Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Speedometer stopped working any idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 Speedometer stopped working any idea

My speedometer and odometer stopped working. Many told it is speed sensor, I replaced it. It did not work, instead it always showing the speed as 10 mph as soon as I turn the egnition on.
Many suggested to replace the clustor and I did open it and found capacitor opened. I was able to replace the leaky capacitor and the problem of 10mph was solved, but I initially thought all the problem is solved but bad luck, my speedometer still not working, can anyone help to solve this problem. I am guessing electrical problem, infact I replaced the ECU and trans CPU still no luck.I would appriciate
if some one gives me actual wiring diagram. I can trouble shoot.
All this problem happened gradually, I remember it suddenly shows
actual speed and comes back to zero, it was a while ago but now
it stopped completly. Please, please some one help me.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer stopped working any idea

Originally Posted by vedha
My speedometer and odometer stopped working. Many told it is speed sensor, I replaced it. It did not work, instead it always showing the speed as 10 mph as soon as I turn the egnition on.
Many suggested to replace the clustor and I did open it and found capacitor opened. I was able to replace the leaky capacitor and the problem of 10mph was solved, but I initially thought all the problem is solved but bad luck, my speedometer still not working, can anyone help to solve this problem. I am guessing electrical problem, infact I replaced the ECU and trans CPU still no luck.I would appriciate
if some one gives me actual wiring diagram. I can trouble shoot.
All this problem happened gradually, I remember it suddenly shows
actual speed and comes back to zero, it was a while ago but now
it stopped completly. Please, please some one help me.
I still suspect the cluster.
I am correct in understanding you repaired and did not replace your original cluster, correct?
As a quick, harmless check; look at the harness connector and make sure it's making secure connections.
You can find reasonable clusters (from time to time) on Ebay.

P
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
New User

i have the same problem mine will show speed sometimes and usually just drops but the previous owner took it to the shop twice and i dont think he ever took out the cluster so i went down to "pick a part" (dont know if there are any where you live) and found a spedometer and picked it up for 15 bux but i havnt tried it yet mostly because im nervous to take out the dash but for me i think its the speedometer i think it may be the same for you if i get my nerves up to do it ill let you know if it worked
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace the speedo portion of the cluster or get a used gauge cluster from a junk yard. and problem solved
Old 09-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Speedometer stopped working any idea

Thanks for both,and you may be right but I am still waiting for someone to give me circuit diagram so that I can cross check it, also looking for the cluster too. As I had mentioned, spedo use to bounce and work and
because of that I am guessing spedo had a lose connection. Well let me know what's going on your side too any info from others helps.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My office mate had his speedo out for the longest on his Accord. He finally got a ticket and decided to go fix it. He spent money changing the speedo sensor, then electrical tests. Finally, he went to a junk yard mechanic, they put in a 'test' old speedo from junk car and it worked. They matched up his mileage, and he was good as new again. I would suggest go to a junk yard and pull it out and ask to test it before you buy it, or ask for it to have a warranty where if it is not working when you put it in, you can return it or something like that. Its really easy to pull out. Read the manual and you will see the instructions.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vedha
Thanks for both,and you may be right but I am still waiting for someone to give me circuit diagram so that I can cross check it, also looking for the cluster too. As I had mentioned, spedo use to bounce and work and
because of that I am guessing spedo had a lose connection. Well let me know what's going on your side too any info from others helps.
I don't believe you'll find a published circuit diagram for the cluster's printed circuit. The drive motor for the speedo/odo has been an issue in the past.

Throughout the history of this forum (I've been here for a while) there have been far too numerous threads for inop speedo's. They have encompassed four (4) types of failures causes by:
1) VSS. Speedo complaint with an associated CEL indicator.
2) Cluster. Speedo complaint w/out associated CEL indicator.
3) Harness Connector.
4) Indiglo Gauge Face upgrades.

I believe your issue falls with the second option.

P
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, not sure if I should post here or start a new thread. I have a problem with my speedo too, but not the same as the original poster.

I have a 94 Accord (5th Gen) and have a speedo that will work only sometimes. Because it can still function when it wants to, I am at a loss at how to troubleshoot it.

Something I have noticed is that the speedometer rarely worked over the winter months. My odometer would be lucky to record 10% of the distance I travelled. Now the weather is getting warmer (I live in New Zealand, so we are now in spring) my speedo is operating nearer to 60% of the time. Because the mornings are still cold, I often drive to work with the speedo not working, but will drive home in the warmer evening with the speedo working. This may all be coincidence, but I would not know for sure.

Please note that I am referring to the weather temperature and not the operating temperature of my car.

Can a VSS perform irregularly, or do they just fail outright?

