Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP TEMP NEEDLE STOP WORKING 2000 ACCORD

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP TEMP NEEDLE STOP WORKING 2000 ACCORD

Help i just did a transmission swap to my 00 accord. before hands everything on my cluster was working fine. i swap the transmission out and put the new one in, i did however remove both the trans and engine out of the car. did timing and waterpump. when i got everything in i started the car to bleed the coolant. the temp gauge was working fine the needle started moving to the center as the car started warning up. then a few minute later i check again and the temp needle was on top as if it was overheating. so i turn the car off and check the coolant it was still cold now this is getting odd? i started the car again and the temp gauge just up to h and drop back down all the way before C and will not move anymore. now im getting heat and the car is running and driving fine. but the needle will not move.

I swap out the cluster but im getting the same result. i also look at the two main ground to the chasis and motor they are fine.

anyone have any input please advise
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP TEMP NEEDLE STOP WORKING 2000 ACCORD

I had a similar issue years back. I believe a short from the sending unit causes this. If the needle goes straight to hot, and you don't turn the ignition off after a couple seconds, it can actually damage the gauge itself. I'll take a look at the service manual when I get home to refresh my memory.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright let me know. is the sending unit located on the therostat housing. also the first couple of time when i started the car the temo needle would go straight to hot not its just sitting there below cold.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still need help??
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DisOnesAPlaya
alright let me know. is the sending unit located on the therostat housing. also the first couple of time when i started the car the temo needle would go straight to hot not its just sitting there below cold.
The sending unit(s) are located on the side of the head, just below the distributor.

Originally Posted by DisOnesAPlaya
still need help??
There are two separate ways to troubleshoot the issue. One is for when the temp gauge goes past H, and the other when it won't move at all. Assuming there's no damage to the cluster, let's go with the procedure for the gauge not moving at all...

1. With the ignition off, you'll need to use a jumper wire to connect the ECU connector C pin 24 to body ground. (Yellow/Green wire) Leave the connector plugged in to the ECU for this step.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON.

-After 30 seconds or so, does the temp needle move to H? If it does, you might have a bad ECU. If not, go to the next step.

3. Turn the ignition switch OFF and disconnect only connector C from the ECU.

4. Turn the ignition switch back to ON and measure the voltage between connector C pin 24 and body ground.

-If you see ~5v, then your gauge is bad and needs to be replaced. If not, go to the next step.

5. Turn the ignition switch to OFF. Check for continuity between ECU connector C pin 24 and the gauge assembly connector C pin 2. (Yellow/Green wire on both ends)

If there is continuity, the temp gauge is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is no connectivity, then you have an open in the wire between the ECU connector and gauge assembly connector.

Let us know what happens.