Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

need some opinions, the heater valve is missing ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some opinions, the heater valve is missing ...

Vehicle: 95 accord, vtec, at, 160k

literally. while I was back flushing my cooling system thru the upper rad hose trying to clean out the heater core thru an open inlet hose. i wondered why the water was flowing thru the valve when it was in the off position. i took the heater valve off and there was no valve inside of the part. the white colored valve inside curled up somewhat as if melted, and it also looked as if it corroded or maybe had broken off in another spot. the damage looked old, but im still not sure when or what happened. since the actual valve inside is larger than the hose tubes going into the valve, it couldnt fit thru its inlet or outlet tubes on the body of the valve. i didnt see any sharp broken off jagged edges to indicate breakage, but perhaps it dint break but melted. however, those valves are designed to handle hot coolant so it is hard to figure what happened.

right before i discovered the missing valve i had been cleaning the cooling system for grease, oil, and rust with two cleaning solutions. but neither of them would destroy the valve. ive left these same cleaners in plastic buckets for months without any problems. in fact, plastic or rubber containers are what you have to use. all they would have done is cleaned the plastic and rubber parts if anything.

Last edited by AtoZ; 01-13-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: need some opinions, the heater valve is missing ...

Originally Posted by AtoZ
Vehicle: 95 accord, vtec, at, 160k

literally in fact. while I was back flushing my cooling system with, i wondered why the water was flowing thru the valve when it was in the off position. I was flushing thru the upper rad hose trying to clean out the heater core thru the inlet hose, which was off off the heater valve. so, i took the heater valve off and there is no valve inside of the part, water flows straight thru it. the white colored valve inside curled up into little *****. for one thing, since the actual valve inside is larger than the hose tubes going into the valve, there is no way the whole valve got thru those tubes, and there are no broken off pieces that i can see - no sharp jagged edges. my best guess is that when the vehicle overheated on the previous owner, perhaps the coolant got so hot that it melted the valve inside. But on the other hand those valves are designed to handle hot coolant ... bizarre!?
I'm at a loss myself.
If it had been overheated that badly, you'd see more stuff melted than just the guts of the Hot Water Control valve.
In addition, I can't think of a chemical which would attack it and not ruin other stuff as well.
Hopefully none of it circulated into the heater core or you'll be dealing with a whole different set of issues.

P
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need some opinions, the heater valve is missing ...

a local mechanic told me that steam could do that. oddly the car does not overheat and seems to run fine. doesn't seen to have any head gasket issues i know of, either. so, its likely that any failed parts from overheating or anything related were replaced before i got the car.

i talked to an independent tech that works on Hondas and he said that the rust and crap running thru the system could have pulverized the valve over time. so, add this into the mix of overheating and maybe it all adss up.

since this post i discovered some small, white, oval, shaped plastic pieces lying under the car after backflushing. i'm fairly certain that the plastic is the valve broken up and melted into these shapes. just wish i knew what caused this phenomena.

Last edited by AtoZ; 01-15-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: adding information