Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Radio removed and put back in--car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Radio removed and put back in--car won't start!

Hi~I have a 92 Accord EX...So hubby got a cassette stuck in the radio (original radio with anti-theft alarm built in). We could not get it out, and the radio would not operate.

(This is as told to me by hubby--I was not there) So he was driving by a tire mechanic and decided to see if the guy knew of a way to get it out. The guy was able to remove the cassette, but the radio still was not working. So he started to remove the radio to see if there was a fuse behind it that blew. My husband told him not to remove it, but the guy kept insisting he could get it.

He ended up having to take off the dash by the steering wheel. The guy could not get the radio out because the screws to take it out were in a difficult spot. He checked all these fuses and was popping things out by the steering column. He had the radio a little loose and he disconnected a wire near the cigarette lighter and ashtray. Then the disconnected the battery and put it back on, then the CODE light came on in the radio and they entered the code. The radio still did not work, but the guy said there was electricity running to it, so it was technically on, but no music.

After he put everything back together, but had trouble reconnecting the one wire near the cig lighter. Not sure if he got that totally connected, but when he got everything else back together and the radio back in, the car would then NOT START. The car cranked but wouldn't turn over...is this all part of the anti-theft device being violated? How do we get this car working again? Right now, it is parked at this tire place, and we are calling the Honda dealer in the morning. We might even have to tow it there...UGH!

Anyone have any advice?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Radio removed and put back in--car won't start!

check your fuses
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radio removed and put back in--car won't start!

The car should be able to start fine with radio/stereo disconnected. Did you try to jumpstart the car battery?