Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil leak and inconsistent dipstick readings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak and inconsistent dipstick readings?

I’ve made some repairs to my 98 accord recently and it’s been running ok for the past week or so. Last night I checked my oil level with the car engine on since it was cold outside, and there appeared to be no oil in my car. I also noticed a small brown puddle under my car. So I figured I had an oil leak, added in a couple quarts of oil and afterwards it was just above the low dot but I figured that was better then nothing. Then later I stopped at Walmart, added a third quart and finished driving home. This afternoon I noticed more oil spots on the driveway, so I turned on the engine because it’s still chilly out and checked the oil dipstick and it measured right on the bottom (low) dot. I wanted to add more but figured no, since it’s leaking then I’ll add some before work in the morning. I saw it actively leaking oil onto the driveway. About an hour later I checked it again without turning the engine on since it was a little warmer outside, now it is reading as above the full line.

I am so confused. My car seems to be running fine.

I’m pretty sure there’s an oil leak, but I have no idea how much oil is in my car. It’s Sunday so I can’t take my car anywhere and have to drive to work in the morning.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:16 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Oil leak and inconsistent dipstick readings?

Originally Posted by Brooke Taylor
I checked my oil level with the car engine on
I turned on the engine because it’s still chilly out and checked the oil dipstick...
...checked it again without turning the engine on since it was a little warmer outside, now it is reading as above the full line.
You check your oil level when the car is parked on a flat level surface and the engine is OFF. Temperature doesn't matter.
Currently your oil is overfilled.
Running the engine with too much oil will cause an oil leak, way too much oil will cause engine damage.

If your vehicle owners manual is still available, I'd suggest reading up on basic maintenance items and how to properly check them.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil leak and inconsistent dipstick readings?

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
You check your oil level when the car is parked on a flat level surface and the engine is OFF. Temperature doesn't matter.
Currently your oil is overfilled.
Running the engine with too much oil will cause an oil leak, way too much oil will cause engine damage.

If your vehicle owners manual is still available, I'd suggest reading up on basic maintenance items and how to properly check them.
It was leaking before I filled it, and it is now above the line by about quarter of an inch. I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow after work to get the leak diagnosed and fixed.