Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda Accord ground wires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord ground wires.

My 1995 Honda Accord is acting real funny. She would take a while to fire up and sputter to life, I replaced the dizzy cap and rotor. However, she has decided that reving above 4k is impossible and she now wants to be absolutely useless in second gear or above. Starting to lose my patience with this car. Thank you for your help. If it helps I replaced the slave cylinder before this started happening (maybe something got disconnected while I was working??)

Symptoms:
  • Hard Starting
  • Idle is *NOT* Rough
  • Car will not go above 4000k in any gear
  • No power in second
  • Randomly dies
  • Misfires like a mf.
Attempted fixes
  • Distributor Cap and Rotor
  • Tested Ignition Coil (working)
  • Car is in time
  • Replaced spark plugs
​​​​​​​I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I think I failed to mention that the car idles and revs fine in neutral or with the clutch pushed in. It is only after I begin to drive that it runs horribly.

Last edited by quicksandcd7; 02-28-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord ground wires.

In your attempt to get more power, did you move the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)? If so, tune it back to the way it was.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did not remove the TPS, I removed and cleaned the throttle a while back. But it had no impact on the car.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:43 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Does the CEL/MIL lamp work?
Have you checked for any stored codes?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the check light works great. I inserted a jumper pin into the diagnostic port and the light solid, took the jumper out and nothing. Is this how you check for stored codes?
Old 02-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello all. Was just browsing around and found this post where someone said the experienced the same issue. Never saw if they fixed it or not but just thought this might be useful. Before I put money into a new distributor, I would like to know if there is anything else I can check. To my understanding there are ground wires near/ around the thermostat housing that can cause the CYP and TDC sensor to receive bad data. Any help would be amazing. Here's the link to the post I read: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...light-3334365/
Thanks in advance, QuicksandCD7
Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Does the CEL/MIL lamp work?
Have you checked for any stored codes?
Rechecked the ECU for codes, did not find anything. (See above) Is there a specific way to go about checking for stored codes?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quicksandcd7
Did not remove the TPS, I removed and cleaned the throttle a while back. But it had no impact on the car.
Negative, the TPS has remained in place. I did clean the throttle body a while back but it did not make any changes to the way my car ran.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:13 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes the check light works great. I inserted a jumper pin into the diagnostic port and the light solid, took the jumper out and nothing. Is this how you check for stored codes?
Yup, if the light is on and when you jumper the SCS connector the light stays on solid, then most likely the ECM is running off the backup system.
Verify the memory fuse is good and no other fuses are blown or missing.
Rechecked the ECU for codes, did not find anything. (See above) Is there a specific way to go about checking for stored codes?
Thanks in advance
If the memory is functioning correctly, the codes will be stored.
Active codes will blink with no SCS jumpered.
Hard codes/faulty will keep the CEL lamp illuminated.
Jumping the SCS with the ignition turned to II(ON) should net you a code. If not either the ECM is in backup mode or the memory fuse is blown and any codes will not be stored if the key is turned off.

Limited rpm(usually no more than 4Krpm possible) is an indication that the vehicle is in 'limp mode'.

On the 94-97 Accords the engine harness ground is attached to the end of the intake manifold under the 'boost valve'. Look at where the PS hose bracket is under the corner of the intake, reach down and you will feel the engine harness and a couple of wires bolted to the intake manifold under the boost valve(where all the smaller vacuum hoses attach).
G1 ground is the small jumper coming off the negative battery lead to the body.
G2 is the ground bonding jumper that attaches to either side of the engine mount and the valve/cam cover corner.
G101 is the main engine harness ground that attaches below the boost valve on 94-97s (90-93 cars attach to the thermostat housing).
Even if the bolts/wires are attached and look good, remove the bolts and verify there is no corrosion, goo, or junk causing a high resistance ground. Clean the terminal end and bolt, if you can pickup some OX-Guard or similar anti-oxidant conductive grease. Be warned, some anti-seize compounds are actually insulators, verify they are conductive before using.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Yup, if the light is on and when you jumper the SCS connector the light stays on solid, then most likely the ECM is running off the backup system.
Verify the memory fuse is good and no other fuses are blown or missing.

If the memory is functioning correctly, the codes will be stored.
Active codes will blink with no SCS jumpered.
Hard codes/faulty will keep the CEL lamp illuminated.
Jumping the SCS with the ignition turned to II(ON) should net you a code. If not either the ECM is in backup mode or the memory fuse is blown and any codes will not be stored if the key is turned off.

Limited rpm(usually no more than 4Krpm possible) is an indication that the vehicle is in 'limp mode'.

On the 94-97 Accords the engine harness ground is attached to the end of the intake manifold under the 'boost valve'. Look at where the PS hose bracket is under the corner of the intake, reach down and you will feel the engine harness and a couple of wires bolted to the intake manifold under the boost valve(where all the smaller vacuum hoses attach).
G1 ground is the small jumper coming off the negative battery lead to the body.
G2 is the ground bonding jumper that attaches to either side of the engine mount and the valve/cam cover corner.
G101 is the main engine harness ground that attaches below the boost valve on 94-97s (90-93 cars attach to the thermostat housing).
Even if the bolts/wires are attached and look good, remove the bolts and verify there is no corrosion, goo, or junk causing a high resistance ground. Clean the terminal end and bolt, if you can pickup some OX-Guard or similar anti-oxidant conductive grease. Be warned, some anti-seize compounds are actually insulators, verify they are conductive before using.
I will be sure to try some of this when I am able. I never thought to check the memory fuse. Anyways, what is known to cause the car to go into “limp mode” also if it helps the ground to the body broke off a while ago, so I don’t know if that would impact the car.