Transmission Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Help!

1995 Honda Accord Ex, VTEC, Automatic Transmission
NO Check Engine Light, or Flashing D4
Car generally shifts well, and occasionally hard, but definitely not smooth and silky (i wish.. tips?)

Hey guys, I need some help,
I'll list my problems:

1. When releasing gas (in gears 1-3) the car feels like it is not "cruising" but instead being slowed by the transmission. Often it will be slowing until my rpms drop about 500 and bounce back up, then from which it cruises quite normally. Is this normal?

2. Because of problem number one, I always want to get into 4th gear and be able to cruise with my foot off the gas (to save gas), so I try accelerating and basically shift the transmission through the gas pedal, it is kind of hard to get into 4th gear (only in street driving, highway is no problem). Is this normal?

3. I want to adjust the shift linkage cable but have yet (after hours and days of searching) found a way to be able to understand (especially visually) how to properly do it. My question is how do you know when it is perfectly aligned? I know that the throttle and the transmission lever are supposed to move in sync, but is the tranny lever supposed to be all the way down (so that the linkage cable is not pulling it up AT ALL when there is no gas applied), and then is it there that you have 2mm of adjustment room?

I thank you all for all your help

Shinghi

Last edited by Shinghi; 10-13-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Help!

I'd like to know too if anyone has experience adjusting the throttle cable to change shift points. The FSM isn't very clear:

Page 14-89, section V:
Throttle cable adjustment is essential for proper operation of of the transmission. Not only does it effect the shiftpoints if misadjusted, but also the shift quality and lock-up clutch operation. A cable adjusted too long will result in throttle pressure being too low for the amount of engine torque input into the transmission and may cause clutch slippage. A cable adjusted too short will result in too high throttle pressure which may cause harsh shifts, erratic shifts and torque converter hunting.
Page 14-171:
Note: To tailor the shift/lock-up characteristics to a particular customer's driving expectations, you can adjust the throttle control cable up to 2 mm (0.078 in) shorter than the "synchronized" point.
Like the OP, upshifts are a bit too high in all gears for my tastes. I assume that lengthening the cable a touch (but still within spec) will make the upshifts point lower, but I'm just guessing. Anybody know?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinghi
but is the tranny lever supposed to be all the way down (so that the linkage cable is not pulling it up AT ALL when there is no gas applied
Yes, all the way down.

From there, what trans fluid are you using, when was it last changed? It also wouldn't hurt to clean and inspect the lock up solenoid.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did a flush (drain and fill 3 times, driving in between, and Honda atf only). With a little lube guard in there. About 6,000 miles ago.

I have looked at the lock up solenoid before but when I did I really did not know what I was looking for, the screens looked clean, so I just put it back on, is there any way of making sure they are working (if they weren't would that throw a code?)

If I look at the thread on where you adjust the trans linkage cable the nut is nearly at the top of it, is that normal?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the "plungers" on the solenoids-pits or dirt that do not allow it to close off all the way can be an issue.EDIT- to add to your question, measure the resistance across the pins.

Can't say about the position of the nut-as long as the cable is properly adjusted is the important thing.
Attached Images