Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Need help setting timing after distributor o-ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help setting timing after distributor o-ring replacement

I recently installed a distributor o-ring in my 1996 Accord 4cyl, LX, see thread below.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/96-accord-leaking-oil-need-help-2643803/

Assuming I can get the broken piece fixed without taking out a second mortgage. I think I will need to set the timing.

After I installed the ring and tried to start it it won't start so I am assuming the timing is off. I marked all the wires so I'm sure they are in the right place, I marked the dist. and engine block and made sure the lines line up fine. I made sure the fins are in the right place.

I'm not really sure what I did wrong, the only thing I can think of is I didn't set it to the first cylinder, although from what I have read I didn't think it was necessary for this car.

So if I need to manually set the timing can someone please help me out with the knowledge part here or post a link that shows how to get to the timing wheel or whatever it is called, and how to use the timing gun? I searched the FAQ and the forums and didn't see anything on how to do this.

Also how do you get the cover off the timing belt, if that is even necessary?

EDIT: I did just find the below statement in another thread. Could that be all I need to do? Just turn the fins 180 degrees and try it again. I didn't think the got turned around but it is possible.

"lol put it on and if the car runs your good to go, but if it doesnt start the timing is 180 degrees off so just take it off and turn it 180 and slap it back on, since there are only 2 different ways it can go on you have a 50 50 chance of getting it right lol"

Last edited by Hondatastic; 09-14-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Need help setting timing after distributor o-ring replacement

the tab on the distributor that fits into the end of the camshaft should only be able to go in one way. it's offset from center so if you have it 180° off it won't fit in.

the pictures weren't showing up but i think i know what you're talking about. it's part of the rocker arm assembly and my suggestion would be to get a complete assembly from a junkyard or individual in the marketplace forum. they can be a trick to get back together when you take them apart! you will need to set your valve lash after it's installed.

there should be no need to take the t-belt cover off... the spark timing is set with the distributor itself and a timing light.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the same thing long time ago.

Long story short, I think I might have assembled the distributor wrong and car won't start and I ended up getting a used distributor in the junk shop.

I just turn the distributor in the middle and start the car and when its warm enough I use a timing light for the timing.

I believe the timing is 15 degrees 2 -/+

And now my distributor is leaking again but not much, I don't even bother removing it anymore just to replace the o-ring.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats good to know, so it must be in the right way I just need to set the timing. Does anyone know where I can get instructions and hopefully a few pics on how to do this? I've never set timing before.

Thanks a lot for any help and advice you all can give me.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondatastic
Thats good to know, so it must be in the right way I just need to set the timing. Does anyone know where I can get instructions and hopefully a few pics on how to do this? I've never set timing before.

Thanks a lot for any help and advice you all can give me.
There is no way to physically set your timing from the distributor side. The 1996 Accord timing is set throught the ECU & timing belt. Only if you removed the timing belt would your timing be off. Other than that. I wold guess that you put the keyway back into the distributor 180° out or you have the wires mixed up.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
There is no way to physically set your timing from the distributor side. The 1996 Accord timing is set throught the ECU & timing belt.
i thought that wasn't untill '98... does that apply to both VTEC and non-VTEC accords '96 and '97?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know timing on the 90-93 as well as the f22b jdm motors are loosen the bolt on the distributor and shift it forward and backword to adjust the timing as needed them tighten them all back up
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if it is sputtering and acting like it is trying to start then I just need to rotate it a little until it gets to where it will start?

I'm pretty sure the wires are good, I labeled them from the beginning before I took anything apart.

The only other issue is there was oil in the spark plugs wells, but it was also like that when I first took them out so I have been running like that.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

My 1996 OBD2 F22B2 distributor has about 1/8 of an inch of fine tune, "timing adjustment". If you want to call it an adjustment. Not sure if it would be enough to solve a timing issue or not?

Move it both ways and see what happens, it may work. I've had mine adjusted the 1/8" both ways and it started.

OP, check and make sure that the ground wire on the distributor base is securely connected and free of contaminants.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM

I also think its off by 180, I didn't see a kyy or groove in the magnet pick up side that goes into the cam, but it won't take long to confirm or dismiss this theory.

Check all yout HT leads for continuity as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondatastic
So if it is sputtering and acting like it is trying to start then I just need to rotate it a little until it gets to where it will start?

I'm pretty sure the wires are good, I labeled them from the beginning before I took anything apart.

The only other issue is there was oil in the spark plugs wells, but it was also like that when I first took them out so I have been running like that.
does the car crank at least?

if it does take spark plug out and try to turn the car on and see a spark... your spark plugs may be covered in oil due to the valve cover gasket being shot
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all.

Ground is plugged int but I will make sure to clean it up well.

I'll try to rotate it and see what happens, that very well could have rotated without me knowing it. Although I read somewhere that they are offset so you can't rotate it 180 and make it fit. I have no idea though, they may have been refering to another type.

It cranks and acts as if it is about to start like I though it was going to a few times but it never did. I took all the wires out with the spark plug attached and each wire gave a spark, I haven't tested all the spark plugs yet though.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
There is no way to physically set your timing from the distributor side. The 1996 Accord timing is set throught the ECU & timing belt. Only if you removed the timing belt would your timing be off. Other than that. I wold guess that you put the keyway back into the distributor 180° out or you have the wires mixed up.
this man knows what he is talking about! Thanks so much! I removed my dizzy and couldnt for the life of me figure it out, the info about the ecu does the timing and i could have it 180 degrees off was totally correct. u solved my issue wish I could pm u all this. but ya, flipped the key way 180 degrees mounted the dizzy up and she fired right up!