Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C

How hard is it to remove the ABS unit and all its components from the car and what kind of weight can i expect gone from removing all of the above listed stuff.. I'm just trying to reduce some weight and i don't use those things normally....
Old 04-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (jagged4698)

why would you want to remove your ABS?! thats what might save you one day.... i think maybe your confused with powersteering... are you sure you want to remove abs?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (14aZnS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 14aZnS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you want to remove your ABS?! thats what might save you one day.... i think maybe your confused with powersteering... are you sure you want to remove abs?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ya man, wtf are u thinking?

removing AC is good if you live in an area where you wont boil to death in july and dont mind rolling around with ur windows down when they fog up.

honestly you wont save THAT much weight, its more of a mod to clean up room in the engine bay for a turbo setup
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (puma1077)

Well with the ABS unit it doesn't work anyway... The ABS light is on in the dash and there seems to be a large leak in the system somewhere... I'm sure it may save me one day but the past 2 winters I haven't used it. Living in Minnesota AC isn't used that often and it doesn't really blow cold air anyway... I may remove the powersteering as well. But as far as i see it i'm not gonna spend a ton of money to replace the abs system....
Old 04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a word of advise my Jagged friend ,,i notice that you live in minnesota that is snow and icy roads do not and i say it again do not get rid of your ABS
Old 04-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ooops hit the wrong key as i was saying go fix your ABS befoe winter comes again up in snow country it could be a real life saver when the roads are slippery i used to live in Wisconsin and without ABS i had to pump up the brake pedal to avoid skidding well the ABS system does that for you while you just hold the brake pedal down thus making you stop quicker .,,,i think you have a modulator that is leaking very common on 94-95 accords , dealer sells o-rings to reseal it and the accumulator ...FIX IT
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (deserthonda)

we removed the abs in my car, and used a non-abs accord's distributation block and a bender to re-route the brake lines to it. We didn't even have to get new lines. But one thing that would make it 1000 times easier would be to get steel braided brake lines. That way you could mount the distributation block and the brake lines wherever you wanted to. You also wouldn't have to worry about pinching any lines. I'll take pics tonight or tomorrow and post them up for you.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: (Drag-Accord)

Ok here's what it looks like. This is in my 93 Accord EX 5-speed That used to have ABS. Since i removed everything that is involved with emissions and am using a standalone engine management i removed the box that the map sensor and other emmisions crap is in. I relocated the fuse box inside the car underneath the dash board. And without the huge ABS thing there anymore, the ever so cluttered accord engine bay looks much cleaner.

Just the ABS system alone probably saved anywhere from 50-75 lbs. But that includes EVERYTHING. All the wiring and sensors, the ABS ECU in the trunk. That ABS pump(not sure) that sits in front of the radiator and is mounted on the crossmember. Then the 30-40lb ABS modulator(that the brake lines go into), and also the relay box and fuses. If your try to slim down the wieght of your accord, and your ABS is broken and you don't have $1000+ to fix it, well here's the mod for you lol. Although i can't imagine how long this would take if you had the motor still in the car. This is one of those mods that you do when you have the motor out.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:09 AM

damn thats clean. Ive always wanted to some little things to help clean up the engine bay. but theres no way im taking out my AC. When I get my AEM EMS when i turbo ill do what u did with all the stock ECU crap, and prob relocate the fuse box under the dash also
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (jagged4698)

Go ahead and devalue your car. its not completly stupid at all.....
Old 04-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (BaGGed HoNDa)

Um ok, you must be retarded. You didn't take note to my name obviously...

There are other people in the world that actually have different views then you have when it comes to modding their car. And for those people(like the person who started this thread) my description and picture are very helpful to them.

So, thanks for coming in a thread that you know nothing about and flaming.

