Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help! Wife's car won't crank. Scratching head at this point.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Wife's car won't crank. Scratching head at this point.

So my wife's car (1999 Accord EX V6) won't crank (makes no noise when you try, nothing) and I have exhausted all that I know, so I hope one of you fine folks can help. Heres what I have verified:

Battery is good: used a voltmeter to test voltage and drop when trying to crank. Had it tested at the shop too
Starter checks: pulled it and made sure it extends and turns at autozone with their tester
The starter relay gets power to it when you try to crank it, checked using a voltmeter
Checked voltage to cables, cleaned and tightened cable connections.
Pulled the ignition switch and it was fine (checked continuity using the voltmeter)
Fuses are good
Starter is getting power and the back terminal is hot when trying to crank
Thought it might have been the ground wire from the battery so I changed it, didnt help.
Tried starting in park and neutral
Lights dont noticeably dim when cranking
Tried bridging with a screwdriver and it sparked a bit but nothing.
Tried jumping the car, nothing.
Is there something I am missing? The solenoid is getting power across it when you crank it, but nothing happens, yet when I try the starter out of the engine its perfect.
The last thing I know is to try and hand crank the engine a bit to see if its seized. Oil was fine though and no noticeable signs of overheating.

It was driven fine 45 miles home and wouldnt crank at that point. The last time it was started was a bit difficult (took about 4 seconds)

I am by no means an expert or really technically savy with cars in any way. Just doing what I can at home.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Help! Wife's car won't crank. Scratching head at this point.

if you're able to jump the starter and it sparks but it doesn't crank then the starter is bad, that's normally just the contacts going bad and you can swap out the contacts and it'll be good again

one thing you can try is to hit the starter real hard with something and try starting it, sometimes it's enough to push the contacts together so you can start it, this will confirm the contacts are bad
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMore
So my wife's car (1999 Accord EX V6) won't crank (makes no noise when you try, nothing) and I have exhausted all that I know, so I hope one of you fine folks can help. Heres what I have verified:

Battery is good: used a voltmeter to test voltage and drop when trying to crank. Had it tested at the shop too
Starter checks: pulled it and made sure it extends and turns at autozone with their tester
The starter relay gets power to it when you try to crank it, checked using a voltmeter
Checked voltage to cables, cleaned and tightened cable connections.
Pulled the ignition switch and it was fine (checked continuity using the voltmeter)
Fuses are good
Starter is getting power and the back terminal is hot when trying to crank
Thought it might have been the ground wire from the battery so I changed it, didnt help.
Tried starting in park and neutral
Lights dont noticeably dim when cranking
Tried bridging with a screwdriver and it sparked a bit but nothing.
Tried jumping the car, nothing.
Is there something I am missing? The solenoid is getting power across it when you crank it, but nothing happens, yet when I try the starter out of the engine its perfect.
The last thing I know is to try and hand crank the engine a bit to see if its seized. Oil was fine though and no noticeable signs of overheating.

It was driven fine 45 miles home and wouldnt crank at that point. The last time it was started was a bit difficult (took about 4 seconds)

I am by no means an expert or really technically savy with cars in any way. Just doing what I can at home.
Sounds like a bad starter. Bench testing a starter is a fairly useless test. The starter must be tested under a load(ie. trying to turn an engine over) From your testing,I conclude the starter is bad.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I concur starter may be bad, although you should at least hear it click when turning the ignition.

Could also be a bad ground to the engine or transmission case, since the starter is grounded thru them.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn the engine with a socket on the crank pulley.

Use jumper cables and a piece of wire to test the starter in place, installed. You can also use them as a ground from the trans to the chassis, and power from the battery to the starter.

Bypass the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch. If it's manual, attempt a bump start.