Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake

I have searched but still have not found the answer I am looking for.

I would like to raise my MPG as much as I can with doing something to the intake. I couldn’t care less about what sound it makes, but of course the performance gains are welcome. The goal, however, is to achieve the most MPG as possible.

I was going to go with the obvious, and pray that I get any type of mileage gain from the no name SRI eBay pipe and K&N filter. Or would it be just the same to drop in a K&N replacement filter and remove the resonator from the stock intake?

I'm sure the performance gains from the SRI are minimal through low-end tq, but are there any performance gain from a drop in K&N?

Is there a DIY on this resonator delete I have read about?

eBay pipe plus K&N = $70
K&N replacement and resonator delete = $35

Thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (blitzed310)

Drive like a granny
<3k rpm @ about 70mph

Accelerate slowly

2 10mm bolts hold in the resonator in a CD5 it's in the passenger side bumper area

I've been doing it the past couple fillups and have gotten between 28-34 highway/city

edit** forgot to mention I've got stock intake and filter, just removed the resonator, I picked up a CAI today though that I'll see how my MPG is

Modified by TheMuffinMan at 2:09 PM 9/25/2006
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drive like a granny
&lt;3k rpm @ about 70mph

Accelerate slowly

2 10mm bolts hold in the resonator in a CD5 it's in the passenger side bumper area

I've been doing it the past couple fillups and have gotten between 28-34 highway/city</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty much what he said or try 65mph at like 2700rpm
Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (SuShiBoiiii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuShiBoiiii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pretty much what he said or try 65mph at like 2700rpm</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do 80 miles roundtrip to work and doing 65 would have the semi-trucks honking at me the whole time. But I understand your point.

I'm new to the Honda world and I am not up to par on my chassis codes but mine is a 98 4cyl, I think that means its a CG something?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM

I'm just going to go with a K&N drop in.

Where is the cheapest place to buy this filter? TIA
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K&N's don't filter well. Your better off buying a stack of $7 paper filters from autohaus arizona (free shiping &gt;$50 and no tax to CA). They're good quality btw.

I was on the K&N boat at one time....now i'm off.

Modified by RotaryBzzzz at 10:26 PM 9/27/2006
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (RotaryBzzzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotaryBzzzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">K&N's don't filter well. Your better off buying a stack of $7 paper filters from autohaus arizona (free shiping &gt;$50 and no tax to CA). They're good quality btw.

I was on the K&N boat at one time....now i'm off.

Modified by RotaryBzzzz at 10:26 PM 9/27/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

What makes you say this? Then what would you suggest other than paper filters? I run K&N in all my bimmers with no trouble. They have been proven to filter very well when maintained. However, they have also proven to filter better the older and dirtier they get.

I recognize you from bimmerforums btw
Old 09-27-2006, 02:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

K&N Filters are nice, but dont filter at all. I would suggest a SRI and a basic filter, get one of the $30 SRI kits on eBay, its the same thing you would get from AEM or somewhere, except they slap a sticker on it and sell it fro 120.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (m1ndless)

AEM uses K&N filters. I have read that most all people buy those eBay kits then slap the K&N on there. I would venture to say that the filtering between a K&N vs. a paper filter is negliable at best.

The money you pay for an AEM kit gets you a CARB sticker and you dont have to worry about inspections.

Modified by blitzed310 at 4:59 PM 9/27/2006
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blitzed310 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What makes you say this? Then what would you suggest other than paper filters? I run K&N in all my bimmers with no trouble. They have been proven to filter very well when maintained. However, they have also proven to filter better the older and dirtier they get.

I recognize you from bimmerforums btw</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey - It's the research that's come out of http://www.bobistheoilguy.com showing K&N's do a pretty bad job of filtering. They flow well but when it comes to filtering....they suck.

Check it out this no money involved testing from the authority on filters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...3.htm

"Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think. "

Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (RotaryBzzzz)

so whats a good filter then should i got pick up a apexi or a blitz one then?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (SuShiBoiiii)

didn't i did a big **** review on intake and filter?

apexi filter suppose to be the best, too bad they cost like 80 dollar and they are not serviceable.

blitz' sh-t sucks
Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
New User

Default Re: How To Yield The Most MPG From Intake (iam7head)

K&N filters are fine...I really wouldn't worry about the "filtering" job this website is using as It isn't going to let anything you need to worry about through the filter...I've never heard of anyone experience engine trouble or damage due to a K&N filter, not to mention a drop in filter...Also K&N filters can be cleaned which makes them cheaper in the long run...just my opinion though...