to break the bank...

Edit - I just hooked up an innova scanner to it and go the following codes.

P0155
  1. HO2S B2S1 Heater Circuit Malfunction
  2. HO2S (A/F Sensor) B2S1 Heater Circuit
  3. A/F Sensor B2S1 Heater
P0135
  1. HO2S Heater Failure
  2. HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction
  3. HO2S (A/F Sensor) B1S1 Heater Circuit
  4. Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction
  5. Rear Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction
P0118
  1. ECT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input
  2. Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Those are the three generic codes but the scanner has a Honda specific reader that gives Honda codes and here they are

152-06
  1. HO2S (A/F Sensor) B2S1 Heater Circuit
151-06
  1. HO2S (A/F Sensor) B1S1 Heater Circuit
126-02
  1. F-Can Malfunction (ECM/PCM - Guage Control Module)
06-02
  1. ECT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input
So from what I can tell there are a lot of errors coming from the B2S1 Heater circuit but I also have a couple from B1S1. Any suggestions?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automo...FSCN0412_1.jpg

Last edited by alanz2223; 12-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.