You have a lot of ground to cover if you want to post on about 95% of all the threads on honda-tech and tell everyone how stupid they are for devaluing their cars...moron
Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (Drag-Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BaGGed HoNDa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go ahead and devalue your car. its not completly stupid at all..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

errr well first of all the value of my car doesn't matter much cause the damn thing has 203,xxx miles..... there are multiple things that don't work such as the ABS UNIT (reason for removal) and it has been in so many accidents and restored so many times i don't think anything on that car is "OEM" so value isn't much. I have a couple of reasons for wanting to remove this unit... 1) weight.... every pound counts when it comes to racing as well as driving to and from school/work with gas prices so damn high... so it will save me SOME.. not much but some.... 2) i have plans to build this thing up later on after school is out and free space is good... and 3) because i'm not gonna pay huge $$$ to fix something i lived without in the past.. And the post with the pic is very helpful cause it scared the hell out of me seeing what is really involved in doing this task :-p
Old 04-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (Drag-Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag-Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um ok, you must be retarded. You didn't take note to my name obviously...

There are other people in the world that actually have different views then you have when it comes to modding their car. And for those people(like the person who started this thread) my description and picture are very helpful to them.

So, thanks for coming in a thread that you know nothing about and flaming.

You have a lot of ground to cover if you want to post on about 95% of all the threads on honda-tech and tell everyone how stupid they are for devaluing their cars...moron </TD></TR></TABLE>
The ONLY exception for removing your abs would be a full drag car in which you have a parachute or an alternate and better way of stopping, otherwise its just stupid and an uneducated modification. By directing what you said towards me just proves how pitiful you actually are, if you take a look, it was a REPLY to the first post in the thread not yours….
Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (BaGGed HoNDa)

exactly..... on an everyday driver abs is a certain must.. it does much more than what you actually think it does. it will also save you money rather than paying for the cost of rearending sumone or trying to fix your total car when you end up breaking to hard and sliding into sumthing. especialy wher eyou live road harzards are everywhere just keep the abs... whats wrong with it?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 PM
goowakjai

in my opinion, go for it, remove the ABS, like u said, it hasnt been working for 2 years already, and u made it thru 2 winters no prob(im assuming)...its really just how confident r u in ur driving skill, i personally wud think it wud be alot better wit out the abs in the snow, makes for more control if ur a skilled enuff driver, sucks having a car trying to figure out wut u wunt it to do...
Old 04-26-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: removing abs unit, cruise control and A/C (goowakjai)

I agree. Look at the all the other accords that don't even come w/ABS. Only the EX model's come with ABS(90-97) Those people seem to be doing fine w/o it. If it's broken and your not going to fix it, then pull it out. If you are worried about safetly and you don't know how to pump your brakes and stop normally then get it fixed
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 AM

I have the same problem, my ABS haven't been working for the past years and a half. I also want to take it out, there's no way I'm going to get it fix for $$$$ just too much. I also do some search but there/s no write up for it. any one have a write up on how to take it out?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drag-Accord)

Originally Posted by Drag-Accord
Ok here's what it looks like. This is in my 93 Accord EX 5-speed That used to have ABS. Since i removed everything that is involved with emissions and am using a standalone engine management i removed the box that the map sensor and other emmisions crap is in. I relocated the fuse box inside the car underneath the dash board. And without the huge ABS thing there anymore, the ever so cluttered accord engine bay looks much cleaner.

Just the ABS system alone probably saved anywhere from 50-75 lbs. But that includes EVERYTHING. All the wiring and sensors, the ABS ECU in the trunk. That ABS pump(not sure) that sits in front of the radiator and is mounted on the crossmember. Then the 30-40lb ABS modulator(that the brake lines go into), and also the relay box and fuses. If your try to slim down the wieght of your accord, and your ABS is broken and you don't have $1000+ to fix it, well here's the mod for you lol. Although i can't imagine how long this would take if you had the motor still in the car. This is one of those mods that you do when you have the motor out.

im wondering what is he talkin about when he says distribution block(mentioned it in his previous post). ide love to find a cheap way to remove the abs system without having to spend money on a bunch of new lines porp valv master cyl etc. anyone else have a picture of how this would work