Also, I noticed in the manual that there is something called a drive link that sits beneath the VSS. Can the link stick or wear?

I also have problems with my A/C and have read on other forums that VSS failures will cause issues for the A/C. Does anyone know if this is true?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

#2 is your problem

VSS has nothing to do with AC
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m51t
Hi, not sure if I should post here or start a new thread. I have a problem with my speedo too, but not the same as the original poster.

I have a 94 Accord (5th Gen) and have a speedo that will work only sometimes. Because it can still function when it wants to, I am at a loss at how to troubleshoot it.

Something I have noticed is that the speedometer rarely worked over the winter months. My odometer would be lucky to record 10% of the distance I travelled. Now the weather is getting warmer (I live in New Zealand, so we are now in spring) my speedo is operating nearer to 60% of the time. Because the mornings are still cold, I often drive to work with the speedo not working, but will drive home in the warmer evening with the speedo working. This may all be coincidence, but I would not know for sure.

Please note that I am referring to the weather temperature and not the operating temperature of my car.

Can a VSS perform irregularly, or do they just fail outright?

Also, I noticed in the manual that there is something called a drive link that sits beneath the VSS. Can the link stick or wear?

I also have problems with my A/C and have read on other forums that VSS failures will cause issues for the A/C. Does anyone know if this is true?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The vss does no effect the a/c at all. It is used for engine and transmission management only. The cluster takes a shared signal and processes it to operate the speedometer AND odometer.

P
Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am giving an update on my speedo issue 1990, as suggested by few I
did go to the junk yard and replaced the whole cluster not just one but from two diffrent unit and at both time if failed to show the speed. Well after all those trouble I hoped it will work, anyway I am thinking to rewire and still begging for the circuit diagram not the cluster but the wire and voltages at various places.
Let me go specific about 90 accord, cluster is error free in the begining
I go half a mile the speed sensor light(green light) starts flashing further
half a mile the check engine light comes on and stays till I cut off the engine and start the car again no error lights and it repeates. I did check the error code and it did gave code 17 which is pointing to speed sensor.
Any idea!!!

Last edited by vedha; 09-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you MuffinMan and P Adams. I guess I'll have to pull my dash apart this weekend and replace the speedometer.

For future reference, will a failed VSS always give an error message?

Also, with these error messages (CEL), are they displayed automatically or do you access them manually.

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never had a working speedo

i just flow with the traffic

but yeah, my milage and speedo stopped sometime before i got the car
i still have rpms, so is my sensor good??
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by granny racer
i have never had a working speedo

i just flow with the traffic

but yeah, my milage and speedo stopped sometime before i got the car
i still have rpms, so is my sensor good??
M51T: The VSS will set a code and illuminate the Check Engine Lamp (CEL) dash warning lamp. The coes is retrievable two ways:
The Jumper Paper Clip and Toe Counting mrthodology.
A Scanner compatable with your OBD(x) system.

Granny Racer:
RPM's get a signal from the ECM.
The VSS is not involved in the tach Function.
If you have NO CEL, then you would suspect the VSS is ok......

P
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do i need a new cluster?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voltage issue, either with the gauge or, well you said you replaced the sensor. Maybe a resitor or diode went out on the gauge, You can get just that gauge, but i'm not sure if is even cheaper than the enitr cluster.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless i have the extra money, i think i can live without won haha,
down here, the cops aren't super strict. everyone goes 5 or 10 over
Old 09-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Latest update on my honda accord 90, I was able to come close, I
guess in solving the problem using block diagram and wiring diagram.I had a bad connection going from speed sensor to ECU
harness and able to fix that. I thought the problem is solved but
still did not get the voltage or pulse but when I disconnected VSS
the required (5V)appeared. I think I got a bad new sensor from Ebay.When I connect, the voltage drops to 0.4Volts and when disconnected it reads almost 5 Volts. So I am thinking the speed sonsor is the problem and if any one has any Idea about how much voltage suppose to be while it is connected? Mean while I try to replace the VSS.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally the problem solved, my speedo meter and odometer all started working. Let me thank all of you guys who try to help me.
It was a combination of problem that resulted in getting into this mess, any way the voltage (pulse) going into the TCU, the orange
wire, was problem number one. The faulty speedsensor from the
ebay it self was bad was problem number two. It had a short circuit and because of that, as soon as connect the voltage was droping to zero. Then, I relaced speedsensor and its all working.The cruise,odo & speedo.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 PM
New User

I have a 1990 Honda Prelude and the speedometer/odemeter/cruise control stopped working then the check engine light came on. I replaced the Mechanical Speed Sensor and still no luck. Please help I have some good info from here any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.