Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

SRI with EBay catback Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRI with EBay catback Sound

Hey guys. I have a sri in my 95 accord. I took out the resonator so it sounds loud and ****. So I was wondering if I were to get an eBay catback (to save money of course) would the exhaust still sound like a fartcan? Or does the intake effect the sound from the exhaust? If it doesn't change the sound then I was just gonna get a custom catback done by a local shop RPM.

Last edited by AdammBone; 11-15-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Imma damn fool.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: SRI with EBay catback Sound

So, from your post it looks like you're already in the mindset of cutting corners. That's bad unless you want to be driving a piece of junk that sounds worse than it looks. It's a hard truth, but the truth. eBay fart can exhausts with the giant mufflers are going to sound terrible and only get worse as time goes on as the mufflers deteriorate rapidly. There are two ways to do things, right and again.

If you want a quiet/not raspy aftermarket exhaust that actually helps performance and doesn't make you look like a moron stuck in 1999, look into an Apexi WS2 system. If you like learning, do some research for yourself and find out what it takes to make a good exhaust system and create one that suits your needs with piping, resonator(s), and muffler(s) to get the sound/performance you desire.

To answer your other question, the intake doesn't directly make the exhaust sound any different but it will make the car sound different as a whole.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Installed a CAI back in the day and it was very loud. Didn't care for it. Replaced exhaust with a quality exhaust system that was quieter, but flowed more, than stock. CAI actually is very quiet unless WOT blast under load.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I didn't necessarily cut corners. I ended up getting a spectre universal intake tube with an apexi filter attached. Fit like a charm and it sounds nice. No engine light. And yeah guys I'll probably end up getting the custom one. They quoted me 300$ and I can pick the muffler sound.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AdammBone
Well I didn't necessarily cut corners. I ended up getting a spectre universal intake tube with an apexi filter attached. Fit like a charm and it sounds nice. No engine light. And yeah guys I'll probably end up getting the custom one. They quoted me 300$ and I can pick the muffler sound.
You won't get an engine light on these cars, there's no sensors upstream of the throttle body. I was waffling back and forth between a Prelude vtec airbox and a pod filter with velocity stack. The pod filter and stack sound much louder when I get on it. I like it, I did notice a bit more oomph at part throttle with it on, and the velocity stack gives a bit of a whistle when you apply more throttle than you need to drive economically, so it kind of like a shift light for the gas pedal.

I did cut a corner with my exhaust. The car came with a 2.5" exhaust with cat and a cheap OBX muffler that had blown out. What did I do? I replaced it with another cheap OBX muffler that is on its way to blowing out. XD But that cheap muffler (one of the twin loop ones) has me pretty determined to find a "real" one or spend the cash at a muffler shop to have this one repacked when it wears out.

That said, you get what you pay for. Cheap exhausts will be packed with fiberglass and not stainless steel wool, they'll blow out. I would be dubious of what a muffler shop would put together for only $300. At the least add a resonator to further muffle the noise.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn. So did it sound like a turbo? Haha that's cool. My friend went to the same muffler shop twice. Once for his 97 4runner and for Nissan Juke. They sound beastly. And not that loud cause he picked the low rumble one I guess. But yeah dude Imma just go with the RPM catback. 300$ for a custom made cat sounds ideal instead of getting a eBay fartcan, ya know. Once I get it I'll break fools.