Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Transmission trouble????or other???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission trouble????or other???

Ok so i've got a 98 accord v6 3.0 VTEC, was running down the highway 2 wks ago and car started jumpin when time to shift pulled over let it cool drove it home fine, have not driven it since then, yesterday i am driving down the road and it starts jumping again this time when i tried to give it any gas it would just rev up as if it changed gears back to neutral, if i dropped it back to 3rd gear it would catch and gain speed, when it got to 3500 rpms i would lose power like it went back to neutral then i would shift back to drive and it would catch for a little bit then lose my power again.... what could cause this is it my tranny, or could it be something else......i need help and this is by far the best posting site i have found for accords you guys are AWESOME!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Transmission trouble????or other??? (mehasskills)

Your transmission is going out. Same thing happened in my 98 EX, 4 cylinder. The 6th gen transmissions are bad news. Hate to say it but you are going to have to have it rebuilt or get a remanufactured one. OR do a manual swap.

What you might also try is go to Auto Zone or a similar auto part store and pick up Transmission Fix, made by Lucas. I had a flush done on my tranny then put half a bottle of Transmission Fix in and it shifted smooth for a little while. My tranny was too far gone though.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:43 PM

eeewww thats what i was afraid of i will def. try that transmission fix, im going to change the filter and gasket friday and will put in a half bottle, it just started doing this like i said 2 wks ago and it has not been driven since except yesterday, was told to take it to the transmission place to have them run it off their computers think i will do that on friday as well, i appreciate that 98savage
Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ agree common problem on that year and engine size. There is a cooler update on it. try to get it warrantied by Honda.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 PM

I have a 99 Accord Coupe 3.0L with a B7XA transmission. At around 79,000 KM the tranny started to lag when up shifting, the rpms spiking a little higher than usual. I took it in to have it serviced and they said it was fine, did a flush and added more ATF. The tranny was fine for awhile, but after about a month or 2 it started doing it again. I started to monitor the fluid levels closely, no change still red smelled fine etc... Now my car is at 89,000 KM and the car is almost unusable. When i come to a stop i have to shift to P then to 1st (to make sure i start in 1st) and then up to D3. If i don't do this i end up starting in 2nd or 3rd and have a really tough time of getting through the intersection. The transmission is also now starting to try down shifting while i am driving, once in awhile it will drop out of gear, and continue to try to re engage itself sending rpm spikes to my Tachometer.

I took the car in to be looked at around 88,000 KM and Honda said i needed a new transmission, unfortunately the price of the B7XA transmission is a little out of my price range right now, and getting a rental car until i save up for a transmission is also out of the question. Today i was quoted $5600 for a new transmission and around 4 hours labor (around $500) for a total of $6100 or so.

I understand that American Honda is giving good will transmission replacements depending on service and millage. Does anyone know of Honda Canada doing anything similar?

I am hoping that since i bought the Accord as a Certified Honda Used car from a Honda dealer (waited over 2 months to get the specific model, fully loaded 99 coupe v6) with 35,000 KM on it, and have only put on around 50,000 KM since 2003 i could swing some sort of deal considering all the problems with the B7XA — 4-speed (aka B7TA/B7VA/B7YA/M7ZA/MPZA) transmission.

If anyone has any information please let me know