Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal

94 Accord

I had my timing belt replaced (by the Honda dealership). Is it customary to have the balancer shaft seal changed at that time? Because three weeks after my timing belt replacement my balancer shaft seal failed . Would the balancer shaft seal have shown signs of wear at the time of the timing belt replacement (3 weeks ago)? Is it customary for the balancer shaft to fail 3 weeks after inspection?

In your replies please indicate if you are a Honda tech and years of experience.

Thanks
MJDT
Old 08-23-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal (MJDT)

I use to work for a Honda dealer, and when replacing the timing belt and balancer belt, if the balancer shaft oil seal, (cam and crank) are not leaking they are not replaced. The only way to tell if they are worn is if they are leaking. These seals can be fine one min. and start leaking the next. Trust me if they were leaking when the tech did the belt he would of said something. Its alot easier to replace them when doing a belt then after the fact. Also do you have the balancer shaft retaining plate installed for that seal? Its a piece of metal that helps to hold the seal in. There use to be a recall on this but the recall ended about 2 years ago due to time.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I would have to question if the recall service was ever done to your car. I wasn't able to get my car in for the recall before it ended because I hit a curbe and the fix went past the ending date so I just purchased the part from the dealer and went to do it myself when I changed the timing belt just to find out it was already done. It only costs like $3 from the dealer.

edit:
Here's what it looks like.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda Tech.
12 years of experience.

We ALWAYS replace the cam seal and the balance shaft seal, when we do a timing belt. I can't imagine a situation where an experienced Honda tech would not replace the balance shaft seal and retainer, while replacing the timing belt.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal (Turbowa)

The car is in the shop now so I will let them know that the balancer shaft retaining plate should be installed. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal (AngryTroll)

Thanks for the reply. I wished you had been the one to work on my car.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal (AngryTroll)

Honda tech here...15 years.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AngryTroll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We ALWAYS replace the cam seal and the balance shaft seal, when we do a timing belt. I can't imagine a situation where an experienced Honda tech would not replace the balance shaft seal and retainer, while replacing the timing belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with Angry Troll. It's like an extra 15 minutes to change cam, crank, and balancer seals while in there, VS. 3 hours to fix a comeback.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Balancer Shaft Seal

My front balancer shaft seal is leaking badly so I plan to change it this weekend. I am fairly sure it has the retaining clip installed. My question is HOW do i get the old seal out? Just use a hook pick and tear it up and pull it out?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MyVtec8yourV8
My front balancer shaft seal is leaking badly so I plan to change it this weekend. I am fairly sure it has the retaining clip installed. My question is HOW do i get the old seal out? Just use a hook pick and tear it up and pull it out?
in the following post that I've linked I posted a few pictures showing how I remove and install these seals.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=129
Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 6th gen 2002,accord 4cyl lx f23a1.

Do all of the commonly changed seals during a timing belt/water pump change remove and install in the same fashion?

What are the seals that should be changed during this time and are they relatively easy to get to and change? Any descriptions or diagrams would be helpful.

I will be changing timing belt, water pump, tensioners, all accessory belts, alternator,Engine cover gasket, spark plugs and seals, lower and upper radiator hoses, distributer cap and rotor. I would like to change the reccomended seals also if they are easily changed. I plan to pick up the seals from a Honda dealer and I have everything else ordered to arrive this week.

Thank You,

Daniel
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought this 1994 Honda accord LX March2013, runs good. Got it with 360K+ was told mileage was 200K+. Anyway looks like the water pump went bad. Would like to replace timing belt with water pump. Read on this forum that the balancer seal sb changed too. Would like to do all belts and seals. Can someone suggest a good kit to buy that would have all the parts to do a good job?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took a peak at rockauto for you and they got the Gates timing belt kit TCKWP186 and a timing seal kit by DAYCO Part # SK0004

Both of those would be all you need. The DAYCO kit even has some lubricant. You would use that to lube the inside lip of the seals before you install them. OEM Honda seals come prelubed so you wouldn't need to lube them but aftermarket seals don't. It's really important to put some lube on the inner lip to help the seal break in. Failure to do so could cause the lip to tear as soon as the car is started up and cause the seal to fail prematurely.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great! Thanks a lot. I will check out that website.