Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Still have noise after replacing rotors, pads and bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have noise after replacing rotors, pads and bearings

Hey all,

After installing a rebuilt tranny in my 01 accord 4cylinder sedan I realized i had some wheel bearing noise from the front and back, and some warped rotors. Have installed new rotors and pads on all corners, plus new wheel bearings and hubs in the back and new bearings and ball joints on the fronts.

For my front bearings and ball joints I had a mechanic press them into my knuckle. After installing them I am having some noise from the front. The mechanic bent the dust shield out of the way and mentioned it to me. So I went to both sides of the car and pushed and pried the shield back to make sure it wasn't rubbing. All seems good when the car is up in the air, I can spin the wheels and don't hear anything.

While driving i can hear some noise like a rotor rubbing on the pad a little, they are brand new so, ok.... but while cornering sometimes (not all times) I hear a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing noise from the front right side. It gets louder the harder I corner sometimes (but not all times).

While driving straight I don't hear anything usually.

I am super frustrated with this car, I seem to have to install everything twice. Could it be the wheel bearing is ****? Or is it something else? I took it to my mechanic, we test drove it together, it really isn't behaving like a bearing noise. We tried driving it in a circle hard going left and right, and couldn't replicate the noise.

What else could cause this noise? Could the brakes dust shield be causing this? Or did I get yet another shitty product out of the box?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Still have noise after replacing rotors, pads and bearings

What parts of the tranny were rebuilt ?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The trans has new filters and some other things, new torque converter. Purchased it with a warranty from a builder in sacramento. Trans seems to be working great, I also had this trans in before I updated the rotors/pads/bearings so I know it's not the trans making the noise.

I also installed brand new axles on this car when I installed the trans.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:15 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Recheck torque on lug nuts and axle nut.
Jack up the left or right wheel with the opposite wheel on the ground, chock the rear wheels. Start engine, put car in drive, don't allow speedo past 30MPH indicated. Any noises?
Recheck the pad/caliper to spindle/rotor. After the noise occurs does the brake pedal need more throw to stop the car normally? Possibly a knockback issue?
Axles, even if they are fine before replacing other components, I've had axles decide it was their time right after I just had them out. Note if there is any clicking or thumping.
Does the noise change wth throttle application or just speed?

FWIW, within the past year I've run into junk bearings for Subaru applications. This was using new Timken brand, or boxed, bearings. Replaced hubs, bearings, even ended up with a complete junkyard knuckle with used bearing/hub before the problem went away. Still unsure what the hell was going on. Similar bearing type as the 98-02 Accord front bearing.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for that plan of attack. Will try to dive in asap. My rear bearings were timkin and are fine, the fronts, I don't even remember.

Thanks again...