Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Strut assembly recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut assembly recommendations?

Hey so I had to replace just about the whole front suspension. Control arms, bushings, tie rod ends, boots and the strut assemblies. Also did the brake upgrade from a wagon. Everything was original and in bad shape and I really couldn’t salvage anything besides the springs. I had ordered KYB strut plus SR4048 and 4047. But then I was informed that the passenger side is on backorder this was about two months ago. I have the drivers side but still waiting for KYB to clear back orders (this is through Rockauto).

My question is would anyone recommend Gabriel, Moog or Monroe? I have tried through almost any retailer I can think of most take my money without checking availability then a few days later cancel the order. I have to get the car up and running it’s been too long and I have the rain coming. I would like for them to last a bit of a while and then possibly a year or 2 later have them changed once this ridiculous wait is cleared.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Strut assembly recommendations?

I know this is a very old post, but were you able to find KYBs for both sides? I need to replace my front struts too and can't find SR 4048 anywhere, so thinking of going with Duralast(I know they are made in China but Autozone offers lifetime warranty).
Old 03-06-2023, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Lifetime warranty is good if you gonna be changing it yourself, but worth nothing really if you going to be paying labour charges to change the crap every time. Labour tends to be more than part costs anyway.

Why not order the kyb struts and order any other branded spring of your choice. I bet it'll work out cheaper anyway
Old 03-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
Lifetime warranty is good if you gonna be changing it yourself, but worth nothing really if you going to be paying labour charges to change the crap every time. Labour tends to be more than part costs anyway.

Why not order the kyb struts and order any other branded spring of your choice. I bet it'll work out cheaper anyway
Yes, I plan to change the struts myself, so going with Duralast. I thought about buying KYB struts and springs, mounts but for that I need to pay for a mechanic to do the work.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed Duralast(Autozone) front struts on my 1997 Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder. Driver side went smooth(may be because the suspension was touched 15 years back due to curb crash), passenger side gave me bit of pain especially the big bolt that connects the fork to lower control arm. Had to struggle to line up fork & LCA to get the bolt in. The struts themselves fit perfectly, other than the folk bolt, sliding up the fork on to the strut is bit of a struggle. Anyways, no more loose steering feel(my driver side strut was leaking), ride feels great. The struts looks solid and weighed same as OEMs, now I need to look into rear suspension noises LOL.